FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me make a setlist!

Author Topic: Help me make a setlist!
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
Band Members: 2
Instrumentation: Voice, Ukulele, Acoustic Guitar

Songs planned so far:

3 Little Birds - Bob Marley
No Woman No Cry - Bob Marley
Over the Rainbow - Bruddah Iz
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffett
Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles

What some some other songs that mesh with those mentioned above, that fit into a laid-back acoustic bar at the shore setting?

I am looking for stuff that is easy to play and that the crowd will want to sing along with and drink some booze.

Thanks!

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Something - George Harrison
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Bring It On Home to Me, Sam Cooke
Give Me One Reason, Tracy Chapman
What a Wonderful World (as performed by Louis Armstrong, don't remember who wrote it...)
I've Just Seen a Face
Blackbird

If they get drunk enough you can do Yellow Submarine. [Wink] That's always a hit with kids and drunken crowds.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jamio
Member # 12053

- posted      Profile for Jamio           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Riddance - Greenday
Wonderwall - Oasis
The Rainbow Connection
Let it Be - The Beatles
Sex and Candy - Marcy Playground
It's Too Late - Carol King

'Swhat my friends sing when they're drunk, anyway. Me, I'm a big fan of Muskrat Love.

Posts: 101 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

the uke version of over the rainbow medleys with what a wonderful world

something is a good choice, and here are other beatles tunes i am considering:

and i love her, if i fell, because, with a little help, norwegian wood, yesterday, eleanor rigby

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

something is a a very good choice, george harrison is a certified guitar genius....

the chords in that songs are so simple at parts but so rich and vibrant in others.

the main riff is so cool because the top of the voicing moves up and the bass notes move down

crazy!

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ya - Andre 3000. Seriously.
Such Great Heights - Postal Service
Time After Time - Cindy Lauper

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

Oh, and I second Wonderwall. I just learned to play that on my uke. It's quite easy transposed to Em.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
You can learn to play Wonderwall even!
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

wonderwall is a great tune
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who read the title of this thread as "Help Make Me a Sexist" and went "What?!" before reading it correctly?

Also, I love a lot of your selections.

Also:
Hey Julie - Fountains of Wayne
The General - Dispatch (also Bang Bang, Outloud, Hey Hey... there are a bunch of good ones that would go well on Uke and Guitar)

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

thats funny, the general is a good song too! that reminds of my college days
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
Hey Ya - Andre 3000. Seriously.

I have heard that played with these same instruments a few times, I really don't like it. It is more amusing than anything.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Cash is great for drunk singing, the more inebriated they are the closer they get to his sound.

But honestly, Boy Named Sue, and Cocaine Blues would be fun I think.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

quote:
I have heard that played with these same instruments a few times, I really don't like it. It is more amusing than anything.
It depends, I think. I've heard it just done for laughs, and it was pretty amusing. I've also heard people do it who pretty drastically change the style, and it can work well. Matt Weddle would be my go-to example here.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Closer to Fine - Indigo Girls

Great harmonies, and a great song.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.