FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So exactly what is going on with state Governors these days??

Author Topic: So exactly what is going on with state Governors these days??
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
How many state governor resignations have we had in the last few years? New York, Illinois, New Jersey, South Carolina, Alaska- did I forget any? That's 5 out of 50 states right there, and arguably all of these people resigned in somewhat bizarre circumstances. So what's going on? Have the politics of the whole nation shifted in some unseen way so as to tip all of these people towards their fates whereas in days past, nothing would have happened? All but one has resigned in scandal, and Palin resigns in the midst of some ethics issues and family scandal of a different sort from the others, all men.

Or am I just imagining this, and happen to be too young to realize that things have always been this shifty and changeable in the political realm? Open question- I'm not going to be shocked if some of you tell me I'm not seeing the forest for the trees here. I don't exactly know what the forest used to look like.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
My governor, Bill Richardson, may be the only one recently forced not to resign due to scandal. I wonder which is worse.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Could we get Arnie to resign? I think I could get behind that.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the Arizona governor resign (but not due to scandal)?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
For one thing, it's harder to hide indiscretions than it used to be.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the populous is also getting increasingly fed up with politicians in general. America is turning into an angry mob, and rather than face the mob for their indiscretions, politicians are starting to resign.

edit: Of course, it could also be due to the age of blogging. I mean, a little bitty thing gets swept up into a giant hurricane of hate with shocking speed these days.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

How freaking dare you say such a thing. I will destroy you in prose.

Imma go blog!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
How many state governor resignations have we had in the last few years? New York, Illinois, New Jersey, South Carolina, Alaska- did I forget any?

I take umbrage at that accusation! Our govenor did not resign. He was impeached and removed from office.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
It's also just not a good time for governors in general. They're getting the lion's share of the blame for poor state economies - Pollster and 538 have both been tracking dramatic drops in governor approval ratings all over the country. So far, the economy hasn't been enough to torpedo anyone's gubernatorial career all on its lonesome, but it has left voters with very little patience for personal foibles. Thus, scandal translates to instant backlash and, subsequently, quick resignation (or at the very least, public humiliation and instant lame duckitude).
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd have preferred it if G-Rod had resigned quietly rather than gone down in flames amid a huge fraud investigation. And then for his wife to go on that "reality" show (which for the record I never watched)?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scholarette:
Didn't the Arizona governor resign (but not due to scandal)?

She's SecHomeSecurity now. Most people would call that a promotion, but I guess it still counts.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthonie
Member # 884

- posted      Profile for Anthonie   Email Anthonie         Edit/Delete Post 
If we are counting "promotions," then Gov Huntsman here in Utah is also leaving soon, filling Obama's request to become lead Ambassador to China.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Could we get Arnie to resign? I think I could get behind that.

Is he really that bad? I don't really know either way, but I probably should.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Arnie was voted in to fix the financial situation of the State. The former gov. of California was fired by Californians and replaced by Arnie in hopes of this fix. Didn't happen. He seems to have turned out no better than the man he replaced. I don't fully blame Arnie because part of the problem in an entrenched liberal Democrat majority who continues passing anti-business and pro taxation laws. However, Arnie has turned into them.

Replacing Arnie isn't going to help. What is going to help is to fire all the current people in California government and vote in more Republicans. At the least an even split that makes it more difficult to pass legislation quickly and without thought.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
"You know who would be good to fix the financial situation of our state?"

"An economist or someone with a strong financial background?"

"Naw, actor."

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
I think I'd have preferred it if G-Rod had resigned quietly rather than gone down in flames amid a huge fraud investigation. And then for his wife to go on that "reality" show (which for the record I never watched)?

You, me, everyone else in Illinois except for Roland Burris.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't Arnie been good for California in other ways?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What is going to help is to fire all the current people in California government and vote in more Republicans
And this here is the entire problem with our politics today.

Replace "republicans" with "democrats" and the same problem still stands.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:

You, me, everyone else in Illinois except for Roland Burris.
Who doesn't deserve the job either... I still can't believe that man already has a mausoleum monument built and partially engraved.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I assume that's just rhetorical, because I totally believe that he had a mausoleum in his own honor with the word: "trailblazer" inscribed on it. The dude is Roland Burris- it's like, a brand new archetype of stupid and narcissistic.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Occasional:
Arnie was voted in to fix the financial situation of the State. The former gov. of California was fired by Californians and replaced by Arnie in hopes of this fix.

Um, what?

And the rest of your assessment is at least as far off the mark.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Arnie was voted in to fix the financial situation of the State. The former gov. of California was fired by Californians and replaced by Arnie in hopes of this fix.

Um, what?

And the rest of your assessment is at least as far off the mark.

Actually, I was under the impression, though my memory isn't nearly perfect here, that Davis was recalled by Californians because of fiscal issues, and that Arnie was voted in, at least in part, for his fiscal policies.

I know that wasn't all, but wasn't that a huge issue?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It was primarily fueled by the then-recent electricity crisis. Calling that a question of fiscal policy is rather missing the point.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

It was also done because Davis was just a bit of a tool- and some rich people decided to stage a recall.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
I assume that's just rhetorical, because I totally believe that he had a mausoleum in his own honor with the word: "trailblazer" inscribed on it. The dude is Roland Burris- it's like, a brand new archetype of stupid and narcissistic.

Let me rephrase. I'm amazed at the audacity. I read that within a day or two of his appointment, he already had the marble cutters out adding a new line to his resume.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
It was also done because Davis was just a bit of a tool- and some rich people decided to stage a recall.

Actually, that's accurate too. [Wink]
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Replacing Arnie isn't going to help. What is going to help is to fire all the current people in California government and vote in more Republicans.

So basically you're calling for the California state government to dissolve the electorate and make a better one? Because that's what it would take.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to suspect that this is nothing more than a statistical fluke and does not mean anything at all.

Of course being a state governor in bad economic times is no picnic. Declining tax revenues combined with the increased demand for social services and requirements to balance the budget put Governors between a rock and a hard place with no room to maneuver. I can see why many of them would be looking for a way out of the job.

That doesn't explain the scandals but it there a surprising number of governors have resigned to pursue other opportunities recently which adds to the overall trend.

[ July 06, 2009, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.