FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » We're going to need a thread for celebrity deaths

Author Topic: We're going to need a thread for celebrity deaths
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about the large amount of celebrity deaths in recent weeks, and it dawned on me that this will only get worse.

The entertainment industry has grown by leaps and bounds over the years. The amount of people in tv, movies, music, writing, etc...has been growing along with the growth in the industry itself. Because of this growing pool of celebrities to draw from, the number of possible deaths in any given week or month will continue to grow as well, especially as the population ages.

So did we just have a particularly bad month of famous people dieing? Or is this indicative of a growing and aging celebrity population?

Eventually the death announcements will inundate the main page, necessitating a "celebrity deaths" thread. Talk about an upbeat thread huh?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
People who were famous in the late '70s and early '80s -- the onset of conscious childhood for many of us -- are going to start dying in droves over the next few years. No big deal.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its almost as if someone was murdering them one by one.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've started to notice that with the number of deaths involved with Babylon 5 (actors portraying Zathras, Franklin, G'Kar).

But yeah, what Tom said.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know Zathras was dead. [Frown]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its okay, he has several brothers.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

While what Tom says is absolutely right, it's also only part of the equation. Don't forget about accidental deaths, suicides, drugs overdoses, etc...these types of deaths are also prone to happen sporadically. And with a greater percentage of people to draw from, the number of these types of deaths will go up as well.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm voting for sunspots [Razz]
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BelladonnaOrchid
Member # 188

- posted      Profile for BelladonnaOrchid   Email BelladonnaOrchid         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just mentioning to my husband yesterday that it's like Death is cleaning house in Hollywood.
Posts: 701 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Sunspot activity has been at an all time low in recent years. I know you have astronomer friends, AJ. Is that what you're referring to?

There's speculation (I don't think it's more than that) that it could cause a cooling period. The last sunspot minimum that was extremely low predated a series of very cold winters called in Europe the little ice age.

Would it be nice to counteract some of the global warming we've been seeing? This winter/spring is the first in a long time that we've had "normal" rainfall in the southeastern US. Our average late winter / early spring is like the monsoon rains in tropical regions. It's deluge after deluge for weeks on end. The 10 years (I'm guessing) before that we had drought (for us). Back in the 1970s we had a decade of floods. So it's hard to say what's weather and what's climate.

But sunspots sound good to me. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Would it be nice to counteract some of the global warming we've been seeing?

Hmm. Global cooling presaged by the death of stars? There's a mixed metaphor in there somewhere.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
We should just make a list of all living celebrities in the original post, and just delete the names as necessary.

That way the thread doesn't get morose. We can all come on and say, "Holy carp, Pauly Shore isn't dead! What a joyous day!".

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that one would depress me.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate thinking about the fact that there's a billion billion billion [/sagan] people out there who will die and it will make us sad.

Like Jack Horkheimer: Star Gazer. Think about it. He is going to die like the rest of us scrubs, but he does not deserve it. He should live forever.

And oh god, James Randi? He's like eighty. NEVER DIE, RANDI. NEVER DIEEEE.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
If it helps, it'll probably be no more than seven, maybe eight billion.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Maybe Samp is talking about all the possible celebrities in all the possible worlds in the universe.

Frisco, thanks for volunteering. Get on it.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: You weren't thinking about a certain notebook, were you?
Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like Jack Horkheimer: Star Gazer. Think about it. He is going to die like the rest of us scrubs, but he does not deserve it. He should live forever.
He's actually an animatronic working at the Miami Space Transit Planetarium (I've always liked that name; makes it sound like an interstellar airport).

You humans are so easily fooled...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

CNN is reporting that Karl Malden just passed away at age 97.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Who's Karl Malden?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I will miss his nose.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

You know what would be ironic? If Randi tried to communicate with people after he died.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

They're falling like dominos. Honestly, why all of a sudden? It isn't even winter.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Who's Karl Malden?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/01/karl.malden.obit/index.html

I Know he won an Oscar for Streetcar, but I'll always remember him as General Omar Bradley in Patton.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Yahoo News: Boxing great Alexis Arguello commits suicide
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:

You know what would be ironic? If Randi tried to communicate with people after he died.
[Big Grin]

In that case at least he'd get to pick who wins the $1MM prize.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
quote:
Who's Karl Malden?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/01/karl.malden.obit/index.html

I Know he won an Oscar for Streetcar, but I'll always remember him as General Omar Bradley in Patton.

Did no one here watch The Streets of San Francisco? Or are you all too young?

How about his American Express commercials?

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Yeah, but those are kind of a given, aren't they?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who's Karl Malden?

Formerly, my father's roommate. But that was many years ago.

---

Added: My father would have turned 100 this year, were he still alive.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Yeah, but those are kind of a given, aren't they?

quote:
Who's Karl Malden?

Apparently not.
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this just some type of selective perception? I mean, I knew of around half of the celebrities that have died recently. People (including celebrities) die all the time.

Sure, Michael Jackson was a big one, but Farrah Fawcett, Billy Mays, Karl Malden, and Alexis Arguello just seem to be getting more and more obscure.

Or maybe it's just a good indication of the time period in which I grew up.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
How about his American Express commercials?

Yeah, I mostly knew him as the "Don't carry cash, carry American Express" guy.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
Isn't this just some type of selective perception? I mean, I knew of around half of the celebrities that have died recently. People (including celebrities) die all the time.

Considering that the opposite of that explanation would be that some larger effect is actually causing the premature death of a specific social class, the answer is yes, absolutely, this is a case of selective perception. There are simply more celebrities being reported on, by more news sources, than in the past. Selecting from a larger pool of people, and more often, changes one's perception of the situation. Perhaps there actually *are* more celebrity deaths in past few years, but there have been more "celebrities" than ever before.

I recall a time when I was in school in San Francisco and we started hearing on the radio news and local news, every single day, about animal attacks, especially dogs attacking children. I believe it got started when a celebrity's (believe it was an SF basketball player, or former player, maybe Tim Hardaway) daughter was mauled by a vicious dog. Outside of some exotic disease or strange weather pattern causing this behavior, which seems unlikely to me (we don't have the Santa Annas), this was simply picked up because it contained everything necessary to make news out of- it had appeal to celebrity, community, animal rights, children- no wonder it became a pet story with the local news (no pun in ten did).

I saw a list of stories in the news a week ago, and Jackson topped the list, ahead of 65 or so people dying in bombings all over Baghdad. I'm not complaining- I get why that is, but it's a very subjective thing, this relationship we have with tragedy.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
(believe it was an SF basketball player, or former player, maybe Tim Hardaway) daughter was mauled by a vicious dog.

If memory serves, it was Sprewell's daughter.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Former NFL star quarterback Steve McNair has apparently been murdered.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
McNair was apparantly killed by his girlfriend, who then killed herself. I feel bad for his wife. [Frown]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

Robert McNamara died today.

This thread was prescient.

kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Were you Robert McNamara-ed into submission*?

I highly recommend watching "Fog of War" to anybody who is planning to start one. Or anybody whose government is planning to start one.

*Points for the first person under 30 to get that reference without looking it up.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

I have no idea what that is, but I did see fog of war. Great documentary.

[ July 06, 2009, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

A Series of Unfortunate Events
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Were you Robert McNamara-ed into submission*?

No, but I was Rolling Stoned and Beatled 'till I'm blind.

Assuming I correctly got the reference to the Simon and Garfunkel song, I'll point out that I'm 22, otherwise... *slowly backs away*

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Xtownaga for the win! [Party]
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.