FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Recession hits my workplace

Author Topic: Recession hits my workplace
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
My first career out of college was as a marketing analyst contractor with company X. I already got 1 extension and a raise. It's an awesome company.

The bad news is that my company is a 50/50 joint venture with a French company, and there is this program called the VIE that the French government sponsors that sends French graduates to work abroad for French companies. So the skinny of it is, I'm not getting another extension because they are ditching me to take on a clueless French student because it is SUPER cheap for my company. I've known about it for a few months, but am having the worst time finding ANYTHING that i could consider a career.

And I can't even be mad at the person replacing me. She visited for a week and she seems cool and could do the job well in time. Not sure what else to say in this rant... asdflk;jargiopjasdfdnjasdfkho;asdfoi;SFDOHSDGJHssdfouihSDFJHsdfjiohDF;JIWE8Fwyhfewno;iufjW;3ORIFUJ!!!!!

Job hunting for 4 months straight every week and not finding anything sure dampens your confidence. They say wait a few years before going to grad school, but I'm seriously considering taking out a HUGE student loan and just going back to school.

Ummm, so i guess I'm sharing this for advice or suggestions from any fellow hatrackers.

/endrant

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to government interference in the workplace!

I hope you stuck some money away ahead of time. Job searches can take a very long time in down economies.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that really blows. [Frown] I'm sorry. Hmm...if you were going to go to grad school anyway, now's a really good time. Can you get in for fall?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome to post future developments in The Official Hatrack Recession Thread.

I sincerely hope you can find something to get you through. Some analysts are already suggesting that early signs indicate the economy is stabilizing, let's hope they are right neh?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

Hey guys,

Quick update. My recruiter just called and told me a company i interviewed with a couple months back is creating a new position and wants to hire me. They are actually located half a mile down the same road as my current company. So if all goes well after talking with the HR woman again today at lunch, I will have a new career.

Cheers,

-krynn

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
! ! Yay!!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! Hope it works out! [Smile]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

Wow, those were insanely fast replies. Thanks so much for your support. It's been a long journey, so I excited about the opportunity.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I hope it works out for you! I am in the job hunt myself, and it's pretty frustrating, so I hope you get settled into a new position quickly.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.