FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » time travel and issues with forums

Author Topic: time travel and issues with forums
nik
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for nik           Edit/Delete Post 
So, I just time traveled this afternoon, and while many things have changed (so excited about this new president you all elected!) I was delighted to see the same forum software.

I attempted to login, and well, I'll be darned. Well great! I'll just get back to what I was talking about this morning and....

Uh oh, its gone. I can't find the thread I was posting in. I just posted after breakfast, jumped in my machine, jumped back out, and my thread is gone!

"This must be some kind of mistake", says I. So, I ran a search on my username.

Lo and behold, everything pre august-2003 is gone! Unless the thread lasted longer then that. Which means, my only known proof of existence lies in that darn Word of the Day thread.

So I take it posts aren't saved longer then six years then huh? This will greatly restrict my future movement capabilities. I will now have to travel in these silly hatrack-purge increments.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
0.o I'm gonna have to require proof of this ability. What will happen to me within 24 hours.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back! You joined just before I did - and I can vouch that you did in fact post here in days of yore.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nik
Member # 2114

^Well of course you can FlyingCow, it was just yesterday we were posting in the "July 14th - OFHEO wants to investigate Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae" thread... oh wait.

Whatever happened with... OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU PEOPLE DONE?!

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nik
Member # 2114

Blayne Bradley, you will post your 7117th post.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya, nik.

Might want to update your profile . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd add that by making this thread you've increased your chances of surviving the next 6 years by 100%.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"There is no misguided 'let's minimalize the archives to keep things simple' automatic deletion policy.
"Excluding thread deletion by thread originators, self-deletion by posters, and maybe a couple or three (literally) deletions by the moderators for absurdly intemperate language, all deletions have been for the purpose of fixing MAJOR forum crashes."

[Since 2006 there have been a very small number threads deleted because they were posted by commercial spammers]

"Well, and if I recall correctly, after a certain period of time, they just disappear off into the wilderness, no?

"Not as far as I am aware.

"There was an archive loss when the forum made the switchover from the ?LionGate?program over to the UBBprogram.

"Then someone who took the Worry, me Worry thread -- which became the template for the LastPost threads -- a mite too seriously broke the forum program. And all but a couple of handfuls of threads backwards from that date were deleted / made inaccessable for the (not so) quick-fix to remove the hack.

"Then someone else broke the program a year or so later with a hack/prank thread meant to mock the LastPost threads. And the archives lost another year or so of archives for another {not-so) quick-fix.

"So basicly there were only a couple of double handfuls of threads left from before August2003. And when UBB made their last major forum program overhaul last year," [2005] "the threads which hadn't been active since August2003 were deleted / made inaccessable (probably for simplicity).

"Dobie's June 27, 2001 Word of the Day thread contains the earliest* of my postings still left, December 28, 2001.
So I don't think there has ever been any policy of an automatic expiration date or of deliberate deletion to save disc space.

"* Heaven forfend that thou wouldst think that I should floccinaucinihilipilificate the sanctity of the Word of the Day to engage in mere sesquipedalianistic jest."

[ April 28, 2009, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nik
Member # 2114

rivka, I thought about it, but for all I can tell, my profile may one of the oldest things I've typed on the internet that I can still find. Broken links and all, it's kind of nostalgic.

Then again, nostalgia really isn't what it used to be.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want people to think you're still in HS, go for it. It's one way to seem exceptionally mature for your age.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
That reminds me. I'm seven years old. [Smile]
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.