FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I got Hart's Hope in hardcover!

Author Topic: I got Hart's Hope in hardcover!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, you all care about the status of my book collection.

I've been looking for Hart's Hope in hardcover for a long time now, but it goes for exorbitant prices. If you check the Amazon marketplace right now the cheapest used copy is $70 and up to $150.

The other week I happened to check(as I do every few months) and found a copy for $11. It just came in and it's in great shape(former library copy) and I'm really psyched! Now if only I could transfer the OSC signature from my old paperback copy to this new one.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow cool!

I found a preview copy of Rapunzel's Revenge signed by Nathan Hale in mint condition for $3 at the thrift store the other day.

Yay for book finds!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

what's a preview copy?
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
a book bound before actual printing, for readers to check it out for the publisher and author. A proof of the book, in essence.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes also called an Advance Reader's Copy (or ARC).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

interesting, is that also for media(reviewers) to be able to check it out early? I guess I just assumed that kind of stuff was all just a portion of the regular printing of the books. But it makes sense to do a smaller separate one.

either way, very cool kq!

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
But it makes sense to do a smaller separate one.
Yeah, especially since it is often sent out to reviewers before final editing is done. They used to print galleys, but these days it's pretty cheap to do a small print run instead.

ARC's are also often given away in contests, usually to encourage reader reviews on various online sites (Amazon, LibraryThing, Goodreads, personal blogs, etc.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
But it makes sense to do a smaller separate one.
ARC's are also often given away in contests, usually to encourage reader reviews on various online sites (Amazon, LibraryThing, Goodreads, personal blogs, etc.)
awesome...i want one. [Smile]

I haven't used librarything since i first signed up. I do remember early on thinking LibraryThing was great a recommending books based on your library. The social aspects of goodreads were just such a big draw, as well as all the features that come along with it(reviews, updates, comparing libraries, etc...). Which I think turned out to be a better way to find out about new books. Does anyone still regularly use librarything?

rivka
Member # 4859

I never even signed up on LT. I do know they give away lots of ARC's.

I'm not allowed to sign up for GR giveaway's anymore (although I do still get some ARC's from authors, including one I got yesterday from an old friend), but you are.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a place in Frederick, MD, that is one of the largest used book stores in the world. It wasn;t far from the pool hall I walked to 3-4 times a week when I was stationed there, and I use to go in all the time.

My wife reads almost as much as I do, and we stopped in when we were driving though on our honeymoon. I saw 4-5 original 1st edition books from OSC, all signed, and they had a proof copy of Enders Game too.

We left with at least 12 more books, and I had to drag HER out of the book store for once. Usually it;s the other way around. [Big Grin]

Here's their website. [Big Grin]

I just bought a hardcover copy of Maps in the Mirror there today. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.