FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alternative Medicine: if it worked, they would just call it medicine (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Alternative Medicine: if it worked, they would just call it medicine
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
...certain animal sources (polar bear liver, for example) can absolutely cause [vitamin A toxicity].

*throws lunch away*
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You know the thing that this article fails to mention is that pretty much 99% of all research never ends up in anything directly useful. I doubt more than 1% of the money spent by the NIH on traditional medical research has resulted directly in an efficacious clinical treatment. That's the way research is and it is the way it has to be. Sure it would be great if we could identify ahead of time the 1% of the research ideas that were going to be profitable in some way. But we can't. That's why its research -- we don't know what's going to happen.

We can rule out some of the more outrageous ideas that conflict with established physical laws, but the truth of the matter is that if you looked at all the proposals that are reviewed by the NIH you'd find we reject a whole lot more things that are basically good ideas and accept almost nothing that is obviously ridiculous.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. Again, I do not see ayone objecting to fed-funded research on these herbs. The objection is against insisting that the results must be wrong when they are not positive.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DDDaysh
Member # 9499

- posted      Profile for DDDaysh   Email DDDaysh         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree that most of this stuff is stupid, but I also agree that it deserves serious research. I think this institute is a GREAT idea, but they really ought to publish the negative results for what they are, especially when some of the substances can cause damage.

I've never had much luck with "non-standard" remedies. I tried one of those zinc products one time, and I think the ONLY thing it would be useful for is weight loss. You have to take those pills like every hour or something, and let it slowly dissolve, and then can't eat or drink anything except water for fifteen minutes before and after. That sounds suspiciously like a doctors recommendation of "drink lots of fluids and rest.

On the other hand, I do take a multi-vitamin because my diet isn't what it should be, and I swear by an extra supplement of B-12 for neurological and emotional health. I think it does as much for me as the Paxil, but that might be because I'm prone to deficiency in it.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.