FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How can I get IE to stop complaining about JS?

Author Topic: How can I get IE to stop complaining about JS?
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have a rather simple script but in IE it keeps stopping it with the little prompt up top "To help protect your
security, IE has restricted this webpage from running scripts or
ActiveX controls that could acess your computer."

This is annoying as each time I would say close or reopen the window it will reprompt. This is driving my professsor insane and he says that sites he goes on this never happens to him so hes convinced its my code, I think he just has wierd settings but I can't convince him otherwise and the instruction to turn off the bar don't work.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.0.10&os=win&lang=en-US

word.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Unless of course my professor doesn't use Mozilla, and insists my site be compatible on both, oh what a shocker.
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

Yes, that is actually pretty shocking. Does he also insist your site be compatible with Arachne as well?

IE is an outdated, severely buggy, terrible browser. If your professor insists you use it and nothing else, maybe it's time to enroll in a different class? (At my college, all the computers use Firefox as their default browser)

Either that, or go over your code and eliminate anything that IE can't handle.

Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dogbreath:
Yes, that is actually pretty shocking. Does he also insist your site be compatible with Arachne as well?

IE is an outdated, severely buggy, terrible browser. If your professor insists you use it and nothing else, maybe it's time to enroll in a different class? (At my college, all the computers use Firefox as their default browser)

Either that, or go over your code and eliminate anything that IE can't handle.

Just 'cause IE sucks doesn't mean people don't use it. It's wise of a professor to make sure that the students write code that operates on all major browsers.

As to Blayne's specific concern, I'm not positive if this holds the answer, but it might. It looks like you might be able to solve it by having the Java Script as an external file or changing the html tags from embed and applet to object, but I haven't really read the article. [Smile]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Just tell him to add your page to his Trusted Sites list in IE. If he's on campus, it's possible that a campus-wide Group Policy might prevent this, but it's worth a shot.

And while the new version of IE is neither outdated nor seriously terrible, that has no impact on what I'm about to say: Dogbreath, failing to code for IE when designing a webpage is, quite frankly, a sign of a terribly immature web designer.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

quote:
Originally posted by Vadon:
Just 'cause IE sucks doesn't mean people don't use it. It's wise of a professor to make sure that the students write code that operates on all major browsers.
[/QB]

Hmm, maybe I'm letting my biases show, but... if IE designers make arbitrary and nonsensical changes to what content it can and can't process, and releases new versions that are less compatible than older ones, it serves IE users right that certain pages won't work. Web designers shouldn't have to cripple their projects to serve the needs of a moronic browser.

That being said, if Blayne's professor insists on him writing websites for IE, he needs to change his code to work with IE, not expect IE to miraculously be able to run it. Because it won't. It's like buying size 32 pants for a 500 lb obese man, and then complaining to Hatrack that he won't put them on.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
maybe I'm letting my biases show, but...
Yes. Yes, you are.
And if you think IE8 is less compatible than, say, IE6, you haven't been listening.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manji
Member # 11600

- posted      Profile for manji           Edit/Delete Post 
Really, the only way to answer the thread's query is to write good code. If you can't do that, steal it off of someone from the internet. This is where Google comes in handy.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne, ignore the IE bashers. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Security. If you're having problems with the scripting on the computer you're working on, or the same network, click on Intranet and then Custom Settings.

There's a whole slew of stuff in there that you can change. I recommend setting most of it to Prompt where possible, and not to Enable.

Incidentally, there's a setting that says "Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe for scripting". Believe it or not, Word and Excel aren't marked as safe for scripting. So if you're ever needing to automate one of those from a webpage, you'll need to set that to Prompt or Enable (I use Prompt).

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
maybe I'm letting my biases show, but...
Yes. Yes, you are.
And if you think IE8 is less compatible than, say, IE6, you haven't been listening.

I recommend setting your pages to run in IE7 (or IE6) mode. Or even putting that in the headers in IIS. Because IE8 is going to be a disaster. Their "compatibility" stuff is going to kill a ton of websites out there by getting rid of things like expressions in styles.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I've seen that prompt in IE for javascript is when I've opened a web page from a local drive instead of via http. The local zone can have more restrictive security settings than the Internet zone.

If you can test hosting it on a web server instead of using the local zone it might help.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

It's true. That comics page I showed you before? When I run it from my hard drive, I get the Yellow Bar of Annoyance at the top. But when I run it from my website, no YBA.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Interesting. That could very well be the case, that or the JS being encoded in the html file and not being a separate JS file either sounds like good solutions.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Again, if he just adds your page to his Trusted Sites, he won't see the warning.
scifibum
Member # 7625

Tom,

I realize file location might not be applicable to this situation, although Blayne's responses suggest it might be, but can you add an individual local file to the trusted sites? It doesn't look like doing so is possible from what I see on Google.

I can't check easily because my company uses group policy to prevent us from adding trusted sites.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
can you add an individual local file to the trusted sites?
He's almost certainly to be viewing it on his local webserver instance (and if he's not, I doubt his competence). All he has to do is add the IP to Trusted Sites, leaving localhost to local, then hit it from the IP or the DNS alias.
scifibum
Member # 7625

Don't you already doubt his competence since he has a vague suspicion that something, but he doesn't know what, about the javascript is the problem? [Wink]
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I open the site by 2 clicking it from the hard drive, today I just tested it by uploading it to my linux server into my public_html folder and no orange bar!
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*facepalm*
Someday I'm going to stop overestimating you and your teachers.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Your professor seriously didn't understand that running JS locally in IE produces the ActiveX warning?

What school is this, again?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
I open the site by 2 clicking it from the hard drive, today I just tested it by uploading it to my linux server into my public_html folder and no orange bar!

you are your own episode of The Office

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

John Abbott College, we're also the only English speaking college in Quebec.

Well to be fair my teacher isn't a web developer, hes my STAGE supervisor who generally teaches Algorithms and Linux scripting, web programming is another teachers thing.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.