FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I just spent 30 minutes trying to make pudding- chaos ensues. I am a cliche.

Author Topic: I just spent 30 minutes trying to make pudding- chaos ensues. I am a cliche.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

But in my defense, the instructions on the pudding packet were all in Czech. It took me a few minutes to work out that I was supposed to warm the milk before I added the packet- but then I couldn't figure out why the pudding wasn't hardening so I put it in the fridge for 5 minutes. Then I took it out and added another packet of mix, then I heated it and it got really thick, so I added some milk, then I tasted it and it was like vanilla chalk. I looked at the packet again and noticed "30-40 g cukr" on the 3rd part of the instructions, so I dumped it all back in the pan and added some sugar, but I think way too much. The whole mass started to bubble and congeal like an awful living thing, so I dumped it back into the bowl again for about the 4th time and kept stirring it. Then I noticed there were all these lumps in it, so I obviously messed up the process somewhere around step 2...

I just tasted it, and it's a super-sweet sort of custard, kind of like what you might get on a continental breakfast danish, only with milky-chalky lumps in it.

I fail at life.

Edit: I think the mistake was the second pack- that was kind of my panic reaction to the milk addition... I think I've created a new food: "superpudding."

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Oooof. The flavor is way too strong and now I'm getting a headache.

Oh well. A waste of 16 crows for pudding packets isn't so bad.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Ugh. Now I'm nauseous. This was a terrible idea.

Note to self. Never. Cook. Anything. Ever. Again.

Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I boiled pasta the other day and put way too much water. Shortly after I added the pasta, the water started to boil over and in a panic I drained the whole thing. It was extremely al dente. I still ate the whole mess, so it wasn't too awful.

That being said, I'm a deft hand at a number of recipes, which allows me to get by in a pinch. I'm definitely not the cook of the household though.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Instant pudding =! cooking

And I suspect that you would have been just fine if the directions had been in English.

Fitz, partially cooked pasta is easy to fix. Boil a new potful of water and put the pasta in. Some restaurants do this deliberately -- cook pasta 80-90%, then hold, and finish cooking to customer order. Allows for fresh-yet-quick pasta dishes.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
You should get a computer. Then you could look up instructions for making instant pudding on the internets. In English!
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Ugh. Now I'm nauseous. This was a terrible idea.

Note to self. Never. Cook. Anything. Ever. Again.

[Big Grin]

This thread is funny. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dobbie:
You should get a computer. Then you could look up instructions for making instant pudding on the internets. In English!

Now you're just talking crazy talk... What's the fun in that?!?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect it wasn't instant pudding. Instant pudding is kind of rare in Europe.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what instant pudding means, but I'm sure what Ori describes is a powder mixed with hot milk and then cooled, which is very common in Poland, Germany, and Luxembourg at least. I don't know how you can get any more instant than that.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
Instant pudding just needs whisked up with cold milk.
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

ahh.

well, ours has the added value of eating hot if someone likes that kind of thing. (bleagh). they fed us it in kindergarten and it made me sick.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually things need heating and stirring before they harden. If it didn't thicken, you either had too much milk or you didn't heat it enough. I would personally start with the milk cold, add the 30g sugar (how did you mess that one up?), the powder and THEN heat, stirring as you do so.

I suspect it's not the same kind of instant pudding as you can get in America, even if it's instant pudding Czech-style.

And I agree, making instant pudding is not cooking. Also-- how do you live if you can't cook? Do you just eat out all the time? Isn't that kind of expensive?

Cooking is very easy. Get English recipes and you will do absolutely fine.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I eat noodles and such at home, I can make ramen or some 5 minute pastas and things like that. In college I used to cook a lot of stuff in my wok, but since I've been in Europe I've been too busy most of the time for real cooking- that and the ingredients here are always a little wonky.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm sure the Europeans manage [Wink] .
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Yes, but I can never find what I want in the store.

That and the checkout lady yelled at me for not weighing and tagging my fruits properly- I thought the tomatoes were per-piece, not by weight.

Kama
Member # 3022

that can't be very healthy for you Ori.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't they mark which item is by weight and which is per-piece?

And I've never seen tomatoes per-piece...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

They do mark them, but every store is different, and its a little hard to figure out the signs if it's not your first, or second language.
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
True. [Smile] The good thing here in France is that in stores in which you have to weigh things yourself there's a number for each fruit/vegetable that has to be weighed, and no number for those that don't. So even if you didn't understand French that could be an indication.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Yes, but I can never find what I want in the store.
Time to try out a few new recipes, perhaps?
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Orinoco, I think that instant pudding counts as cooking. I was very proud of myself for making good brownies from a box last week.

Lots of trial and error, though. I did unpleasant things to a steak last night.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Brownies from a box is several levels more difficult than instant (or semi-instant) pudding. Anyway, it can actually be easier to cook from scratch than from a mix in many cases. Mixes can be very unforgiving. (Which was my point -- not to let a bad experience with a mix discourage him from trying to cook in the future.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

You know, I'm not a fan of cooking-- I don't cook for pleasure but out of necessity. However, I do feel very privileged to have been taught how to cook.

I can cook brownies out of a box, to difficult cakes, to stir fry, to stew, to steak, to gravy, to soup. I can cook every basic vegetable and every basic carbohydrate in every form. I can roast, deep-fry, boil and deep-fry meat; I can cook or use most basic fish types. I can make up dishes on the fly from whatever's in the fridge, I can follow recipes and I know when and how to modify recipes when they don't work the first time.

I'm not a cordon bleu chef, like I said, but I've been rigorously instructed on how to buy and make a wide variety of meals.

One of the things people often have problems with is burning stuff. The secret to not burning stuff is to be in the kitchen when you're cooking. Living in residence, I rescued burning food more than once.

I feel like many cook books are counterproductive to the clueless cook. They are generally full of recipes. They assume you already know how to thicken a sauce if it turns out too thin, or what consistency your cake mix should be, or how to test if your cake mix is done.

Many people will attempt a recipe (a cake recipe, for example), but not knowing what the consistency is supposed to be like they put the uncooked cake in the oven too dry or too wet. They might have an oven that cooks faster and overdo it, and they might have a wet mixture and a slow over and not know that their cake is still wet inside. The product is inedible. "I can't cook!" they wail.

You can cook. Everyone can cook.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
The secret to not burning stuff is to be in the kitchen when you're cooking.

oops! [Wink]
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well-- once you know how long stuff has before it boils dry, you can leave the kitchen. I know YOU know how to cook, rivka.
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can roast, deep-fry, boil and deep-fry meat

Am I sensing a favorite here? ;-)
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You can cook. Everyone can cook.

Only if they have been "very privileged to have been taught how to cook" or "rigorously instructed on how to buy and make a wide variety of meals".

Most people probably can be taught to cook but many people don't have someone who can teach them. And it is harder to learn when you are older.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Well-- once you know how long stuff has before it boils dry, you can leave the kitchen. I know YOU know how to cook, rivka.

Yeah, but forgetting about something just long enough to singe it 'round the edges is a problem I do have.

My kids understand the term "Cajun style". [Wink]

scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother boils pots dry chronically. I know the smell of corn-turned-to-charcoal intimately. (It is not a very good smell.) She has recently branched out into setting smoking pots down on flammable surfaces. This is all because my mother is under the impression that she can multitask. She thinks it's a good idea to grade her students' papers in another part of the house while a cooking process that takes all of five minutes is underway.

I blame society, and this "women are good multitaskers" idea that came from somewhere.

(BTW, my mother can follow a recipe, and can cook without directions, in a pretty basic way, but is boring in the kitchen except for the charring incidents. Probably wise of her not to take up deep frying.)

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I feel like many cook books are counterproductive to the clueless cook. They are generally full of recipes. They assume you already know how to thicken a sauce if it turns out too thin, or what consistency your cake mix should be, or how to test if your cake mix is done.

This is why, when I want to try something unusual, I have taken to watching video tutorials on Youtube. I'm also a fan of public television's America's Test Kitchen. Their Chicken Tikka Masala started me on curries after several fancy cookbooks had me discouraged with long lists of expensive whole spices that I was to grind whole because commercial spices are how you make FAKE CURRY! [Eek!]
Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Living in residence, I rescued burning food more than once.

What does "living in residence" mean?

I once woke up from an afternoon nap in an old house I shared w/ roommates. A cloud of thick smoke was making me cough. I stumbled out to the kitchen and discovered that one of my roommates had decided to boil some frozen mixed veggies. And then just went . . . away. So glad I was home.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

Dorming.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
quote:

Dorming.
Or living in a residence hall. (Residence halls are technically different from dorms.)
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Didn't know that. How are they different?
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
For one thing, they have a different name.

[Wink]

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

quote:
Didn't know that. How are they different?
Oops, sorry, I posted that right before lunch and then got busy with work all afternoon...

When I was in school, I was informed that the difference was this: Dorms have community facilities, whereas Residence Halls don't. So, a dorm has a community bathroom at the end of the hall. In a residence hall, the bathrooms would be shared between a couple of rooms.

There were some people in campus housing who did not take lightly to people who didn't know the difference...so I learned that right away. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That sounds like a difference specific to a certain school. I have seen dorms with communal facilities and some where each cluster (2-6) of rooms share one.
Tstorm
Member # 1871

Well, that's certainly possible. At any rate, whenever someone uses the term, "Residence" in reference to a campus housing situation, that's what pops into my mind. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.