FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My 9 year old self is geekified again--with V

Author Topic: My 9 year old self is geekified again--with V
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I use to love "V." Mousy....mousy mousy.

I would love this to be successful.

Maybe they will redo Alien Nation next--a better show in my 9-12 year old opinion of yesteryear..

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

Here is the full trailer.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
This could be cool, or terrible. Like Star trek.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to LOVE Alien Nation.

V, i don't remember so well. But remember thinking it was cool.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Morena Baccarin. Elizabeth Mitchell. I don't even care if it's good or not.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Tudyk and that guy from the 4400 for those that are curious as well.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I had never seen V until one of my college roommates subjected me to it. Wow, it was awful. The remake looks intriguing, though.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

quote:
until one of my college roommates
That is your problem. V, like Knight Rider and Airwolf, is best appreciated before your age hits double digits.

That being said...weeee...I am so excited!! I had no idea that was Inara. Now I am doubly excited. I just hope it doesn't turn out like the Knight Rider remake. [Angst]

Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Morena Baccarin. Elizabeth Mitchell. I don't even care if it's good or not.

QFT
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
The cast looks fantastic.

The plot looks like Independence Day mixed with the Aschen from Stargate SG-1. They come to earth with supposedly good intentions and give us a ton of technology with the purpose of eventually wiping us out? The only difference is that they seemed to figure it out a lot faster in in this one. I'm guessing the plot is a lot older than Stargate's episode, but it looks really close to me.

However, that doesn't bother me even the slightest bit, since every time I saw that episode I thought "Huh, I wonder what it would look like if some of them fought back." Now I get to see it, and with a pretty sweet looking cast. I just hope Alan Tudyk ends up being a regular, despite the fact that he's only listed as being on the pilot episode. I swear, if they kill him off in the first episode, I'll crush something. I'll be sure to check this one out.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking good so far!

Edit to add: Holy crap!

And dammit! They killed Alan Tudyk!

[ November 03, 2009, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe...
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
In the original there was all this hype that it was a well balanced analogy of how people succumb to evil governments like the Nazis or the Soviets--how normal people would welcome and embrace cruelty, ostracism of others, brutality and even genocide, and how a few people discover the courage to rebel.

Instead it became a Lizards in Disguise average invasion story where the (SPOILERS) balloon flying heroes save the day and the alien with a conscience (Played by the actor who did Freddy Krueger) is whimpy but eventually happy with his conversion.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The plot looks like Independence Day mixed with the Aschen from Stargate SG-1. They come to earth with supposedly good intentions and give us a ton of technology with the purpose of eventually wiping us out?

Earth: Final Conflict might be another choice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth:_Final_Conflict

However, that was pretty uneven with only the first season gaining relatively uncontroversial praise.

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke is another
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood%27s_End

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say that Earth: Final Conflict's first 4 seasons were all pretty good but the 5th season is a mess! When something really sucks my brother and I refer to it as being "E:FC season 5 bad", but few things suck enough to achieve that distinction.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

I think it was a bit of a mixed bag myself. The storylines were pretty, ugh. However, I did like the art direction and the depiction of advanced technology and some cultural elements integrating themselves with our society. The music was great too, I once went to a concert given by the guy who played erhu for the show. The budget constraints clearly showed though, although there was amusement in the fact that I recognized so many locations from in and around Toronto.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Looking good so far!

I was hoping against hope that he'd be a good guy. My instincts reminded me, however, that blonde white men over the age of 35 are always, always alien sleeper agents.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The cast looks fantastic.

The plot looks like Independence Day mixed with the Aschen from Stargate SG-1.

We shouldn't forget the Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man" either. [Wink]
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
quote:
Looking good so far!

I was hoping against hope that he'd be a good guy. My instincts reminded me, however, that blonde white men over the age of 35 are always, always alien sleeper agents.
Dan Vassar - Journeyman
Sam Tyler - Life on Mars

So let's make that always alien sleeper agents or involuntary time travelers

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought so, too.

But I watched the upcoming scenes at the end of the show and Tudyk showed up in one of them. So he's (cough) not dead yet. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
he isn't dead!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.