FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kidney surgery on June 10th! Woooo! (update)

   
Author Topic: Kidney surgery on June 10th! Woooo! (update)
Javert
Member
Member # 3076

 - posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's times like this that I'm glad I have good health insurance through my job.

Back in October, I had my wisdom teeth removed.

Back in the beginning of March, I had a tonsillectomy.

And in June, I get to have one more medical procedure.

Two summers ago I suffered a UTI. Which was so much fun, let me tell you. Because I always fall into the trap of "ignore it for a bit and see if it goes away by itself", I suffered for about a day before going to the ER and getting antibiotics. I then went to my primary care physician, and he sent me to a urologist because UTIs are less likely in men and should be investigated.

The positive? My UTI just seems to have been a passing infection. The negative? They gave me a CT scan and found a 1.5 centimeter 'mass' on my right kidney.

Because it was so small, my urologist elected to keep an eye on it with MRIs once about every six months. And in a year since they've been keeping an eye on it, it's grown about a centimeter to be 2.5 centimeters. During this time I have had no other noticeable symptoms.

So now my new urologist (my old urologist sent me to him because he's an expert kidney surgeon) has elected to go in and cut the little blighter out. They feel that there's an 80% chance that it's just an abscess, and a 10 to 20% chance that it's cancer.

Luckily, in the event that it is a cancer the treatment for my little 'mass' is surgical removal. So the worst case scenario seems to be that I'll have had a tiny cancer nipped in the bud.

As with all surgeries, I'm a little nervous going into this one. And it's going to be annoying that I'll have to be out of work for at least a month, if not two. (Thankfully I will be getting paid for most of that.) I'm not looking forward to how I may feel during that month, as I doubt it will be pleasant.

Anyway, I just wanted to bore you all with my medical history. I like keeping you folks informed, because after the surgery I'll either drop off for a while or be on here constantly to fight off the boredom of being on bed-rest.

[ May 11, 2009, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Javert ]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member
Member # 4859

 - posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! Good luck, and heal quick.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member
Member # 3076

 - posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks rivka!
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member
Member # 8376

 - posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just think what removing this 'mass' will lead to Javert! Think of the possibilities! [Big Grin]

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member
Member # 6776

 - posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck and take care of yourself!
Posts: 6245 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member
Member # 6877

 - posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry. I've been watching my 5 year old go through multiple UTIs and bladder and kidney infections, and I weep for her pain, so I definitely have sympathy for yours. Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well.
Posts: 21181 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member
Member # 9189

 - posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear about that Javert. Good luck to you.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member
Member # 3076

 - posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'll be having my surgery on June 10th. I then get to spend 3 to 5 days in the hospital, and then out of work for 2 months on the outside.

Huzzah.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member
Member # 1992

 - posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mooselet had kidney issues (though secondary to the primary urethral valve issue) and needed surgery (for the primary), and his birthday is June 10th. He's doing great now, so consider it a good omen.
Posts: 6211 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member
Member # 2314

 - posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, stock up on good books! I'll be praying for you - try and let us know how things are as quickly as possible, though of course take care of yourself first!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member
Member # 2576

 - posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's to a speedy recovery!
Posts: 3634 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member
Member # 3076

 - posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I have my iPod in the hospital, I'll post an update from my room as soon as I'm able.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member
Member # 8376

 - posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
If I have my iPod in the hospital, I'll post an update from my room as soon as I'm able.

Take pictures!
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member
Member # 4859

 - posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ewwww! No pictures!

Belle's advice is good. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member
Member # 3076

 - posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
If I have my iPod in the hospital, I'll post an update from my room as soon as I'm able.

Take pictures!
Perhaps someone would like me to send them my kidney?

Alas, my iPod has no camera.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member
Member # 7825

 - posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it legal to send body parts through the mail..?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member
Member # 923

 - posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fingers crossed for you!
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member
Member # 6459

 - posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aiua:
Is it legal to send body parts through the mail..?

Not legal, but a basis for an episode of NCIS. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member
Member # 7825

 - posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creepy, but I'm pretty sure that episode is currently playing on USA. The eyes one.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
   

Quick Reply
Message:

HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins
   


Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:


Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.


Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classic™ 6.7.2