FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » DC recognizes same-sex marriage (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DC recognizes same-sex marriage
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ridenigmadle:
So we all love at least most of the works of OSC and most of us are strongly in favor of SSM.

How do you reconcile your belief in equal rights with support for OSC? Unless the accounts I have read are wrong he is rabidly anti-SSM.

I know we can all separate the two but would you still read OSC if he had views that were personally very objectionable to you? (You pick one for yourself, I do not want to create controversy by giving you some potential examples.)

Just a question. Thanks. My first post. I am interested in your views.

Riden

Hey Riden, welcome.

I don't personally reconcile my love of OSC's fiction with his political views. They exist in separate mindspace.

While lately I've been seeing OSC's politics reflected in his fiction, he keeps it pretty low key. The hallmark of his Enderverse novels seems to be empathy for all the characters, perhaps except Achilles. Few are truly evil; most have an internal narrative, to which we have access, that shows them to want to accomplish good things, even when they are deluded about what is good or about the negative side effects. This is honestly what makes OSC a good writer. He's done some good work with world building and plotting and heck, he's good at writing clever banter. But none of that compares to his ability to write sympathetic characters.

But the political essay writing seems to deliberately cast aside any effort to understand or empathize with the opposition. He routinely ascribes hate as a motive where it has not been declared by the actors.

I don't know why he does it. Few believe he's writing as a Demosthenes - I certainly don't. But why would this man so skilled at writing characters treat real life people with far less benefit of the doubt? It's a mystery. Some speculate he's pandering to a wingnut audience in Greensboro...maybe so.

I used to go to lengths to try to defend/rationalize the problems with OSC's political writing but he wore me out. I can't justify it any more.

But I think his fiction is valuable, good, and I don't want him to fade into obscurity as long as he keeps producing more of it. I doubt he impacts political reality to a degree that outweighs the value of his real work. So I am a fan of his fiction and I disapprove of his World Watch politics. Can't reconcile it. Probably won't, unless Card recants his harsh and unfair characterization of many good people. (Even better if he reexamines many of the faulty arguments he launches into the effluether in support of his views.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ridenigmadle
Member # 12057

- posted      Profile for ridenigmadle           Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, It really is just a question.

Samprimary, thanks for a brief insight into the history of some of the past debates. I looked but did not readily see anything on this topic.

This is just a question. Both yours and Rakeesh's answers are the same and maybe that will be enough justification for me in the end.

Having just found out about OSC's views, I am just trying to come to some decision on if I can still support him. I love most of his work (Magic Street and Empire are two glaring exceptions) and I really do not want to give up reading him. I am looking for some rationalization that will allow me to continue to buy his books. (I realize that that sounds inflammatory but is not meant to be.)

Thanks to both of you and anyone else who chooses to respond to my question.

Riden.

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am looking for some rationalization that will allow me to continue to buy his books.
He writes the occasional good book, and you like reading good books?

If you disagree with his politics so much that you feel guilty sending any money his way, why not make a donation equal to the cost of the book to the LGBT organization of your choice? Or do what some of the people on this forum do, and just borrow it from the library?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ridenigmadle:
I am looking for some rationalization that will allow me to continue to buy his books.

This confuses me. Are you suggesting that if you disagree with someone, you should no longer have anything to do with them? Because if so, you're in for a lonely, boring life.

It's ok to disagree with one another. Normal, even.

Why wouldn't you read OSC's fiction if you like it? I can't think of any other criterion that matters.

In fact, I disagree with OSC's political views and not only do I recommend his fiction books to science fiction and fantasy fans, but I also recommend his books on writing and his writing classes to aspiring young writers. He is not only a talented fiction writer, but an amazing teacher/public speaker. Plus, he's a very nice person who cares deeply for people and especially for his own family.

Behind the words is a genuine human being, flawed like any other. You get the whole thing as package, take it or leave it.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Ridenigmadle, I don't think there is anything wrong with enjoying the art of someone with whom you disagree or even someone who is a lousy person. I still enjoy Wagner, for example.

I admit that after reading Mr. Card's essays, I lost my taste for reading his stories. It wasn't any kind of moral decision. I just didn't enjoy them anymore.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read (and own) most of his books and while there is a great deal of entertainment there's also a lot of filler. Though it's worth wading through his lesser efforts to find his moments of brilliance.

Problem is it's hard to keep the fact that he would like to see people like me arrested out of my head...

I really don't know if that's why I don't buy his books anymore or if I just got tired of his writing style.

It *is* tempting to go find ever OSC book in the house, add up the jacket price on all of them and donate that amount to the Human Rights Campaign. That'd be a big donation.

Uh oh... Big Business idea!

Homophobia Offsets! There's millions to be made there!!

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
kmboots- that's how I was, except for me it was some of his pro-ID statements. Even books I used to enjoy of his are tainted. It's like anything that touches slightly on those issues reminds me of crazy stuff he has said.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm better at compartmentalizing. I listen to Wagner, I watch movies with Vanessa Redgrave and Janeane Garafalo and other people I abominate as people. I love the movie Ransom, not to mention the Lethal Weapon movies, even though I probably wouldn't spit on Mel Gibson if I saw him on fire.

Card's views on homosexuality and government meddling in our lives and the rest... well, I won't express fully how I feel about them here, because it'd be churlish, given that he pays for this board. But I don't see why that should keep me from enjoying his fiction. Except maybe things like Empire, which were overly heavy-handed.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
kmboots- that's how I was, except for me it was some of his pro-ID statements. Even books I used to enjoy of his are tainted. It's like anything that touches slightly on those issues reminds me of crazy stuff he has said.

I thought Mr. Card said long ago that ID isn't real science, it's creationism with a scientific disguise.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:

I thought Mr. Card said long ago that ID isn't real science, it's creationism with a scientific disguise.
Here is the article. He actually denies that ID is the same as creationism:
quote:
At the same time, ID is not "Creationism." Creationism was a ludicrous attempt to twist the physical evidence collected by geologists, paleontologists, and biologists, and pretend that it did not contradict the seven-days-of-creation model of Genesis.

Intelligent Design is not trying to prove the Bible. It starts from the premise that the facts on the ground are correct: It took billions of years to get from the creation of our solar system to the present state of life on Earth. The believers in ID do not deny the evidence -- they insist on it.

Unfortunately this is wrong...ID is definitely creationism with a different label. He continues to be wrong:
quote:
However, they also see that the specific hypotheses of Darwinism do not fit the evidence. In short, evolution obviously happened, but Darwinism is not a sufficient explanation of how and why it happened.

So far, I am in complete agreement with them. Darwinism is grossly inadequate to explain very much of what we see; furthermore, most cutting-edge molecular biologists are keenly aware of the enormous burden that any explanation of evolution must bear at the level of the cell.

I'm pretty sure most cutting edge molecular biologists believe in evolution (Darwinism), unless "cutting edge" is defined specifically to exclude Darwinists, which might be the case here for all I know.

His conclusion seems to be that ID is non-scientific and so is Darwinism. He doesn't believe in teaching ID in schools but he doesn't think Darwinism is good science either. (I'm using the term "Darwinism" because he did, not because I think it's a good label. I would say the theory of evolution.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link/quotes scifibum, I'll take a look at em, it appears I was mistaken.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Lisa: Mel Gibson movies, huh? I think ya gotta pay twice for him. Homophobia offsets AND Antisemitism offsets.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
Lisa: Mel Gibson movies, huh? I think ya gotta pay twice for him. Homophobia offsets AND Antisemitism offsets.

Heh. I wasn't even thinking about the homophobia issue. I don't think I've ever heard him express himself on the subject. Not that I have any doubts about what he'd say.

What can I say? I enjoy his manic energy. I never realized it was because he was loopy in real life as well. The last time I read The Stand was after having seen the movie, and all I can say is that casting Jamie Sheridan as Flagg was a big mistake. If you read the descriptions of him in the book, Mel Gibson in his late 20s would have been beyond perfect for the role.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Except maybe things like Empire, which were overly heavy-handed.

But you liked Goodkind's "Naked Empire"? [Wink]
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:

Heh. I wasn't even thinking about the homophobia issue. I don't think I've ever heard him express himself on the subject. Not that I have any doubts about what he'd say.

What can I say? I enjoy his manic energy. I never realized it was because he was loopy in real life as well. The last time I read The Stand was after having seen the movie, and all I can say is that casting Jamie Sheridan as Flagg was a big mistake. If you read the descriptions of him in the book, Mel Gibson in his late 20s would have been beyond perfect for the role.

Yeah, I love his work too. I just wish he wasn't bug-eyed crazy.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.