FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dress-up geese

Author Topic: Dress-up geese
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
So, in my neck of the woods, people having been dressing up their porch geese for as long as I can remember. It's always been a goose. Even if there are deer and frogs and bunnies on the same porch, only the goose gets the outfit. Is this an Ohio thing? How long has it been going on?
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I see these critters in several of my catalogs all the time. [Edit: Specifically, the one you linked to. But others too, I think.] I don't know how or when or why it started. And I think it's rather odd.

Don't think I've actually seen them in person. Not around here, anyway.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
You have "porch geese"?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamio
Member # 12053

You're making me think I've spelled something wrong...
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people a couple houses over from where I grew up (Illinois, nearish to Chicago) did this. That's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject, though.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Its done by some people here in Missouri. My parents did it for a while. They had a July 4th outfit, a Christmas outfit, a halloween outfit, a Easter outfit and of course, a Thanksgiving Turkey outfit.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, here in Ohio there are a lot of dressed porch geese. It's the gnomes that are naked LOL. I do have a friend with a dressed sheep in her yard, but she's kinda weird.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a midwest thing, I think. I saw a bunch of them in Michigan and Ohio, but not outside of that region.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catalyst
Member # 12119

- posted      Profile for Catalyst           Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I saw them was in western Pennsylvania. I have noticed them in West Virginia as well, but not anywhere outside that region.

It is a strange hobby, but less obnoxious than the collections of hubcaps one sees in the rural south. I suppose every region has its own oddities.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamio
Member # 12053

I kinda want one.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I did see a house with no flowers or bushes in the flower beds at all - the house was ringed with and the flowerbeds full of nothing but lawn ornaments.

I took a picture.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
I wont be impressed until I see them juggled.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of them in Western PA
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother in law thinks hers is adorable. (She's in the Dallas, TX area.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
All around Indiana and Kentucky, saw two in Iowa (wearing john deere stuff) this weekend.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
We have a goose, but he's naked! He is on the front porch, hiding behind one of the post. His little head is poking out like he's going to attack. It scared the mail lady the fist day. lol Also, another big trend in Ohio is the big aluminum star hanging on houses. My husband says, "look, they must be in some kind of star gang."
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamio
Member # 12053

Yes, the aluminum stars, and don't forget the barn quilts.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.