FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who Season 5 - Spoilers, Speculation, Supposition etc.

Author Topic: Doctor Who Season 5 - Spoilers, Speculation, Supposition etc.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only a year away, people!

They've announced the new companion. Nothing about her character yet, but she's Scottish.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
I want her hair.
Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
She looks a bit young, for any romantic interludes with the Doc.

On a side note, The 10 Doctor Web Comic wrapped up. I found it one of the best fan-fic's I've seen, and better than some Dr. Who books I've read.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, anyone younger than about eight hundred fifty is a bit young for a romantic interlude with the Doc.

As far as appearances, though, she's not much younger than Billie Piper, who was 22 when she started traveling with the Doc - and that was Christopher Eccleston. Matt Smith looks MUCH younger and closer to this girl's age.

And I love how Steven Moffatt described her: "funny, and clever, and gorgeous, and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it". I couldn't agree more. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Parts of it are interesting. Parts of it are extremely exhaustive answers to questions no one really asked.

Right up to the end, it looks like. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
She looks a little like Richard Castle's daughter in that picture.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I still want the Doctor to have a male companion.
Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
he had 2 in the new series, a kid who was greedy and unworthy and Jack Harkness whose purpose could be described as omnifanservice.

I would like to see a Male Companion who was neither a love interest or fan service. Someone to contrast with the Doctor in personality.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Mickey was greedy and unworthy? I thought he was just an idiot. Isn't that what the Doctor called him?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Also, Mickey wasn't one of the Doctor's companions really. He was more like Rose's companion.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I don't think he's referring to Mickey, Lisa.

He's referring Adam Mitchell, who was very briefly a companion of the Ninth Doctor, before he was caught trying to steal information and technology from the future. In the end, all he kept was a forehead certain to freak anyone out.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

ah my mistake, three companions. But I didn't like Mikey very much, too actionkid not enough nerd.
kwsni
Member # 1831

Blayne, I have seen the show. I mean a male companion without having a female one at the same time. Adam, Mickey and Jack all came because of Rose first. Jack was definitely the closest to being a real Companion, though. The show doesn't have to be ALL about sexual tension. I think a couple of guys knocking around the universe getting into trouble would be lots of fun.
Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

Indeed, we need a BadAss bookworm, preferably of the Ciaphas Cain variety.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

quote:
a couple of guys knocking around the universe getting into trouble would be lots of fun.
This is top of my wishlist too. I'm a sucker for that guy-buddy dynamic.

It'll probably never happen though.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Two dudes zapping through the time stream, looking for adventure...

Been there, done that, but the Tardis turned into a California phone booth.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
If they do the whole River Song story, I'm hoping that'll mean that they won't have any sexual tension stuff between the Doctor and his companions, and that could mean letting the Doctor have a male companion sometime...
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
But guys always have guy buddies in the movies -- superhero side-kicks, brainy supporting actors, etc. I think what sets the Doctor apart is that he doesn't have the quintessential Holmes/Watson Batman/Robin Protagonist/Buddy relationship...his hang-up, and thusly what he attracts, is the females. [Smile]

Of course, as I complained in another thread, the Every Woman Loves the Doctor and the Doctor Loves Every Woman is wearing a bit thin. [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought it was more that the Doctor just likes people (this incarnation does anyway), and the girls are the ones throwing themselves at his head. Have to say, I'd be too, can't resist a bloke in a suit and Converses.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Matt Smith.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

DFTD.
Fyfe
Member # 937

Dobbie - he's the new kid they've cast as the Eleventh Doctor. I am strongly against this myself as he looks about twelve years old and has pretentious hands and I wanted Paterson Joseph to do it. But we'll see how it goes.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
Who's Matt Smith.

Note the lack of a question mark.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Every time now they cast a twenty-something in anything these days, someone says "They look only 12 years old!"

Twenty-somethings look like twenty-somethings. At the very least, find a new dis, people. [Smile]

Fyfe
Member # 937

Yep, it's casual shorthand for why is that kid so young? Or, in this case, for why is that kid being the Doctor instead of Paterson Joseph that I wanted?
kwsni
Member # 1831

Maybe because Paterson Joseph (are we sure that's not backwards?) has already been in this incarnation of Doctor Who, and not as a particularly minor character. Maybe the producers didn't want to confuse people. The few actors they've reused have been kind of forgettable the first time.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

I would've been happy with Patrick Stewart but that would break the cycle of having progressively younger Doctor's.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Patrick Stewart is to thoroughly established as Picard in the SF community (and in general, really, he's just a bit too big of a name for the part).

[Edited to say that while I respect that you feel that way, I disagree. I think that Patrick Stewart would be a bad fit for the role. I'd have liked to have seen it go to Patterson Joseph, but I don't know enough about Matt Smith to have an opinion about him one way or the other. I'm hoping that he's as wonderful in the role as is being claimed.]

[ June 01, 2009, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Is that something they've said they're going for? A steady progression from older to younger?
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I hope not, or the next-next Doctor really will be twelve, in every sense.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! If they keep the tone the exact same its going now with the swing from light to dark and edgy I'll be happy. <-- is anime fan
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Moffat is on the record that he thinks the ideal Doctor is a 40-something Quirky Uncle type, who kids can take one look at and know he's secretly one of them.

That said, he says Matt is the guy they want for 11. I suppose we'll see. [Smile]

Heck, Peter Davison (5) held the record for youngest Doctor until Matt was cast, not Eccleston or Tennant.

Dobbie
Member # 3881

quote:
quote:
Who's Matt Smith.

Note the lack of a question mark.
Get it?
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you did there.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Spoiler bonanza!
First look at the new Doctor in costume.
The new companion's name is Amy and hopefully that is not her costume.
Don't they look cute?
I like the grandad-chic thing Smith's got going on there, with the elbow patches and the tie. It looks weirdly natural on him.

Also... a potentially huge spoiler for the first episodes. Of all the people to bring back, I would have expected this one. But not quite so soon.
I don't know what to make of that.

Fyfe
Member # 937

Okay, I tentatively like the costume - I am still not sure about Matt Smith. I will just miss David Tennant so much...
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Oh, I know. I'm going to miss Tennant so much.
I'm really nervous about whether the whole ethos of the show might change with the new team, too.

Having seen a couple of other pics - The companion seems to be wearing this same outfit in a variety of colourways, poor girl.
Would be interesting if she has as much of a recognisable costume as he does. Tights and socks? Seriously?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.