FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » To the crazy lady in my store today, (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: To the crazy lady in my store today,
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:
The Starbucks sizes make perfect sense to me.

Short (regular) - 8 oz
Tall (more than regular)- 12 oz
Grande (large) - 16 oz
Venti (twenty) - 20 oz

(Ok, prepare for me to sound snooty)

After having spent only a total of two or so years of my life in Europe, the sizes of American coffees are disgusting. I used to like them, but the idea now of having that much coffee in one serving is a little repulsive. You can get Starbucks all over Europe now, though it's not everywhere like in the US, but you just don't see people ordering the kinds of jumbo coffee servings you get in America or England these days. I don't think Starbucks would survive outside the real tourist centers of European cities: Louvre and Montparnasse in Paris, Vaslavské Namčste in Prague, places like that with tons of foreign tourists who just want to see a smiling face and be 100% certain they will be accommodated in English, and will know what's on the menu. Which, when you think about it, is a pretty nice thing to have when desperate.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am always prepared for you to sound snooty.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
Orincoro, is the milk curdling an issue? Are you putting the milk in cold?

When I mix it with regular coffee yes, but you're right, when I am making an espresso drink, the milk is warm- but not as warm as the coffee, so it should still go first.

Milk first people.

I've tried it both ways, and I prefer milk last.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
It really is just a matter of taste, so long as your espresso isn't just sitting there waiting. Anything more than 10 seconds after it finishes pouring is way too much.

After having spent only a total of two or so years of my life in Europe, the sizes of American coffees are disgusting.

I definitely agree with this. The Fred Meyer by my house has a coffee stand inside it that offers 32oz lattes. I can't even imagine drinking that much milk. And still only two shots of espresso, ugh.
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
For the non-coffee drinkers, here's a really good set of diagrams that show the different type of coffee drinks.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by Juxtapose:
I think that, back in the day, no one knew what a latte was. Cappuccinos were the only espresso drinks that people had heard of, so that's what they called any combination of steamed milk and espresso. I still occasionally have people come in who order a cappuccino when they really want a latte. So a "mochaccino" wouldn't be different from a mocha. I think.

Many people in England still don't *really* get what a cappuccino is supposed to be- basically they make it in a kind of very foamy latte. Also some confusion over which goes in first, the milk or the espresso (I prefer milk first, so it doesn't curdle).

It depends on where you go. Some places do them better than others. On the other hand, when I was in Caen, I stopped into a little roadside place and their version of a cappuccino was a shot of espresso with a generous dollop of whipped cream on top. So it's not just the English who are confused. (The coffee was the best I've ever had.)
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I am always prepared for you to sound snooty.

Don't be like that.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
When I was in Caen, I stopped into a little roadside place and their version of a cappuccino was a shot of espresso with a generous dollop of whipped cream on top. So it's not just the English who are confused. (The coffee was the best I've ever had.)

Reminds me of Austria- ask for an "iced coffee" the next time you're there and see what you get.

(a hot cup of drip coffee with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it). Most surprised I've ever been by a cup of coffee- it was still good.

By far the best variant on iced coffee is the Vietnamese variety: an espresso press right on the table, accompanied by a small cup of condensed milk, and a glass of ice. Drain the espresso and mix it with the condensed milk, and pour the drink over the ice. Yum, Yum, Yum.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Condensed milk gives me the willies. And not the good kind of willies.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

You should try it with Milo, it's fantastic.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I definitely agree with this. The Fred Meyer by my house has a coffee stand inside it that offers 32oz lattes. I can't even imagine drinking that much milk. And still only two shots of espresso, ugh.

Holy crap, who drinks a quart of milk in one sitting??? [Eek!]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

A 32 ounce latte wouldn't be 32 ounces of milk. It has coffee in it too. I can drink 16 ounces of skim milk with a meal. I don't see why a 32 ounce latte is so incredible. I doubt the person ordering it is gulping down the entire thing the second they get it.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:

Dare I ask what a "good willy" might be? [Angst]
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
RRR: A 32 oz. latte with two shots only has 2 oz. of espresso. Unless you put in a significant amount of sugar syrup you're still getting mostly milk. But I agree that drinking 32 oz. of milk is doable; a quart of 2% milk only has about 520 calories in it, and is mostly water, anyway. I wouldn't personally like to drink that much, though.

ETA: It's doable, assuming your body is capable of digesting that much lactose at once.

Orincoro: If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
RRR: A 32 oz. latte with two shots only has 2 oz. of espresso. Unless you put in a significant amount of sugar syrup you're still getting mostly milk. But I agree that drinking 32 oz. of milk is doable; a quart of 2% milk only has about 520 calories in it, and is mostly water, anyway. I wouldn't personally like to drink that much, though.

ETA: It's doable, assuming your body is capable of digesting that much lactose at once.

The prospect is unappealing to me. I do like me a 14-16 oz late with 2-3 shots in it. I used to get them at this little indy place in Davis called Miska's. Still the very best lattes I've ever been able to get on a regular basis, or in fact at all. I miss that place- maybe America's not so bad after all. :tear:
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
quote:
quote:

A 32 ounce latte wouldn't be 32 ounces of milk. It has coffee in it too. I can drink 16 ounces of skim milk with a meal. I don't see why a 32 ounce latte is so incredible. I doubt the person ordering it is gulping down the entire thing the second they get it.
So I rounded up.

I can't drink more than 10-12 ounces of milk in a sitting without feeling incredibly full, so to me, 30 ounces is 3 times as much as I could drink at one time. (And I only drink skim! My husband says skim is less filling.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It takes me an hour to drink a 20-oz latte. A 32-oz would last all morning.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
A quart of milk is only about 3 glasses. I know there are plenty of times I've drunk that much milk at a meal. Fear my lactose digesting powers!

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel Juxtapose, all the more often at my convenience store in the middle of the night, little suburban girl asking "Where am I?" I tell them the streets, and when they stare blankly at me I tell them the city.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
See, I never understood the whole latte, frappuccino, caramel machiato thing, and I worked at Starbucks.

I like like a small, plain cup of black coffee.

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
See, I never understood the whole latte, frappuccino, caramel machiato thing, and I worked at Starbucks.

See I've never understood the whole coffee thing, and I was taught by elementary school teachers. I like like a smooth cool can of Dr. Pepper.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you there, Dr. Pepper is delicious.

I don't get your meaning about elementary school teachers though . . .

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
A quart of milk is only about 3 glasses. I know there are plenty of times I've drunk that much milk at a meal. Fear my lactose digesting powers!

--Mel

Wow, those are some impressive powers!

I drank 3 glasses of milk at a meal once (but, like, 6 ounce glasses.)

And then I threw up.

I was pregnant at the time. [Wink]

Orincoro
Member # 8854

When are you *not* pregnant?
rivka
Member # 4859

For a minimum of a week after each kid is born.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:

See I've never understood the whole coffee thing
Well, of course not--it's a hot drink, after all.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Do you know, I was going to say at the end of that post, "I know Orincoro thinks that's always. But it's not." But I decided to let him say it instead.

Thanks, Orincoro. [Razz] )

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
I'm with you there, Dr. Pepper is delicious.

I don't get your meaning about elementary school teachers though . . .

Seems like every elementary teacher I encountered (outside of Utah) drank ALOT of coffee.

Yes I am guilty of selective bias.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
(Do you know, I was going to say at the end of that post, "I know Orincoro thinks that's always. But it's not." But I decided to let him say it instead.

Thanks, Orincoro. [Razz] )

Maybe for purposes of convenience, you should just state when you are referring to a time when you were *not* pregnant, and we can assume all other situations involved pregnancy.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.