FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Patriot's Day

Author Topic: Happy Patriot's Day
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Down with Tyranny

I was standing on a stool at the Lexington battle green this morning at 5:30 (my sixth year going to the Lexington reenactment). The crowd was at least seven deep this year, all the way around. Rough estimate I'd say there were about 5000 people packed in, craning to get a view.

This is one of my favorite things about living in Massachusetts.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Patriots' Day to you as well!

How much recognition does Patriots' Day get outside of Maine and Massachusetts?

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeorge:

Having grown up in Connecticut, I don't ever remember having heard of it before now. If that tells you anything.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just out of frame in a couple of the shots in this review of the morning's reenactment. You can get a bit of a feel for how dense the crowd was.

I'd never heard of Patriots' Day, growing up in Utah. But, as I said before, it's one of my favorite things about living in Massachusetts.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeorge
Member # 11524

- posted      Profile for Jeorge           Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, it's only an official holiday in Mass & Maine, but I was under the impression that in some other states it was at least informally commemorated. From the lack of response to this thread, I'm thinking maybe not.

Of course, Patriots' Day used to be an official holiday in just one state. That was back when Massachusetts was part of Maine, before we booted you guys out.

Posts: 324 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Going to the reenactment again tomorrow. Seventh time in eight years. I'm also debating staying up late to commemorate the midnight ride of Paul Revere.

Anyway, Happy Patriot's Day everyone.

Pegasus
Member # 10464

- posted      Profile for Pegasus   Email Pegasus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Of course, Patriots' Day used to be an official holiday in just one state. That was back when Massachusetts was part of Maine, before we booted you guys out.

Like we wanted to be there anyway [Razz]

I keep forgetting that Patriot's Day isn't a national holiday.

Posts: 369 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Wait, there is a whole holiday for a single football team?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Patriots' Day!

Or, as it should probably be known, Independence Day. That whole declaration thing? Just a formalization of what happened around Boston a year prior.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Patriots' Day. And no offense, that other Patriot Day should be renamed.

And my favorite local holiday is Evacuation Day. [Smile]

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.