FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I should not read an unfinished series

Author Topic: Why I should not read an unfinished series
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Otherwise titled when is the next Dresden Files book again?

Yeah, I know. It's less than three months after the most recent book, but I'm ready for the next.

Not only that, but silly me - I went over to Jim Butcher's website tonight thinking I'd read some of the posts. I lurk over there, I don't post but I headed into the spoiler thread thinking I was safe. I mean, I've read all the books right? There's not even a release date estimate up on the sight yet and there will have to be a book in the Alera series (which I haven't read yet) before the next Dresden book right?

So I wander into the spoiler thread thinking there will be some insight on some of what happened in this book and click a thread which is apparently about the next book in the series. Apparently Butcher told a recent audience of people that he's written only one line of the next book.

Then he told them what it was.

So, I want the book to be out yesterday because AHHHHHH!

And no, for all you Dresden fans that may be on this board, I won't tell you the line. If you really want to know what it is you can toddle over to the spoiler thread on his forum yourself.

Just consider yourselves forewarned.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I love these books. I also read his Furies series. Not quite as nail biting, IMO, but still good. Codex Alera, that's what they're called.

The big one I'm waiting for is Wise Man's Fear, the sequel to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Amazing book, if you haven't read it, you should.

[ June 09, 2009, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Raventhief ]

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I know Butcher has a Spider-Man novel out now. Which makes sense. Harry Dresden and Peter Parker could exchange quips with each other for days.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The solution is obvious -- start reading the Codex Alera books [Big Grin]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Raven...the Name of the Wind is outstanding, one of the best books I have read in a while.

I like all of Butcher's book, and I am in the same boat. I usually finish them the day they come out.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It could be worse. You could have started the Chtorr books...
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be forever reeling that Octavia Butler never got to finish the 'Parable of the Sower' and 'Parable of the Talents' trilogy.

That still makes me sad. [Frown]

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
White Whale, well you know something bad is going to happen. The world is going to be worse-off than we ever thought it could be, but the people in it will somehow find a way to survive in the new reality, and begin to form family groups, and a society.

That's how it always happens in her books. The details of exactly how, I wish I could help you with. She was a great writer and I miss her terribly.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a strange sort of alternate history. In my mind it would have been a fantastic book, and now it's lost forever into oblivion.

It reminds me of Nixon's other speech, had the moon landing gone wrong and the men not able to return to earth. I think it's quite a moving speech, and another that is part of an alternative history. "Fate has ordained that the men who went to the Moon to explore in peace will stay on the Moon to rest in peace"

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey you also have the Dresden Files RPGto look forward to. It should be out, sometime soon, so they say.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Yeah, but I'll have to find a gaming group to play. I've never been involved in that area much. Sounds interesting though.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I love The Dresden Files -- haven't actually read Butcher's other series. The end of Turn Coat had me longing for more already. At least he's good about getting these out every year. I'll be sure not to read the spoiler thread.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

There is a short story due out in one of those collections later this year. The collection will be called Strange Brew and I believe is listed for sale under P.N. Elrod as the author, though of course it's one of those with multiple contributers.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.