FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Interesting new direction for House

Author Topic: Interesting new direction for House
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't quite want to spoil it yet but House in the most recent episodes seems to have went in an awesome new storytelling direction that depending on how they run with it could be very awesome.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoil! I want to hear about it. No way would I consider watching the thing, but I want to know what you mean.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Question, are bachelor parties actually like that?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

:SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER:

Basically House seems to have an evil conscience in the form of Amber as a form of hallucination.

ITS AWESOME.

:end spoiler:

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, God. He's got a Head Thirteen.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Amber is not Thirteen, though I suspect you made a Battlestar joke.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Time to make a new entry under Nightmare fuel.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

And I can't help but think, all that surgery will cost tens of thousands of dollars theyre better off dead.
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Spoil! I want to hear about it. No way would I consider watching the thing, but I want to know what you mean.

$
$
$
$
Spoilers for the second last and third last episodes of the season
$
$
$
$

Basically, House starts hallucinating CTB/Amber due to what he thinks is sleep deprivation due to Kutner's death.

Initially, this seems intriguingly and not entirely unwelcome, CTB seems to embody the rational aspect of House and provides a number of good insights into his patient.

Unfortunately, near the end of the episode CTB reveals that she not only embodies the rational aspect of House but the primal aspect of House with his morality stripped away * almost killing Chase.

House tries to get rid of her by using sleeping pills but it turns out that it isn't sleep deprivation.

In the follow-up episode, House finds out that the problem appears to be his vicodin addiction and thus he detoxes with the help of Cuddy ... and afterwards they make sweet sweet love.

* Which is interesting in the context of Hatrack because in a previous thread on House, I believe that it was claimed by others that House was amoral whereas I claimed that he did have a fairly consistent moral system, just not one that coincides with most everyone else's all that much

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I agree with you, but I'm curious if you have specific ideas on what House's moral system IS.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Hmmmm, some longish ideas here in the original thread.
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=051997;p=0&r=nfx#000003

Reading again, I'm not sure "amoral" is quite the descriptor that others were championing, but I'm not sure how else to sum it up.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
My dvr stopped recording new episodes of House and for some reason I didn't notice, but I caught it two episodes ago and have rectified the situation. The long and the short of it is that I got to watch the last episode and wow!

A side note: I always wondered if they would ever use his 'lack of conscience' as a tool to diagnose House in some manner or another.

Do you think he'll stay fixed this time?

Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anyway to watch the most recent episode before it comes out on Hulu?
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That would be kind of boring wouldn't it.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
If he has any morals, it is telling the truth as he sees it anyway. Even when he lies it is more to find out the truth; whether that is to uncover facts or motives. Other than that, I think he is amoral.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not telling the truth that defines House's moral code, its seeking the truth.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I don't think so...if only because they'd then be a person down in the cast.

Cutner went via suicide to the White House, to be promptly replaced by Head Amber. Though actually, Head Amber could be replaced by Cuddy-she hasn't really shown up much at all lately in the show, so she'd be a suitable replacement.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
quote:
That would be kind of boring wouldn't it.
Oh, I don't think so. He's still got the leg thing going for his brokenness. If his vicodin was causing Head Amber then he has to figure out another way to deal with the pain.
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

he did, but it also had the side effect of death, the cocaine-like drug he had a few episodes ago.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he did, but it also had the side effect of death, the cocaine-like drug he had a few episodes ago.
Methadone it was, which is more heroin-like than cocaine-like.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
Methadone it was, which is more heroin-like than cocaine-like.
Oh, yes, I remember that. Maybe I haven't missed out on as much as I thought I had. Perhaps I should have said that he has to figure out a way to deal with the pain in a manner that does not have insane side effects of one sort or another.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Yeah. That sounds like House.
Xavier
Member # 405

I don't know much about his condition, but wouldn't amputation do the trick?

If I had to decide between living in constant agony with two legs (and a cane), or be pain free in a wheelchair or with a prosthetic, the choice would be obvious to me.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

yeah but your not him, its his leg not yours.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Oh, yes, I remember that. Maybe I haven't missed out on as much as I thought I had. Perhaps I should have said that he has to figure out a way to deal with the pain in a manner that does not have insane side effects of one sort or another.
Well, to be fair, House doesn't exactly seek out the insane side effects...except that they allow him to do the one thing he's proven willing to undergo any number of torments for, the diagnostic medicine schtick.

The enjoyment he gets from the pills is, while still substantial to say the least, secondary to that greater enjoyment.

Remember, he was happy to give up the pills...until he realized the alternative was dulling his wits, barring him from his biggest addiction. When his leg was (briefly) pain-free, he was also off the pills. It was only when the crippling pain returned that the pills came with `em.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Medical Factoid catch: Wilson prescribed House something to help him sleep. The brief glimpse showed us:
zolpidem 200 mg po TID for ten days #30

!!! Someone messed up on that one. No pharmacy would fill that. Ambien's dosage range is 5 mg to 20 mg. Three times a day is also absurd. For someone who cares about House's methadone use, it makes no story sense. It's a script error.

BTW I thought everyone's reaction to his methadone use seemed excessive. There are many many people who successfully use methadone both for pain control or for opiate addiction.

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Oh and if you want to see the newest episode before Hulu, it's $3 on iTunes for HD and $2 for standard. I'm going to buy it to watch (waaay cheaper than a TV and cable).
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, for $3 an episode, I think I could wait for Hulu!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by dabbler:
Medical Factoid catch: Wilson prescribed House something to help him sleep. The brief glimpse showed us:
zolpidem 200 mg po TID for ten days #30

!!! Someone messed up on that one. No pharmacy would fill that. Ambien's dosage range is 5 mg to 20 mg. Three times a day is also absurd. For someone who cares about House's methadone use, it makes no story sense. It's a script error.

BTW I thought everyone's reaction to his methadone use seemed excessive. There are many many people who successfully use methadone both for pain control or for opiate addiction.

I wonder if blog there something Dissent caught it.
Mucus
Member # 9735

Re: finale
YES!!!

theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Strange strange finale. I can't decide what I think about it. On the one hand, I was totally sucked into the story and episode and want to know what happened next.

Spoiler alert...
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`
`

On the other hand, I feel like this has been done to death on house. This feels like the third time I think of house hallucinating the events of the season finale. I also felt like it was not as powerful as the Amber storyline of last year. That said, I do wonder if he is going to actually commit to treatment in the next season which could be a very interesting storyline. I will be disappointed if they simply explain it away in fifteen minutes and then things go back to normal.

I am also curious to see how the newlyweds will be worked into next season. According to the show creators, they will have a more prominent role next season.

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I think part of why this is important is that House shouldnt be able tp practice medicin if hes going for help.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
But he should be able to as long as he denies that he needs help.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

except your a fool.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

That's right. My a fool.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

the story is about House's character development into finally recognizing that there IS a problem that he needs to face.
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler alert and pondering about next season.
Will House still be in the psychiatric hospital at the beginning of next season? Will we see his struggle to overcome the addiction?

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

if you checked the wikipedia article it says they did filming at the place.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
the story is about House's character development into finally recognizing that there IS a problem that he needs to face.

And according to you he should only be prevented from practicing medicine if and when he finally does face it.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't know much about his condition, but wouldn't amputation do the trick?

Often phantom limb pain is worse and harder to treat than with a limb still there. Over 90% of people with a missing limb still get pain from it (or rather, where it used to be, as if it were still there).

It's being scuttled about that nerves getting at least some feedback from other nerve cells further down the line is as important as not getting bad feedback (i.e., pain receptor signals). Without any signals, the more central nerve cells sometimes seem to go all wonky anyway, and in ways that can't be fixed.

However, there is hugely exciting work being done on reprogramming the brain centrally by using mirrors to deal with phantom limb pain. This is potentially great stuff! Read all about it in a letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine: Mirror Therapy for Phantom Limb Pain.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Half a guy I once knew said that he felt a lot better when he was walking around. His phantom limb pain was incredibly intense because they tried for over a month to save his leg as the infection got worse and worse and the pain became more and more blinding.

However, walking around rubbed his stump in such a way that his mind was reminded "Hey, it doesn't hurt, it's not there anymore."

Don't ride motorcycles.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
So... did the guy with the alien hand actually exist, or was he also a figment? How about Schwartz?

When they started driving, my first thought was that he was going for voluntary commitment. My second thought was, no, maybe it's rehab. And then I saw the sign over the door. That's harsh.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
Often phantom limb pain is worse and harder to treat than with a limb still there. Over 90% of people with a missing limb still get pain from it (or rather, where it used to be, as if it were still there).
Wow, that's crazy. The human body is a strange thing indeed.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Wow, that's crazy. The human body is a strange thing indeed.
I know! I never would have guessed it, either.

Sometimes the world is just too bizarre and fascinating for the imagination to keep up with, eh?

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

My assumption was that he went to the psych hospital for detox and not for r/o schizophrenia. Wilson had suggested someplace where he knew the director. It's going to be nicer than a detox hospital in some respects.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Couldn't both be treated at a psychiatric hospital? If both were interrelated somehow, that is. I mean, it doesn't seem likely that the delusions could be explained away by the drugs. As House observed, he's been on drugs for years and years and years, at least at the same level-I'm obviously not an expert, but that would seem to be evidence against the notion that it's all pharmaceutical.
dabbler
Member # 6443

Seems like a bad direction to go for storyline. The example of Wilson's brother is pretty consistent with schizophrenia - a significant lifelong illness with devastating consequences. To show House becoming paranoid, confused/disorganized, or catatonic (for example) just doesn't allow for a continuation of solving medical problems. Schizophrenia doesn't have a cure per say. Lets say they chose to diagnose him with schizophrenia and treat him successfully. Then the writers are stuck with letting the schizophrenia take a backseat for the rest of the show or pay homage to it by having him "relapse" once in a while neither of which seem captivating.
dabbler
Member # 6443

Actually, major depression with psychosis fits a lot better than schizophrenia and would be easier to address. Anyway, the symptom of hallucination has a much more extensive differential than the show implies.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

It's certainly no stretch at all to imagine House depressed.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.