FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » question for goodreads people

Author Topic: question for goodreads people
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you do in the following situation?

You joined goodreads, added all your books, and rated them appropriately. Then one day you re-read a book that you haven't read in years, and your appreciation for the book changes(for better or for worse). Do you re-rate it at it's current status, or leave the initial rating? Does it matter whether you don't like the book as much as you did or whether you've grown to appreciate it more over time?

I know for children's books I tried my best to rate them as I remembered enjoying them, and not rating them as an adult reading those books, since all their ratings would probably drop. I tried to rate them through the eyes of the me that read them originally. But I don't know if adult books should follow the same rules.

Thoughts?

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
Do you re-rate it at its current status

Yes. Then I (usually) add a note to my review (or as my review, if it didn't already have one) explaining what the rating was and why I changed it.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just go, I liked this book when I was younger, but now I hate it and here's why.
Or, I hated this book at first, and now I like it.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Change it.

If I were reading your review I would want to know what you, now, think of it, not what you thought of it years ago.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I change the rating. My goodreads library is a reflection of my current opinions, not long-ago katharina's opinions.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
The ratings, IMO, aren't as telling as the comments. Whenever a "friend" rates a book, what I really want to know is why they felt that way, and so I eagerly read the review for details. I would be very interested in hearing how or why an opinion of a book changed (for better or worse) after re-reading it.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

good advice guys. I like the idea of commenting on why the rating changed. This would also help me be more religious about reviewing books.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, rate it as you feel about it now. I really like the reviews of books, too, but I can't get up much enthusiasm for going through and writing reviews of books I read before I joined goodreads. I pretty much do review every new book I add, though. To me the reviews and associated comments are the most fun and most interesting part of the site.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Yeah, rate it as you feel about it now. I really like the reviews of books, too, but I can't get up much enthusiasm for going through and writing reviews of books I read before I joined goodreads. I pretty much do review every new book I add, though. To me the reviews and associated comments are the most fun and most interesting part of the site.

This is how I approach it as well. With only a couple of exceptions, I didn't review the books I added but hadn't read in a while. If nothing else, they're not fresh enough in my memory for me to leave a fair review, though the star rating can still leave my impression. Every time I finish reading a new book, or even abandon a new book, I say why. I've got at least two friends who have expresses appreciation for this. [Smile]
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I tried to write reviews of some of my favorite books of all times, that I read a while ago, too. Usually I've read those more than once so I remember them vividly.

My internet was down the last 8 days so I read six new books. I've got to get around to putting them up soon when I get time.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
My internet was down the last 8 days so I read six new books. I've got to get around to putting them up soon when I get time.
wow...the things we get done when we're not wasting our days away at Hatrack!
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Strider:
quote:
wow...the things we get done when we're not wasting our days away at Hatrack!
Dont forget facebook [Big Grin]
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I know! Almost it tempts me to cut down on internet use. But wow those 8 days were bad. I kept stopping to look stuff up, and then realizing I couldn't! It was similar to the way I keep reaching to flip light switches on when the power's out. Plus I felt totally cut off from civilization not to mention my friends. I don't think it's worth it, all in all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.