FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Neat Indie Game Thread

Author Topic: The Neat Indie Game Thread
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I've been realizing that, for someone who likes designing games, I really haven't played too many. For good reason - they can take up a lot of time if you're not careful. But I figure I should be expanding my horizons and over the past few days I've been trying out several demos and short independent games, following a link trail across the interwebs to games that are neat.

This seems like the sort of thing that could warrant an official thread. So here's a couple games I played over the past week that I thought were nifty and worth sharing. If people are interested I'll keep updating and if you think you've found a hidden gem, let me know.

This morning I played Today I Die. Once you figure out what the heck you're supposed to be doing, finishing the game takes about 3 minutes. If I hadn't heard from three different people that it was a really good game I would have gotten fed up and quit, but I finally figured out what you're suppose to do. It's a pretty clever idea that I think genuinely counts as "Art™." (After poking around for a while, if you're still lost, try experimenting with the jellyfish more). Unfortunately the designer was mored worried about being clever than accessible and fun, but I think the concept has potential.

Another good one (and much more "traditionally fun" as opposed to artsy for the sake of artsy) is Paper Moon, a game with "Pop Up Book" style art direction and mechanics. Supposedly it's actually stereoscopic (or at least is available somewhere in stereoscopic) but I don't have 3d glasses so I don't know for sure. The game is a 2d platformer, wherein you try to get as far as you can on a 5 minute timer.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it is remotely independent enough (probably not), but I am having fun messing around with the Freedom Force package on Steam for roughly $8.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1662/

There was also a tower defence game that was on half price a few weeks ago, but not so much now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/18500/

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Freedom Force was a fantastic game.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm less worried about "Indie" and more worried about "good and fairly short and either cheap or has a demo."
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Freedom Force! I was so disappointed when I got a new computer and it didn't agree with the FF game. [Frown]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
It was good enough for me to buy the original twice now, just to have the convenience of having both on Steam [Wink]

RA: But no, its not a particularly short game. It does have a demo though.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I'll be checking out the demo later when I'm on the windows side.

I just downloaded Unity, a game engine native to Macintosh which syncs up perfectly with Maya (I've spent the past two years studying Maya). So far it's pretty intuitive and I have some good ideas (at least, I think they're good) for a fairly simple game I can test it out with. I'm super excited (granted, that may have to do with the heavy dose of coffee I had two hours ago which is still making me jittery).

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Cave Story
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Today I Die. Thanks a bunch.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Plants Vs. Zombies is a very fun game, pretty addictive, and cheap on Steam. There's a free demo, and I believe it's only $10 on Steam, or $19 on the Pop Cap website.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

I actually bought PvZ a few weeks ago, for $20. Which feels like a lot, but honestly I think the age of piracy and ad-sponsored-free content has taught us to undervalue the amount of work that goes into games like that. It occupied me for about two weeks. Compared to a $5 movie ticket I think that's not bad.
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Audiosurf is an amusing way to experience your music. I don't know if I'd exactly call it genius, but it's simple, easy to pick up, you can play for as long as any music file you have on hand and then put it away, and it's all of $10.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.