FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Audiobooks - The Difference a Reader Makes

Author Topic: Audiobooks - The Difference a Reader Makes
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, I've been listening to the Merry Gentry series on audio. Most of the books are read by Laural Merlington, who apparently does a fair amount of voiceover work and acts. Regardless of your opinion of Laurell K Hamilton's recent writing (though I have recently enjoyed the Merry Gentry series much more than the recent Anita Blake, I haven't been able to muster even the desire to read the most recent two Anita novels) the first books were fine, they weren't spectacular, but not awful either. However, as the series went on the readings got progressively worse. Merlington apparently decided that all men growled and her pronunciations of certain names was questionable which was annoying. Then I bought Swallowing Darkness, the most recent of the books. It was read by Claudia Black. It was also about 1000 times better than any of the other books in the series. I can only hope that upcoming books continue to be narrated by Claudia Black, or at least someone who can give an equally good performance.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
This exact topic has been discussed multiple times. I mean, I'd love to tell you my favorites as well, but I've already posted them.

The search button is your friend.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, are you having a bad day?
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

No, I'm just pointing out that I've seen this exact topic at least, what, 4 times in the past year? I've participated every time- now including this one I guess.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
The narrator for the Percy Jackson books is TERRIBLE. It's the only audio book set that I've considered discontinuing because of a bad narrator.

On the other hand, His Dark Materials is fantastic. And Neil Gaiman does a fairly good job of reading his own books (Graveyard Book).

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
andi:

The reader makes a huge difference.

A good reader can add dimensions to the work that can surprise even the author.

For example, myself.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Scott you write and have stuff published? Really?

You would never know that from reading this forum. [Razz]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I know! I keep these things on the DL.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yeah, you're a regular Emily Dickinson.
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
This exact topic has been discussed multiple times. I mean, I'd love to tell you my favorites as well, but I've already posted them.

The search button is your friend.

I actually did use the search function, but it brought up a ton of different threads and after looking at several, none appeared to be what I was looking for, so I gave up. I find that the search function on this board is not always very useful. The kindle thread that I added to was found using the search function though, so I can sometimes find what I'm looking for.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Try searching topics only.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure I've seen this topic before.

andi, with regard to that particular issue, do you think it helps when the recording includes an entire cast of actors, rather than a single person?

I've been wondering about that for some time. I think I prefer a single reader: Whoever read Columbine had the exact tone and cadence I wanted.

I found the Redwall audiobook on the local library website, and it had an entire cast of British voice actors. Their accents affected my ability to understand the text more than I thought it would, and sometimes the transitions between different actors were awkward, but I assume the voices would have remained consistent between the books.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I actually think that's a whole other ball of wax. In fact the only audiobook series that I enjoy that uses multiple actors is the Ender series, and that's because they change in sections.

Now, dramatic audio, like a radio show with all the sound effects, that I can enjoy if the actors do it well, but it's not the same as a cast of actors just reading the book. Not so much a fan of that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.