FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anyone else here a Dream Theater fan?

Author Topic: Anyone else here a Dream Theater fan?
nik
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for nik           Edit/Delete Post 
The 10th studio album came out two days ago, and Mike Portnoy finished up his 12-Step-Suite, which is quite a piece of work. He wrote songs on the Alcoholics Anonymous program, one song per album, a couple "steps" per song, and all the songs are thematically and lyrically related to each other.

They sound awesome back to back, and now the last song is completed and my playlist is complete. It sounds epically wonderful. If you are into metal, definitely check out this album, it is teh awesome.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but I'll have to pick up both that and the new one to complete the 12-Step Suite.

I'm hot and cold on Dream Theater. Some of their stuff I really enjoy, but some of it just feels seriously overwrought and too melodramatic -- the last track on Systematic Chaos is a good example.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I got cold on dream theatre. Basically everything they do is endless melodromatic noodling in the high ROCK OPERATICS genre and, hey, that gets old. Honestly if someone tells me that there is one single song in the studio album better than, say, The Attitude Song, I'll check it out.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.