FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Really bizarre computer problem

Author Topic: Really bizarre computer problem
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Over the past few weeks I've noticed that the wi-fi in my room wasn't working. Later I found that it actually did work in my room, just not at my computer desk, which was a really bizarre, localized place for my computer to not get wi-fi.

Even weirder was than when I was using the windows side of my computer (I have a dual-booting MacBook Pro) the internet worked fine.

What I finally figured out today is that the internet specifically doesn't work when I have my Cintiq (Wacom tablet that doubles as a computer monitor) connected to my Mac side. So far my internet searches for similar problems have been fruitless. I don't understand why these two things should be remotely connected, or why it would only matter when I'm running the Mac OS.

I'm not sure if the issue is the Cintiq in particular or a second monitor in general. Does anyone have the slightest clue what's going on?

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
My initial thought would be that you need to figure out whether it's a hardware or a software issue. Possibly the hardware is causing some kind of power drain, short, interference, whatever, and that's affecting the wifi. OR, there is a problem with one of the drivers that is causing an issue, either the wifi or the cintiq has some bug in its software. I would try reinstalling drivers for both and see what happens.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Mac. You're screwed.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:

Yeah, if you had a PC you would just go to the command line and pull up the root_init_C_Branch and then recode the D_EEP+ matrix to a HELIX-9 configuration, that is if you were using a DC-10 as your Serial Boot Overdrive Certificate. If not, or if innaplicable, you would go into the console/hell666/firephasers_enix/cont_library and recalcify your indigo_girls directory. Just be sure you don't get an error type 7265_You_Fail_At_Life_Terminal_Stock_Market_Crash_Error

Edit: And that's just if you want to check your email.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Or throw your PC out and buy two more and still spend less than you did on your mac.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Or throw your PC out and buy two more and still spend less than you did on your mac.

And then you can start participating in Blayne's technical disaster threads.

Keep 'em coming folks.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Blayne is not representative of PC users.. or anyone except Blayne, for that matter.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You PC users, always ducking responsibility for your fringe elements.

But I do love how one thing goes wrong with one of two pieces of third party hardware, and the PC people go... HAHA! It's a MAC_TARD! The number of problems I had out of the box with my one, very expensive, PC mistake was enough to convince me never to go back if I could help it.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That's not true, we still talk to you. [Big Grin]

Besides....Mac users ARE our fringe element. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Is Blayne representative of YOU as a heterosexual? Or are you hets ducking responsibility for your fringe elements too?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
The "PCs are cheaper" thing is not nearly as true as it appears at first glance. Macs tend to come with more peripheral stuff and cheaper (i.e. free) tech support. I've seen a few articles that compared what you were actually getting with a $800 PC and a $1500 Mac and they actually end up being close to the same price.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I prefer to think of myself as a Hatrack free-agent, or perhaps mercenary would be the more appropriate term?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Is Blayne representative of YOU as a heterosexual? Or are you hets ducking responsibility for your fringe elements too?

That's not fair, he's a Blaynosexual. If and when he finds someone to marry, I will support his right to do so. I do have solidarity in that.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

There you go, duckin' away...
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah well, you're Hitler.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Hitler was also a het. One of YOU people. I bet if he were alive today he'd be a mac user.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Actually I'm always hearing Hitler was bi... and also Steve Wozniak is Polish, which of course means that Hitler would never have used one of his computers.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

{Citation Needed}
Orincoro
Member # 8854

It may have been Robin Williams in an attempt to make a goosestepping joke, but the Wozniak thing is common knowledge.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Berlin, 1943

Adolf Hitler, in a surprise announcement earlier today, announced that he is bisexual. In answer to questions about his computer preferences, he expressed his disdain for computers invented by Poles, and went on to say: "ze PC iz ze premiere computing macheene for ze master race."

-AP

nik
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for nik           Edit/Delete Post 
^I LOLed
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I always owned PCs until I moved here to Vegas and got a Mac laptop from my job. I can't ever see myself purchasing a PC again. It's true they are more expensive, but I'll gladly pay a little extra.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
PCs are a virus-fest. The only reason I bought a PC the last time was to play 1 particular game, Thief:Deadly Shadows (and also in case some OTHER PC game came out that I couldn't get for Mac). Otherwise, I'd have gotten a Mac. I use a Mac AND a PC at work, and that seems to be the best way to do it. When one is thinking, I work on the other one. When our internet connection is slow, I swear at them both. Also, I swear at the gods.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Yeah, if you had a PC you would just go to the command line and pull up the root_init_C_Branch and then recode the D_EEP+ matrix to a HELIX-9 configuration, that is if you were using a DC-10 as your Serial Boot Overdrive Certificate. If not, or if innaplicable, you would go into the console/hell666/firephasers_enix/cont_library and recalcify your indigo_girls directory. Just be sure you don't get an error type 7265_You_Fail_At_Life_Terminal_Stock_Market_Crash_Error

Edit: And that's just if you want to check your email.

Uhhh...That was...enlightening. Thank you for showing just how much you know about PCs. And how well you pay attention to the fact that *Windows is the one that's working* in this situation. *golf clap*

quote:
PCs are a virus-fest.
I haven't had a virus in 7 years.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Were I Raymond, I'd be rather annoyed to come back and discover than no, there are not 20+ posts of useful information.

There's just one, and 20+ of irrelevant rehash arguments. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

The thought had crossed my mind.... although I've been following the thread with amusement nonetheless. [Razz]

Anyways, I just uninstalled the Wacom software and deleted the preferences and it doesn't seem to have helped (just plugging in the Cintiq without the drivers has the same effect). I'll call the tech support tomorrow and hopefully get some answers.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
[QB]Uhhh...That was...enlightening. Thank you for showing just how much you know about PCs. And how well you pay attention to the fact that *Windows is the one that's working* in this situation. *golf clap*

Tell me, do you get angry when other people laugh and joke, and you don't understand why? Are you always being told by your friends to lighten up? There's hope. Throw away your PC. The radiation is eating your soul.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Mac uses don't HAVE souls, the had to sell them to Apple for proprietary software.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to pull a theory completely out of nowhere, here, just blue-skying the whole thing:

Is it possible that the Cintiq communicates with the Mac not as a second monitor but as a terminal device? If so, it's possible that the Mac is detecting a network connection to the Cintiq and deactivating the wifi in response, which is something that you should be able to adjust in the power settings of the machine.

Otherwise, I'm clueless and agree with you that the issue has to lie somewhere in a driver incompatibility.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
Mac uses don't HAVE souls, the had to sell them to Apple for proprietary software.

OH Snap! But on the other hand, my soulless life is very ergonomic and intuitive.
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I'm going to pull a theory completely out of nowhere, here, just blue-skying the whole thing:

Is it possible that the Cintiq communicates with the Mac not as a second monitor but as a terminal device? If so, it's possible that the Mac is detecting a network connection to the Cintiq and deactivating the wifi in response, which is something that you should be able to adjust in the power settings of the machine.

Otherwise, I'm clueless and agree with you that the issue has to lie somewhere in a driver incompatibility.

The Cintiq has two plugs. One is a monitor plug, the other is a USB plug that lets you actually use it as a mouse. It's the monitor plug that causes problems.

Tried calling today but their website seems to be down and/or overcrowded/slow, so I couldn't find the contact information.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.