Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » RepRap

Author Topic: RepRap
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. This looks like it could be a nascent world-changer. Or, if not a changer -- at least a small improver. I did a search and didn't find any topics on the subject. So this is a heads-up thread.

Call me excited about the possibilities, but tempered in my expectations.

Now to save up $500.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
More just a matter of developing the market and shaping it to work for household use at this point- these things have existed for decades. Now, the interesting bit will be how online infrastructure and open (or closed) source design communities begin to utilize the technology for household or amateur use. It remains limited in that what it can create is one type of plastic, but finished products need resin coatings, finishing, painting, and other post manufacture alteration to make them complete. You show me a 3d printer that does all *that* stuff, plus works in a variety of materials, and I'll be excited, but we're not at the point where we can just print our toothbrushes and guitar picks.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Hence the word nascent.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well, ok then.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.