FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Even the talentless can make beautiful music.

Author Topic: Even the talentless can make beautiful music.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix

I've been spending most of my time today messing around with it. It's cool. Try it. [Smile]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That could get dangerously addictive. Pretty awesome, actually. It's funny how you can just click around and suddenly have this (albeit repetitive) but kind of nice, relaxing music going. I just messed around and the bit I made me think of music for a computer commercial or something.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to see what this looks like as a physical interface, check out the Monome 256!

It's teh kewlz0r.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Addicted.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
cool
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
The thread title just seems like you're bating either Orincoro or myself... [Wink]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, you're going to see a lot of this sort of thing online in coming years, as more and more hobbyists write these sorts of programs, with programs like Max/MSP and audiotool, you can do all kinds of stuff like this with ease- the limit is your imagination.

Yeah, I was thinking that too bando.

But actually looking at this more closely, if I were the designer I would worry about being sued by Yamaha for ripping off a program made for the Tenori-On. It's possible that that program is also licensed from another developer, or not under copyright for some reason, but it's quite similar to one of the functions of the Tenori On.

My only issue with the programs like this that I've seen is that they're all too dumbed down. You don't see a lot of them with any dynamics controls or any really good way of altering the program mid-flight to change the interactions of the buttons. In fact, you can buy custom made boxes with button arrangements like these, and people make them as hobbyists with all kinds of controls, then write programs for them for live performance, so you can use them for sampling or playing live, or as control consoles for video or other live installations, literally anything you want- the "magic box" concept is really getting adopted by the electronic music community right now.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooo. Relaxing.
Almost as cool as punkomatic.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh thanks for sharing that.
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, knew the link before I even opened the thread...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BandoCommando:
The thread title just seems like you're bating either Orincoro or myself... [Wink]

What do you mean? Are you guys in a band? Sorry, I really have not been keeping up with what Hatrack has been up to.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
They're the "music guys" - Orincoro links to his music here all the time, and I'll let you figure out BandoCommando's link to music... [Big Grin]
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! It's fun to see a link between music and geometry... "this is how a triangle sounds", etc. I made a song with a heart right in the middle of it that sounded pretty dang good. I wasn't even intending to make a heart - I just realized it after it was done.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.