FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Practically speaking how different is C# from C++?

Author Topic: Practically speaking how different is C# from C++?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
C# as I understand it is more geared to .NET and network programming C++ is more of an Object Oriented language, what sort of practical differences would I be seeing if I tried to program in C#? I'm pretty well acquinted with C++ just not quite with C#.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
#, VM, M$
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay asked my teacher(s) to sum it up in a word: Huge.

Time to visit Chapters for a new C reference book.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
C# is not very much like C++, besides being an imperative, object-oriented language that is in the same syntax family (C-like languages).

It is definitely "more geared" to .NET, in the sense of being written to be part of .NET, while managed C++ is C++ mangled to fit in .NET. Is is not any more 'geared to' network programming than C++, though, and is definitely not less object oriented.

The main practical differences are, better built in libraries for C# (though the collections library is bad; there's a better 3rd party open source one), some interesting language mechanisms (type inference and LINQ, to name a couple), and garbage collection (not that you can't have garbage-collected objects in C++).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
They're both Turing-complete (modulo memory limits, of course) programming languages for von Neumann architectures. So the differences are really quite tiny in the big picture.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Of course, so are prolog, haskell, befunge, and regular expressions with the perl extensions, so having those qualities is, for almost all practical purposes, nearly useless for determining if a language is similar.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the real question should be, "How is C# different from Db?"

It's a question that often confounds even my brightest students...

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Big picture, fugu. Big picture! I think Blayne ought to take a look at Brainf*ck.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Ook! is the superior dialect of that.

I think my favorite esolang is Homespring, though, one of the metaphor-oriented languages: http://xeny.net/HOtMEfSPRIbNG

Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
LOLCODE FTW.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hedwig
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for Hedwig           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
C# as I understand it is more geared to .NET and network programming C++ is more of an Object Oriented language, what sort of practical differences would I be seeing if I tried to program in C#? I'm pretty well acquinted with C++ just not quite with C#.

It would be a disaster. Of course I pretty much assume that would be true if you tried to do [i]anything[i] in [i]anything[i].
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorta like when you try to use UBB code?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
I think the real question should be, "How is C# different from Db?"

It's a question that often confounds even my brightest students...

Short answer: there was life before Bach.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.