FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Man twitters with just his brain.

Author Topic: Man twitters with just his brain.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating Stuff!

I genuinely hope this can be developed into a solution for people with "locked-in" syndrome. But beyond that I think it's just another step closer to being able to speak just by thinking, and that by itself has so many cool possibilities.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
When do they invent the thing that prevents people from saying whatever they are thinking?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
It's called "duct tape." 'Tis a sound investment.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
pun intended?
While the detecting the desired letter isn't revolutionary it is still totally awesome. This sort of thing is really fantastic. It reminds me why I'm in college, to help with such awesomeness.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
This is great! I wonder why nobody has done it up to now?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I am not a fan of Twitter, I have to admit that is freakin' awesome.
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, most people seem to twitter without having to use their brains.

:skadoosh!:

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starsnuffer
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for Starsnuffer   Email Starsnuffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Haha, nice Orincoro. Twitter is relatively new, I'd say that is a primary reason why people haven't done this precise thing before now. But why people haven't done tried extensive emailing is slightly explained in some article I read about this--basically that emailing had too many complexities and it's much simpler to just type your message and then type send on twitter then having to choose a specific person to send it to, etc etc.
Posts: 655 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
It'd be good to develop a program like this to "learn words"

By this I mean, a person spells out the word, then, once the word is complete, concentrates on "saying" the word in his mind, and the computer learns that word simply by reading the brainwaves to create it. A patient person doing it full time could get a good dictionary compiled in about half a year, and at that point, potentially communicate much faster than anyone simply speaking.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
You're assuming thoughts move faster than speech- especially thoughts which are being converted into speech in your head already. I seriously doubt that's the case.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
You're assuming thoughts move faster than speech- especially thoughts which are being converted into speech in your head already. I seriously doubt that's the case.

Potentially, I could see how a computer could display words faster than the human tongue could keep up. It takes a lot of time to say some of our polysyllabic words like...well..."polysyllabic" [Wink]

Or words like "crocodile," "managerial," "transportation," and "cataclysmic." Based on the sheer amount of sounds you have to negotiate, a computer could quite likely keep pace with a person speaking with an extended vocabulary. Now if the technology gets stuck on letters and basic words than no, it will lag considerably behind proper speech.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, it could go to images!

That would be way cooler [Big Grin]

Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this the other day and was amazed. While it is true that picking out a desired letter isn't revolutionary, the fact that he got that far in so little time leads me to believe there is much MUCH more that can be done with this technology. I'm eagerly awaiting the next development...
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the fact that he got that far in so little time leads me to believe there is much MUCH more that can be done with this technology
Well, once you've got the ability to pick out a desired letter -- which is the hard part -- writing an interface that allows the finished product to be uploaded to the site of your choice is really pretty trivial.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.