FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Michael Jackson (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Michael Jackson
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Or so they are saying...

[ July 08, 2009, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the story, he wasn't breathing when paramedics arrived.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
So far, CNN isn't picking up the dead part-just the hospital part.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's been a bad day for the Really Weird Celebrity population.
(Farah Fawcett passed away as well... Today, I think.)

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Los Angeles police have confirmed to KTLA that Pop star Michael Jackson has died at the age of 50."
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
MTV's showing some of his videos now. Part of me had hoped he'd get over the crazy and come out with one more great album. [Frown]

He left a strange legacy but some amazing music and videos behind.

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really hoping he'd transition into writing and producing more. As great as his voice was, it was really songwriting/production/performing that was his genius.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just talking to my bosses about Farrah and Ed Macmahon passing and we were wondering who number three would be. I never would have guessed Michael. 50 yo seems so young to me.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Rest in peace. [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw him in 1996 in Auckland. My daughter went on the Friday night and came home and woke us up and said "I've got to tell you about the concert!" She said she was going the next night, so I went too and took my 13 year old son. It was an amazing experience, he was a truly remarkable performer. This was before all the scandal came out, whatever the truth of that was.
A shame. There's about 750,000 very disappointed ticket holders in Britain right now...

[ June 26, 2009, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing I wondered was whether it was a suicide attempt (before it was confirmed he died). [Frown]
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tara:

Has anyone checked on Crispin Glover?
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Forgive me, but how is Farrah Fawcett "really weird"?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, for all the crap that he's taken over the years, and he certainly earned some of it, I've ALWAYS loved his music, even if I wasn't the biggest fan of him personally. I rocked out to Michael Jackson cassettes as a kid, and I probably always will.

On a lighter note, with the King of Pop passed on, does the throne get passed on to Prince?

Too soon?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scifibum:
quote:

Has anyone checked on Crispin Glover?
It's eerie how once you said that, it made a strange sort of sense to me.

I am surprised Michael's dead to say the least, he was a fantastic performer and songwriter. Though I'll never know in this life if he did the terrible things he was accused of, part of me thinks he is probably happier now than he has been for a long time.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

I predict he's going to be the next Elvis.

People will refuse to accept that he's dead. He'll continue to make appearances in the oddest of places. "I saw Michael Jackson in a Wal-Mart in Tucson!"

It'll be hard for some to accept the fact that he's gone. We're all led to believe that the greatest of celebrities are immortal, and go in to denial when one of them falls.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really shocked. The fellow was a cultural icon after all and has had a lasting influence on pop music...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, after all the recent rumours that he was trying to find excuses not to do the shows, or hiring multiple duplicates to perform his London tour for him -
it's hard to believe that this is true. I keep thinking of the popstar in H2G2 who was spending a year dead for tax reasons.

Anyway, seriously, it's a terrible thing for his kids. Weird as he was, they probably do care very much for him.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in shock right now. I remember as kid we would gather around the tv to watch his latest music video premiere. They really were cultural events back then. And only 50.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
He was my first concert when I was 12 - the Victory Tour with his brothers. It was amazing. As weird as he got in the end he was a fantastic performer.
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
So what does it mean that I heard about this and immediately came here for confirmation?

I'll go watch Thriller for a while, I think. This is surprisingly sad for me.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nighthawk: She did art where she used her body as a paintbrush. There was an appearance on the Letterman show where people thought she was on drugs.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:

Did you read A Paper Moon.? Of course the book might not have been 100% realistic, but it did contain some descriptions of Fawcett's and Ryan O'Neil's home life that really bugged me out.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy @$%#.

This is a little like hearing that Peter Pan has died of Alzheimers. "What? Huh? Did I hear you right?"

He was a remarkably talented dancer and musician, however muddied his reputation may have been in recent years. And he seemed to be on the way to making a public comeback. I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
With all these references to the dude being "weird" -- are we not acknowledging that he was in all likelihood a child molester because it's distasteful to mention it on the day someone dies?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
With all these references to the dude being "weird" -- are we not acknowledging that he was in all likelihood a child molester because it's distasteful to mention it on the day someone dies?

No, I believe that we should remember the man for what we know he did, not what he was accused of. He was the King of Pop, so let's celebrate him for that.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:

Last time I checked people were innocent until proven guilty. He was never found guilty of child molestation, and to be honest I see it as equally likely that parents used his preference for the company of children to get to his pocketbook.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, I agree.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea if he was a child molester or not. Here's what I strongly suspect:

He was never allowed to be a child. He was pressured into a relentless showbiz life and abused with constant performances and rehearsals. I think that once he was in control of his own life - to whatever extent he was - he spent the rest of it trying to have the childhood he didn't get. I think he preferred the company of young boys because that's how he identified himself.

If he did touch children inappropriately, or did abuse children, none of that is any sort of excuse. But that was the impression I had of him.

Brilliant performer, singer, dancer. Tragic nutjob. Possible pedophile.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well said, Chris. I agree entirely.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I have no idea if he was a child molester or not. Here's what I strongly suspect:

He was never allowed to be a child. He was pressured into a relentless showbiz life and abused with constant performances and rehearsals. I think that once he was in control of his own life - to whatever extent he was - he spent the rest of it trying to have the childhood he didn't get. I think he preferred the company of young boys because that's how he identified himself.

If he did touch children inappropriately, or did abuse children, none of that is any sort of excuse. But that was the impression I had of him.

Brilliant performer, singer, dancer. Tragic nutjob. Possible pedophile.

Your opinion is pretty close to my own. But you can hardly blame him for preferring the company of children, look what the adult world kept doing to him, endless speculation about his personality, love life, and court case after court case.
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Chris, my thoughts too.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, MTV is actually showing music videos tonight.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by CaySedai:
Nighthawk: She did art where she used her body as a paintbrush. There was an appearance on the Letterman show where people thought she was on drugs.

Yeah, but, I don't want to sound mean but it's kinda of a stretch to put her in the same category as MJ, no?
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sterling:
Holy @$%#.

This is a little like hearing that Peter Pan has died of Alzheimers. "What? Huh? Did I hear you right?"

Not to stomp all over that feeling, but I suspect (can't say for sure of course), that Jackson has been struggling with substance abuse for many years. Most of that has stayed out of the press because of his public relations staff, but some information about it has leaked over the years. I frankly would not be surprised at all if he had a substance abuse problem that contributed to his death. You do have to wonder about anyone who dies so suddenly at 50. Again, I'm not saying I know anything more than you do, but I strongly suspect drug abuse- just my instinct.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Jackson was crazy. Jackson was as nutty as they come. And it sort of has to be acknowledged. But at the same time we have to acknolwedge that this was the product of the abuse and exploitation he suffered as a child. I consider his life a tragedy. But at the same time I will probably remember him more for his damn good music than the fact that the last years of his life were like watching a train wreck.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not to stomp all over that feeling, but I suspect (can't say for sure of course), that Jackson has been struggling with substance abuse for many years.
I suspect you're right. Reports are coming out already that he may have been on painkillers when he died.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not to stomp all over that feeling, but I suspect (can't say for sure of course), that Jackson has been struggling with substance abuse for many years.
Oh, it's certainly possible. He's been outside of the public eye for long enough that he could have been snorting half of Columbia and chasing it with qualudes and tequila, for all I know. He's also undergone enough surgeries of various kinds that he could have serious health problems I'm simply not aware of. Still, he was starting to perform again, he was relatively young, and if his weird pallor never exactly suggested glowing health, he never seemed to be particularly lethargic or sickly, either. And partly just that his general peculiarity was an obsession with childhood (and that he was an icon of my own childhood) which can't help but make my own mind associate him with youth.

If you had asked me yesterday for a list of ten celebrities I wouldn't expect to reach sixty, Jackson wouldn't have been on the list.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
It"s all a reuse. Michael Jackson was clearly a space alien. He hasn't died, the mother ship has returned and pick to up. I suspect that he will go on trial for violating the prime directive and interfering with the cultural development of earth. He"ll escape in a few years and be back.

Remember you heard it here first.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you people forgotten that Michael Jackson was for a time married to Elvis Presley's daughter. Isn't it obvious what this means?
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
Nick Cage is the next to go?
Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Apparently it's ok to joke about Jackson after 12 hours...
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I also suspect that Jackson had been abusing his own body for years. He was painfully thin and hasn't looked healthy in over a decade. Whatever things he did to his body, that can't be good for the heart. It's a shock to hear of someone dying like that, but I am almost 100% sure that it wasn't his genes that led to his early death.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Apparently it's ok to joke about Jackson after 12 hours...

It's always been OK to joke about Jackson. Aside from that, my joke was actually aimed at Elvis conspiracy theory wackos and not really at Jackson specifically.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

And my joke was aimed at Pixar. Just saying- a real person died right?
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by TL:

Last time I checked people were innocent until proven guilty. He was never found guilty of child molestation, and to be honest I see it as equally likely that parents used his preference for the company of children to get to his pocketbook.
It is only in the eyes of the law that people are innocent until proven guilty. The court of public opinion can serve out its own justice, however unfairly and however misinformed.

I've been trying to decide what to say about this since I watched the news last night and I'm just not sure. I remember loving his music in the 80's and there is no question that his contributions to the music industry will never be forgotten. Yet if I'm to be perfectly honest, I have not been able to enjoy his music for at least the last ten years.

In any case, these things are all going to come out again in the wake of his death and there will be conjecture. At the very least, he lived a hard life and had some mental problems.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just saying- a real person died right?
In all seriousness, Orincoro, I think you'd almost have to have Asperger's or something to not understand the distinction.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I understand the distinction. I still find the behavior to be hypocritical- that is to say, I'm fine with joking about death in general, and I'm fine with joking about Jackson too.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If life were only a matter of what you were fine with, Sartre wouldn't've written a whole book about how annoying it was to worry about what other people thought.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
I understand the distinction. I still find the behavior to be hypocritical- that is to say, I'm fine with joking about death in general, and I'm fine with joking about Jackson too.

Whose behavior do you find hypocritical? I have no qualms about joking about the dead or with criticizing the dead, particularly if the dead person in question was extremely famous.

I will agree that it would be rather insensitive to criticize or joke about the dead to the face of his family members and close friends, particularly at a time when they are mourning their loss. But I think a different standard is appropriate among those of us who only knew this person through the media. If I thought Michael Jackson"s children and syblings frequented this site, I would be more circumspect.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.