FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where should I start in the Sandman Series?

Author Topic: Where should I start in the Sandman Series?
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently finished the GN Watchmen and enjoyed it more than I expected. I've previously read V for Vendetta, and people (including people here) have recommended the Sandman series. But there seems to be more than one Sandman series? I'm having trouble finding where to start.

Is there a good starting place, or should I just dive right in to whatever I can get my hands on?

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd start with Preludes and Nocturnes. The first time I read it I just read the collections available at my library at any given time, and it was pretty dissatisfying. The second time I borrowed the ten book from my girlfriend and read them in order. It was only then that I was able to really appreciate them fully.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The first issue I read was the last one in the first collection. Much later, I got to read the first 5 (I think) issues, and while they aren't as good as the following ones (IMO), they do give some good background for things that follow. So you should do like Julie Andrews says and start at the very beginning. It is, after all, a very good place to start.

Also, read the Lucifer books afterwards. They're sort of a spin-off, and they were mostly excellent.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely in order.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
And the beginning is the Preludes and Nocturnes?
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually been doing this recently:

It goes "Preludes and Nocturnes", "In The Doll's House", and "Dream Country." (I just finished reading dream country)

I actually started with Doll's House, and found it's a pretty decent place to start off too... since it's pretty much the beginning of the actual story. You'll want to read Preludes before Dream Country, though.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

White Whale, yes, Preludes and Nocturnes is the first book in the series.

Am I right in thinking, though, that the issues collected in In The Doll's House were actually the first ones to see print? I've heard that that is the case, but have never actually looked into it to see if it was true or not. Anybody know?

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Not true. Preludes and Nocturnes is issues 1-8 of the comic. The first seven issues are a single storyline, and issue 8 was a standalone story.

The reason you may have heard this is that the first collection that was released was The Doll's House (which originally included issue 8 as well). It was only later that they reprinted the first issues as Preludes and Nocturnes.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, okay. Thanks!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Start with Preludes. If you read issue #4 and you aren't hooked, stop and pick up issue #50. If you can read that one and aren't hooked, either, you won't like the series.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.