FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ribs

Author Topic: Ribs
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never cooked ribs before.

I have a very nice charcoal BBQ grill and a good side of ribs. I want them for Sunday's dinner.

What should I do?

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
You should attempt a BBQ dance in order to summon the BBQ spirits. May they endow you with grace and the sacred knowledge required.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe/index.html
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
24 hours ahead, rub them with a dry spice mixture.
Cook them low and slow. While cooking, use a basting sauce made from the dry spice mixture, and vinegar. Every 30 minutes, rub the ribs with the mop sauce. For the last 15-20 minutes, crank up the heat, add a BBQ sauce (with different flavors).

I tend to use a spicy dry rub, and a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce at the end.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, nevermind. Not the recipie I thought it was.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure and cook pork baby back ribs. They'll provide the most meat and least hassle of anything you can find.
Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Goldner has the right idea-- low and slow.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
We bought a side of pork from a local butcher (we've done so in the past and its good quality meat). Last time I made my mother's recipe for Sweet & Sour Ribs, but this time I want to BBQ.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nik
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for nik           Edit/Delete Post 
I boil my ribs first, maybe about 45 minutes. This makes them uber-tender. Then I bake them in the oven on something really low for about 3-4 hours. The boiling and baking makes them come off the bone soooo easy.

Then I throw them on the grill with some KC-masterpiece or some SweetBabyRay's until I can no longer hold myself back.

'Ems good eatins.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the only way I like ribs.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Paul, when you say cook them low and slow--for how long on a low heat?
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
The longer the better. I shoot for 4 to 6 hours or more if I can [edit: on indirect heat]. Or until I get drunk.

I've always marinated in advance, never a rub. What spices do you use Paul?

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this...

Mix together 2 tbsp onion powder, 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp cayenne pepper, ½ tbsp white pepper, ½ tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp dried thyme, 1 tbsp dried oregano, 2 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp cumin.

Or you, you can mix 1/2 tbsp of the above with the following: 3 tbsp paprika, 2 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp onion powder, ½ tbsp chili powder, ½ tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp Lowry’s seasoned salt. That's a fairly traditional memphis rub.

This makes a good mop sauce:
Simmer 1 cup strong coffee, 1 cup ketchup, ½ cup Worcestershire sauce, ¼ cup butter, 1 tbsp coarse ground black pepper 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, for 30 minutes.

Especially paired with this rub:
Tbsp black pepper, 2 tea kosher salt, 2 tea chili powder, 1 tea onion powder, 1 tea garlic powder, 1 tea dried parsley, 1 tea dried oregano. For the less spicy taste.

Or, this is bobby flay's, and its pretty awesome:
3 tablespoons ancho chile powder, 3 tablespoons pasilla chile powder, 3 tablespoons ground cumin, 3 tablespoons ground coriander, 3 tablespoons ground ginger, 2 tablespoons garlic powder , 2 tablespoons onion powder , 1 tablespoon allspice, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon ground cloves, 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed, 1 teaspoon chile de arbol, 3 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Herblay
Member # 11834

- posted      Profile for Herblay           Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally:

- Marinade: Water expands when it freezes. Buy fresh meat in advance and freeze it in a marinade. The expansion of the water into ice crystals will force the marinade into the meat.

- A lot of people advocate boiling. I've always found (especially with wet ribs) that with proper marinade, re-application of sauce during the cooking process, and a low slow roast; your ribs will come out almost as tender but a lot more flavorful WITHOUT boiling.

- There are several "Coke" recipes that use soda as part of the barbecue sauce / marinade. SOME of these can work out really well.

Posts: 688 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The crock-pot was MADE for ribs.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, the smoker was made for ribs. The crock-pot was made for pulled pork.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom used to make ribs in the crockpot; they were pretty good until I had them on the grill/smoker.

No contest. I'm not a fan of really wet ribs anymore; a little sauce is fine, but I like a good dry rub much more.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
The crock-pot was made for pulled pork.

I'm going to disagree on that one.

And I've had smoked ribs. They're delicious. They're even better out of the crock pot though. Ribs should be messy!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

I'm assuming you're talking beef short ribs, rivka? I'd agree those are probably better out of the crock pot. But pork baby back or spare ribs? Definetely better q'ed.
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
It is always best to pull out all your rib related spices and a few sauces and mix and match while cooking. Give the ribs what it seems they need at the time.

Also don't buy dr. pepper BBQ sauce. A friend and I saw it and decided it needed to be tried, in reality it needs to be burned.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
I'm assuming you're talking beef short ribs, rivka?

I believe I've had at least three cuts of ribs, and beef, lamb, and veal.

I have no opinion on pork ribs. [Wink]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, that's right. I forgot that Jews BBQ with both hands tied behind their back.

A BBQ without pig meat is not a BBQ. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Because of you people, I bought short ribs this morning. And I'm doing this:
quote:
Originally posted by Herblay:
Buy fresh meat in advance and freeze it in a marinade. The expansion of the water into ice crystals will force the marinade into the meat.

Samprimary
Member # 8561

quote:

One of my friends is a jewish guy who eventually dropped the whole restriction against eating pork thing but before that had said (mostly?) in jest: "pork barbecue is proof that god hates jews and wants us to be unhappy."
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Also on that note, in Chinese, the two most popular types of roast foods, char siu and siu yuk while usually translated in English to "BBQ pork" and "roasted pork", can be translated much more literally.

Literally, they are "(pork on a) fork barbecued" and "barbecued meat" respectively. In other words, if you could literally ask for BBQ meat, you're going to get pork by default.

Actually, that might be true for all styles of cooking actually, but thats a particularly glaring example for me [Smile]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

In the "Boil" ribs recipe, do you boil them in water, or in sauce?
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yup [Big Grin]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

Spring is in the air, and Western Style Ribs were in the freezer (were, they thawed out nicely thank you). The crock pot is heating and the coals are stacking.

Its RIB time America.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Mauve:
In the "Boil" ribs recipe, do you boil them in water, or in sauce?

My brother boils in water, beer and spices. He refuses to give me details beyond that. I leave the ribmaking to him and merely enjoy the fruits of his labor.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
As for temperature, anything over 300 is too hot!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you want shoe leather. [Razz]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Last week in Provo, Utah on Monday I believe we actually crested 68F. This morning the temperature is expected to drop down to 30F, and snow is likely.

Ribs outside of a sit down restaurant are going to have to wait.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecthalion
Member # 8825

- posted      Profile for Ecthalion   Email Ecthalion         Edit/Delete Post 
When i cook ribs i usually soak (marinade) them in whiskey for a day or two, then just toss them on the grill and coat with some sweet baby rays about every 30 minutes.

I also use a rub for ribs and steaks that is about 90% black pepper. I don't measure it out i just coat it until i think it'll be nice, then i do a quick douse with lemon, garlic and some salt.

with steak ill add blue cheese crumbles, i'm not sure how that would go with the ribs though.

Posts: 467 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.