FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Feynman lectures online

Author Topic: Feynman lectures online
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The Character of Physical Law is one of my favorite books by Richard P. Feynman. It conveyed to me a deep understanding of what the universe is like, to the extent that we know it through science. He had a deeper understanding of what is actually going on, a feel in his head for how things work, that few physicists seem to know in the same immediate intuitive way that he knew.

I've recommended that book to friends dozens of times. It's an extraordinary book.

Now the original lectures the book is based on have been made available online by Bill Gates. I love Feynman so much. He's got such a passion for his subject, and has such a brilliant clear mind. If you're at all interested in how the universe works, in a deep understanding of the natural world, please watch these lectures.

The Character of Physical Law

And if you like, we can talk about them here on this thread. =)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hit that.

Yes. It's back!

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Surely you're joking.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not back.

(I'd still hit that though...)

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natural_mystic
Member # 11760

- posted      Profile for natural_mystic           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link.
Posts: 644 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome, thanks Tatiana!
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
There's also a series of video lectures online here, of Feynman lecturing on quantum electrodynamics. These lectures were the basis for his book QED.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

- posted      Profile for Sean Monahan   Email Sean Monahan         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, of course, there is Feynman's lecture on orange juice.
Posts: 1080 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Sean, thanks for the link to the QED lectures. I love that book as well, so I'll watch them next.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I <3 Richard Feynman!
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean Monahan
Member # 9334

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
Sean, thanks for the link to the QED lectures. I love that book as well, so I'll watch them next.

And thank you for your link; I had not seen those lectures before.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I just watched the one about past and future. It was so awesome. I'm enjoying all of them but that one was particularly interesting, I thought. The thing I find most fascinating is when he generalizes at the end about what it all might mean and what implications these things have. He does that near the end of most of these lectures.

First he explains in pretty good detail a concrete concept, giving examples and using good metaphors so we come to understand it. Then at the end he sort of speculates or philosophizes or extrapolates to talk about what we know about the universe and nature because of these things. To me that's the most exciting part. But without those concrete ideas at the beginning to fix us in the ground of reality, the speculation part at the end could degenerate into just fantasy, you know? I love how it's tied to real understanding. I feel like he truly advances our knowledge this way.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

I've watched the first two of the QED lectures, now, after finishing the first set I linked to above. They're a lot of fun. Feynman is really fun to watch. He's a real showman.

He's also the indirect reason why anyone in the U.S. has heard of Tuvan throat singers, since he and his friend Ralph Leighton sort of made them well known.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

Alas, now I've watched them all, and don't know what to do anymore about my Feynman cravings. I guess I could reread Surely You're Joking.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.