FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » smelly house

Author Topic: smelly house
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
my house has recently developed a moldyish type of smell

it is more prominent in the basement and on the first floor, but more-so the basement.

NJ has gotten alot of rain in june, and i think it may be due to this.

does any one have any recommendations to help diagnose this problem or remove the smell?

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paigereader
Member # 2274

- posted      Profile for paigereader   Email paigereader         Edit/Delete Post 
do you happen to have a front loading washer down in that basement?
Posts: 204 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I say roll with it and start a home-based penicillin business.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
paige, i don't

i think i am going to open the basement window, bring a fan down there, and change the water in in the dehumifier more frequently

upstairs i am going to open every freakin window

frisco, if only life were that simple

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Baking soda is a great deodorizer, and it's cheap. I've started using it on my carpets because of my cats. Buy a couple boxes of Arm & Hammer or the store generic, open them up and place them in a few places around the room. Sprinkle it on carpets, let it sit a while and then vacuum.

If it continues, you may want to then call in a company that specializes in foundation issues to see if you have cracks and leakage.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you noticed water in the basement? It could be sump pump time.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
We've had this problem at my house in Virginia, I'd pull up the carpet in the corners and the edges and see if the pad underneath is wet.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Philosofickle
Member # 10993

- posted      Profile for Philosofickle           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming of course that there is carpet in your basement.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if there's been a lot of moisture and you're smelling something moldy, you probably want to figure out whether the house is developing a mold problem. Like an inside-wall, under-carpet sort of issue.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Smelly house, sme-lly house,
why aren't they cleaning you?
Smelly house, sme-lly house,
it's not your fault!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been thinking the same thing, PSIT. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Vinegar, peroxide, baking soda. All good at odor killing
I should mop the floor with all of those things, but i need a bucket.

I do have a smelly moth.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
If something smells moldy.... it may be mold. Mold can make you si- why has no one esle said this.

Mold bad, call man to show up and make mold go away.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.