FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does anyone else love Tower Defense?

Author Topic: Does anyone else love Tower Defense?
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp

I'm kind of addicted to the Fun mode with 10k gold. The design I'm working with is two Us intertwined with one another, and it carried me through level 83.

My high score: http://i39.tinypic.com/2zi2efc.jpg

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all tower defense games [Big Grin]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 10k mode is impossible to win (at least without juggling). I hate the flying creeps the most.
Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I admit... I'm a Hordes of Orcs addict.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought Tower Defense was a chess strategy. I was all ready to be schooled.

Not that your little game isn't charming in its own right... [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I like them on a basic level. I get annoyed with ones that are more about scoring points rather than actually defending your tower.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

This is the design I've been using variations on, but nothing's cracking level 83. Anyone know how to improve on it?

http://i41.tinypic.com/zlu4c9.jpg

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You bastions with enhanced pellets seem a bit pointless unless you upgrade the pellet towers. Even with a full upgrade of the enhancing tower, you only get +50% damage IIRC, and that makes your pellets go all the way to 7.5. I suggest you drop an enhancement tower and use the money for upgrades. Oh, and freeze towers just before strongly upgraded squirt towers ftw!
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

That was my pre-game setup -- I'd used all my money, and I couldn't earn more until I started. The pellet towers are placeholders, usually for squirt towers and the occasional swarm and bash towers.

The boost towers aren't worth it unless you can get them enhancing five or more towers, at which point they're AWESOME. So you basically HAVE to build a path around little forts, while making the route as long as possible. I'm honestly lost on how to improve this.

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, ok. Pre-setup. Then I don't know.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Was a big Gemcraft fan. Waiting for the sequel.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The sequel's already out, and it is great: http://www.towerdefence.net/ (check out the other highly rated games there, too).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Having played around with it, I have a thought: Combine your bastions into one long one, like so:

SSSS
SBBS
SSSS

The four squirts that are adjacent to two boosts get a 100% bonus. Compare to the two-bastion layout:

SSS SSS
SBS SBS
SSS SSS

The two bastions have 18 squirts boosted to 150%, for 27 squirt-equivalents. The double bastion has six at 150%, and four at 200%, for 17 equivalents. Dividing by the number of fully upgraded squirt towers, we get 27/18 = 1.5 (naturally, since each tower is boosted 50%), versus 17/10 = 1.7. Going to a triple bastion:

SSSSS
SBBBS
SSSSS

we find a ratio of (6*1.5 + 4*2 + 2*2.5 = 22) / 12 = 1.83. This sequence is going asymptotically to 2.5, at the limit where the edge squirts don't matter. Conclusion: Build bigger bastions!

Sterling
Member # 8096

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
The sequel's already out, and it is great: http://www.towerdefence.net/ (check out the other highly rated games there, too).

Prequel, technically. Not to split hairs.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I refuse to acknowledge something with no connecting material to suggest it came 'before' as a prequel [Wink]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

I haven't completed "Chapter 0", but my suspicion is that

*SPOILER if you haven't played to the end of the original "Gemcraft"*

The evil, unstoppable force that overtakes the protaganist at the end of "Gemcraft" is what the protaganist of "Chapter 0" becomes at the end of his arc. The "loading progress bar" with the tentacles bursting out of the humanoid figure as he walks along seems to reinforce this suspicion.

Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I've played so many different versions of this game it's not funny.

For some ideas of what others have done, might I suggest youtube?

SOE's new "Free Realms" even has a couple of TD mini-games in it. The ones I've found so far use penguins as the towers, or anotheer uses a kind of "wasp-man" (bixie). I'm sure I'll find others as I continue to explore the game.

FWIW, my favorite version of TD is at www.candystand.com and is called "Vector TD."

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad they upped the difficulty in Chapter 0. The orignial Gemcraft was stupidly easy.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Eh. They changed it (Tower Defense, that is), now it sucks. I can't find the 100-wave mode anymore. [Frown]
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing Chapter 0 for the past two days 0_0 HELP! I've been sucked in!
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

Just finished the thing, kind of relieved. No flash game should take up that much of one's time...!

Gemcraft Chapter 0: *SPOILER*

I was pretty much on target with my plot prediction, not that Gemcraft is exactly great literature. The ending has you unleash the Evil Uberbad by trying to take the Gem of Eternity for yourself; as the next game opens, Uberbad is using the life-force of both the protaganist of Chapter 0 and the protaganist of Chapter 1 to take on a form that will allow her to reclaim the powers she had before she was sealed away.

Morale of the story, kids: if all the most powerful wizards in the world warn you not to touch it, and it's sealed behind monsters and multiple layers of magical wards in an underground fortress that looks suspiciously like a tomb, maybe there's a reason.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.