FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google Voice

Author Topic: Google Voice
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get your invite? If not go here.

For more info go here.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
My question is, will it be available to European Union phone numbers or just to US numbers?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Google bought GrandCentral.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Google should purchase several health care providers and take care of nationalized medicine on their own.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was JUST thinking to myself that recording a phone call should be a feature on my cell phone, and I see it's one of the features of this new service.

Edit to add: I also like the ListenIn feature. Call screening is back!

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great! I can't wait until Google is my cell phone provider too.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I signed up for it weeks ago and haven't gotten an invite yet.

My roommate has been a google voice power user since day 1. It's annoying. But it does seem like a really handy serbice.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll watch the video if I have to, but I'm a bit mystified as to what this service actually is. Is it VOIP?

Edit: Ok, this explains it:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2349365,00.asp

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Just signed up.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my invite. I wish they'd have a system tray applet like GTalk, instead of having to open the browser to use it.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish apple wouldn't block this from the iPhone.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm missing something...

1) Why is a forwarding number necessary? Thought the whole point of Google Voice is that everything can be done online; why do they need my personal cell number?

2) Why can I only use my cell number ON ONE ACCOUNT? I have a personal and planned to have a corporate account, but I can only use my cellphone on one of them. The other can't be activated and live until I give it a number and verify it.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Maybe I'm missing something...

1) Why is a forwarding number necessary? Thought the whole point of Google Voice is that everything can be done online; why do they need my personal cell number?

2) Why can I only use my cell number ON ONE ACCOUNT? I have a personal and planned to have a corporate account, but I can only use my cellphone on one of them. The other can't be activated and live until I give it a number and verify it.

To your first: I'm pretty sure they need your phone number so they can call your phone when people call the number. That way, when people call you, you can answer the phone.

To your second: I think it's designed to be more "one number to rule them all" than "another phone number". Which may tie into question one.

Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

NOOOOOOOO. I was invited only to discover that non-Northern American services are "not yet" covered. Isn't this always the way? Keep giving Europe the shaft America, and pretty soon you're gonna find out just how sullen and slightly impolite we can be.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this "we" stuff, American boy? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Ssshhhhh. Be cool.
Orincoro
Member # 8854

And technically I am a European resident, so it makes me sort of a European in the official sense, though not in the sense of nationality or birth.
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Since Hatrack was so amazing already in the Google Wave thread, I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if there are any voice invites floating around?
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

I have a few. What is your email address?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Google should purchase several health care providers and take care of nationalized medicine on their own.
You know, that's a remarkably good idea.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Sent!
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Valentine, thanks so much! I got the invite, I'm now just trying to get over the paralysis and decide whether to get a Google number or use my own....eeeek. Thanks though!
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.