FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why Does my Computer KEEP NOT HAVING SOUND?!

Author Topic: Why Does my Computer KEEP NOT HAVING SOUND?!
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I had fixed this problem but it still doesn't work! What the heck is going on?

Plus I get this Nvidia WDM video capture error too.

It's making me mad! [Mad]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It does have sound, but you are misinterpreting the sensory input as the visuals for the WDM video capture error.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*growl*
It's just that the sound adjust thing vanishes totally too. It's very annoying.
I can't watch TAA or AVGN without sound.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you've gone deaf. But at least your computer still works. [Monkeys]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
lol
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I fixed it.
Again
For now.

I think I'll need a new soundcard if I could STOP BUYING MOTHS.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
moths?
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
It does have sound, but you are misinterpreting the sensory input as the visuals for the WDM video capture error.

So s/he's suffering from synesthesia?
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thank you, Captain Obvious. I'd like to think that my jokes don't need quite that level of explanation.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
moths?

Moth cocoons. I'm obsessed with giant silkmoths.

I just had a bunch of swallowtails in the house too.

One is still here, but I do not know where she is!

Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Not everyone thinks about the actual meaning of Synesthesia on a frequent enough basis to get the joke. I for one appreciated the clarification and think your joke is far more funny now.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
quote:

Dude, no one usually suffers from that. It's awesome.

Except how pink and orange makes me nauseated.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, nothing wrong with your hardware. Just keep rebooting each time ya lose sound. Or switch to a Linux-based OperatingSystem.

Microsoft ended free mainstream support for XP in April, and their last few updates "accidentally" introduced a buncha new bugs. And except for security-related hot-fixes, they intend to leave it buggy as extortion to force businessses to pay a monthly fee for their Extended Support program.
Basicly, the Wintel cartel is punishing you cuz you haven't caved in to their demand to buy Microsoft's Vista along with a new "Intel inside" computer with sufficient speed&capacity to play that humongous&cludgy-beyond-all-credible-belief Vista.
And their "new" Windows7 is just Vista rebranded after Microsoft managed to make working in Vista such an ugly experience that most businesses refuse to buy into it.

[ May 23, 2009, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Bitter much, aspectre? [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? My laptop has had the exact same problems (since a few weeks ago), it'll plug into A/V hookups on the TV or speakers no problem, but the laptop itself won't play sound, except for the occasional windows startup (so I KNOW the speakers work!). I've rebooted, restarted, and gone through every Windows tutorial, and If it's really something deliberately given to me by Microsoft, I'm saving up for a mac. Microsoft will never ever see a nickel from me again.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Monahan:
quote:

Dude, no one usually suffers from that. It's awesome.\\
I suffer from it every time I read this board.

OH SNAP!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I guarantee you it's not something deliberately given to you by Microsoft. *rolls eyes at aspectre*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

You're right. They contract that work out to one Tom Davidson. :narroweyes:
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
SM, I update my audio drivers when that happens.
Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I might have just nailed it down, since I was able to control when it gives me sound: In this case, when I put the lid almost all the way down (where the monitor is still on, but I cannot actually do anything on the keyboard/pad). Maybe it's a wiring thing, I heard of problems with my model of Dell laptop because the speakers are built into the screen unit, so you have to be careful not to put the lid all the way back or else it'll cut one or more of the speakers off. I've tried to be careful about this over the past four years I've had it, but the thing is, the sound still pipes in fine through both speakers when it decides to work, so it doesn't seem permanently busted on the hardware level. Maybe the wires have just shifted?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if sound on your computer comes through a dedicated sound card, or through integrated sound on the motherboard?
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

An integrated one I think.

I wonder if I need a new one...

ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Nope, nothing wrong with your hardware. Just keep rebooting each time ya lose sound. Or switch to a Linux-based OperatingSystem.

Microsoft ended free mainstream support for XP in April, and their last few updates "accidentally" introduced a buncha new bugs. And except for security-related hot-fixes, they intend to leave it buggy as extortion to force businessses to pay a monthly fee for their Extended Support program.
Basicly, the Wintel cartel is punishing you cuz you haven't caved in to their demand to buy Microsoft's Vista along with a new "Intel inside" computer with sufficient speed&capacity to play that humongous&cludgy-beyond-all-credible-belief Vista.
And their "new" Windows7 is just Vista rebranded after Microsoft managed to make working in Vista such an ugly experience that most businesses refuse to buy into it.

I don't know about other distributions, but sound is one of the biggest rough spots I've noticed with Ubuntu. Wireless has been working great for several years, gaming is pretty decent now that wine's a bit more advanced and video card manufacturers have gotten onto the Linux bandwagon, but sound is still a bit fickle when it comes to working.

That said, there's been a lot of development and improvement over the past couple versions, so hopefully it will all be worked out within the next year or so.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
My sound was iffy for a while, then I noticed that the plug of my speakers sometimes comes out just by a small bit. When I push it all the way in, voila, sound!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the good news is that sound cards can be had extremely cheap. If your sound is on board, and going out, that might be a way to go- there are even USB-based sound devices these days that aren't terribly expensive and produce decent sound.

You might try blowing out the computer with compressed air, and checking to see if any connections are loose- onboard sound on my computer comes through a teeny little wire-and-pin connection that could easily get knocked loose.

The vanishing of the sound/volume icon, if I'm understanding you correctly, is a weird one, though. It sounds as though it's ceasing to register the presence of a sound device. Next time it happens, you might try looking at device status (control panel -> system -> device manager) and see if it still registers the presence of your sound device and claims it's working correctly.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.