FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Massachussetts sues the Federal government over DOMA

Author Topic: Massachussetts sues the Federal government over DOMA
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's not all that surprising. What's interesting is that they aren't contesting Section 2 of DOMA, which says that the Full Faith and Credit clause doesn't apply to SSM. Utah doesn't have to recognize same sex marriages entered into in Massachussetts. They're contesting Section 3, which says that marriage is defined as one man and one woman for all federal purposes. And they're right: that was totally overstepping. Back when some states allowed interracial marriage and others didn't, the federal government didn't get involved, and they shouldn't have done so here.

Has SCOTUS ever denied cert to a suit brought by a state?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Better to get it repealed but good for MA.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Better to get it repealed but good for MA.
Sure, it would be, but take what victories (or possibilities for victories) you can get. It's a process after all.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think we'll win given the make up of the SCOTUS.

That won't stop me from dancin' nekkid(*) in the streets if we do.

(*) Well, maybe not nekkid.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobsen
Member # 11808

- posted      Profile for hobsen   Email hobsen         Edit/Delete Post 
The filing should be available here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17208457/Massachusetts-v-USA-re-DOMA

The challenge seems interesting because so far as I remember the United States Constitution says nothing about what might be loosely described as family law, suggesting those who wrote it thought such decisions as setting the minimum ages for marriage or whether first cousins should be allowed to marry should be left to the states. But extending federal benefits to same sex marriages might also be considered as giving an undue federal preference to such states as Massachusetts which have legalized them. And the SCOTUS defies prediction, in part because the present justices may not want future generations to remember them chiefly for something like the Dred Scott decision, which permanently damaged the reputations of those involved. History suggests that when public sentiment is changing rapidly, the SCOTUS treads with great care. So at a guess the SCOTUS may in the end rule on this case, but find some means to avoid settling this issue once and for all. But who really knows with the SCOTUS?

Posts: 50 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect SCOTUS will punt and refuse to hear it.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I bet they'll let the appeals court make the decision and leave it at that.
Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's been a post about this yet, so, in semi-related news, New Delhi Lifts Colonial-Era Ban on Gay Sex

Since then, the ruling has been challeneged, and could be taken up by India's supreme court.

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. Can just any random astrologer with no obvious grievance send cases to the Indian High Court? Or is he claiming to have actually been harmed in some way by the lifting of the ban?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
The supreme court there can apparently take petitions in certain circumstances. I don't think the astrologer (he's supposed to be some kind of TV personality) is claiming personal harm.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.