FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Awesome new(ly published) photo of the Tiananmen Square "tank man"

Author Topic: Awesome new(ly published) photo of the Tiananmen Square "tank man"
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Look through the two trees, and note the oncoming tanks on the right.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that. I showed it to my 15-year-old (who learned about Tiananmen Square in her history class earlier this year).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I remember Tiananmen Square, going to a protest at the Chinese embassy in L.A. was one of the defining moments of my childhood (along with watching the Berlin Wall come down on TV, and going to a party where we celebrated, among others.) One of the things that really crystallized my relationship with the rest of the world, in my mind.

That picture puts a whole new spin on the images. Thank you.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Your average college-age chinese dude doesn't know about tank man :<
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Samp: I ranted about that in my Tiananmen Square memorial thread, but clearly the tanks scared posters away.

Awesome photo though. The biker riding along seemingly careless of the tanks is something that is vintage Chinese, I can't really explain it you just have to go there and see it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I don't know how much of that is actually true.

Certainly the Western media seems convinced that Tiananmen Square is forgotten by Chinese people but my personal anecdotal experiences with mainland expats seem otherwise. They all seem to have learned about it from sources that even I wouldn't necessarily trust like VOA before coming over. Since it is not an easy to task to simply go into China and take a poll (and even if you did, one would hope that you wouldn't trust the results*), I must remain a skeptic in regards to this idea.

In fact, I think that the drastic loss of trust in foreign sources like the VOA, CNN, or the BBC after the Tibet riots of last year is one of the most interesting unintended results of that incident given the trust that I've personally witnessed being given to these sources in prior years on sole account of them being foreign.

* I'm reminded of this post.
quote:
In this film four hapless Bei Da (Peking University) students are handed a copy of the image and asked what it says to them. You can see this painful and embarrassing sequence here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/tankman/view/

It's part six, whose text summary says, 'Beida University students don't recognize the photo of the tank man...'

Unfortunately for this thesis, one of the students whispers, ''89', to which another replies, 'Haoxiang shi!' ('It seems like it') while the commentary over the top nevertheless disingenuously states that she's baffled.

Out loud the students demur: 'I really don't know; I'm just guessing,' and ask whether the photo is a piece of artwork especially put together for the interviewer's 'experiment'.

It's not just that the English commentary lies about the content of the conversation, but that the whole situation is journalistically bankrupt. Of course the four students were carefully picked by the film-maker's minders, although we're led to suppose that the crew just wandered onto the campus (of Bei Da!) and sat down a few random students in front of the camera for a chat. Nothing is said about the fact that the minder is sitting somewhere behind the camera (a point later admitted by the film-maker in an interview for a different programme, apparently without the slightest embarrassment), and what Bei Da student is going to risk piping up enthusiastically with, 'Yes, yes, I know!' in front of a vast potential foreign television audience and at the cost of failing to graduate or being kicked out altogether. Their expressed bewilderment is almost pantomimic, except that it clearly seems to say, 'How could you put us on the spot like this?'

http://peternh.blogspot.com/2007_08_01_archive.html
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.