FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Miyazaki's Ponyo: English Trailer

Author Topic: Miyazaki's Ponyo: English Trailer
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
This has been a big movie trailer week for me.

So pretty!

However, I'm alittle freaked out by the fact that Miley Cyrus' little sister and one of the youngest non-famous Jonas brothers are providing voices for both of the leads.

Why do these two families insist on invading my life?? Bad enough I have to see them on the covers of all the magazines at the bookstore where I work.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Pox. It won't work. I want to see it, at least the Japanese version.

I bet it will be at that fancy theatre that has dove ice cream bars for 4 dollars though.
I like that place.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_LH6C_uXis
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*squee* Miyazaki movies are always full of delight!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't so sure about the art style this time, but then I remembered I've always come out of a Miyazaki movie appreciating the restraint.

Studio Ghibli approaches Osamu Tezuka's style probably the closest. Also Miyazaki's disinterest in moe is always welcome IMHO.

I've enjoyed his work so much, I'll probably see this in theaters, but then again, I can't stand English dubbing.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm in the minority, but I really prefer dubbing unless it's truly horrible. When I don't have to focus on reading text, I find I can appreciate the artwork a great deal more.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
while in general I can't stand dubbing, I find that it's not as true with animation, and what's more, they tend to get really good voice actors for Miyazaki movies.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Strider: Their dubbing is typically better than your average anime it's true.

Juxtapose: I totally get that, for me growing up overseas I saw movies with subtitles my entire life. Even the English movies had Chinese subtitles that I'd try to decipher as I was learning Mandarin. I'm a pretty fast reader as well, so it does not bother me to read text, and watch a movie.

But I can completely understand how for others it's just not that comfortable, my wife is definitely like that.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
In most cases I'm able to read the subtitle very quickly and then watch the scene, until the next subtitle pops up. It works well for me, and I like hearing the natural language, but I hate getting punch-lines or dramatic revelations before they are actually spoken on screen. Ah, well.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

I love subtitles. I even put them on movies in English.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
I have friends whose mother was almost completely deaf, so she always had subtitles on, and they grew up with subtitles as the norm, so they have trouble watching anything without subtitles.

I don't like subtitles when I can understand the language, so we tend to alternate methods. One movie with subtitles, the next without.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Juxtapose: I totally get that, for me growing up overseas I saw movies with subtitles my entire life. Even the English movies had Chinese subtitles that I'd try to decipher as I was learning Mandarin. I'm a pretty fast reader as well, so it does not bother me to read text, and watch a movie.

Hmmm. When I'm watching Hong Kong movies now, we watch with Cantonese audio (which I understand) and traditional Chinese subtitles (for my girlfriend). With Chinese movies, its usually English subtitles with Mandarin audio. Its interesting.

What I particularly enjoy is that in a decent number of Hong Kong movies, in the Cantonese audio track they'll often use multiple languages (Cantonese, Mandarin, English, Japanese) with each actor speaking in their own language of comfort or as the situation requires. The convention is that each character is fluent enough to understand each other, but acts in their native language.

It is not exactly a trend per say, but I find that the movies that do employ this technique are ones that I particularly enjoy.

It really draws me out of the film now when they dub over people from all over with the same language now (and kinda takes away from the original performance).

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.