FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Please Mister Policeman, Don't Shoot My Weiner!

Author Topic: Please Mister Policeman, Don't Shoot My Weiner!
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Submitted without comment:

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=10519956

http://theknightshift.blogspot.com/2009/06/this-is-danville-police-department.html

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to imagine that he felt genuinely threatened by a miniature dachshund, but I dunno...depending on his clothing there might have been a danger of getting bit. If the dog was aggressive then this is really unfortunate and probably unnecessary but, perhaps, not heinous.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm all for the police being able to defend themselves, but a dachshund was a serious threat to life?

Supposedly because the officer feared it might have rabies, which is BS because 1) the police isn't a vet, and 2) the animal control could have checked the dog and if it did have rabies, he could have gotten a shot and suffered no ill effects.

This kind of behavior can't be accepted, because police officers can't just go around shooting as a first response to minor danger.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Cops can shoot your dog if it attacks you.

Like, I mean, they can shoot it with their firearm. Used to happen pretty frequently.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
If you read the comments on the WDBJ site, a lot of people said they'd have shot the policeman.

I once had a spot next to an animal control officer at a school career day. (In my town these are regular cops with special trucks and equipment). He said he get's way more grief when he comes to pick up an animal than when he comes to take a child out of a household, and he's more likely to get violent resistance.

"Take my kid, but leave my dog!"

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
If your dog is barking/lunging at the police officer in or near your home, might be a good time to grab them and put them inside or in another room.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"The dog breed most likely to bite was...the Dachshund. And second was the Chihuahua, followed by the Jack Russell Terrier."
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
The dog biting doesn't surprise me. Based on people I know, if you have a big dog, you train and train and train because if that dog bites, he'll injure/kill someone and likely be put to sleep. But if a little dachshund bites, eh, who cares.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I went through a number of responses but the one I feel is most appropriate is to not be surprised if you have an uncontrolled dog threatening a police officer and that police officer accidentally makes the dog dead.

To reiterate as well: something does not have to be a serious and immediate threat to life to justify an officer's use of a taser.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.