FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Alice Returns to Wonderland

Author Topic: Alice Returns to Wonderland
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's supposed to be a sequel, but the trailer makes it look suspiciously like a remake. I don't know how I feel about this.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/85149/movie-trailers-alice-in-wonderland

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
That's because she doesn't remember her first visit to wonderland and she slowly remembers through flashbacks. Think of it as a mix of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
That looks terribly creepy. I think I'm going to stay far away.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
As a loyal Tim Burton fan, it looks like it's right up my alley. I'm excited for it.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks pretty wonderful.
Anyone remember 'Return to Oz'? The one where Dorothy has electro-shock treatment and Oz has gone to rack and ruin? I loved that film as a kid.
This reminds me a little of that, only it looks much better.

Plus I never get tired of seeing Johnny Depp playing a crazy person.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
That looks pretty wonderful.
Anyone remember 'Return to Oz'? The one where Dorothy has electro-shock treatment and Oz has gone to rack and ruin? I loved that film as a kid.
This reminds me a little of that, only it looks much better.

Plus I never get tired of seeing Johnny Depp playing a crazy person.

me too or a sane handsome person. JD is just lovely.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
I always found Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass to be very creepy. Seems right up Burton's alley to me.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking at the cast list, I don't think I'll be able to stay away. Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Anne Hathaway, Timothy Spall, Stephen Fry(!). So many favorites.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Christopher Lee too.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
And Crispin Glover! Who doesn't love that guy?
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
From the trailer it almost seems like its mostly an excuse for Johnny Depp to play the Mad Hatter. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and don't have enough expectations of what a faithful adaptation of the world should be to be disappointed. [Smile]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
I always found Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass to be very creepy. Seems right up Burton's alley to me.

Amen. Should be great. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Of course, I grew up reading the book. And for years, the only movie version of the story that I had seen was NOT the cutesy Disneyfied version, but a live action that starred Carol Channing as the White Queen. There were a lot of famous people in it from what I see on IMDB, for anyone wanting to look it up, it's the 1985 version of the story. I vividly recall running and hiding from the Jaberwocky when I was younger. The book is creepy too. While the Disney version is beautifully drawn, and you can see that he attempted to have the creepy feeling in the drawings, I never felt that it was done as well.
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm incredibly excited for this...
Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the books. Will need to reread them sometime soon. But I must admit that I'm totally stoked to see Tim Burton's interpretation/adaptation of Wonderland. Based on the Mad Hatter look, I would expect it to be much more in line with my own version of the works. Pumped.

The man who brought us Edward Scissorhands now brings us Wonderland.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat. And I am greatly looking forward to this.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
Andi, I too grew up with the 1985 version and also remember having the crap scared out of me by the Jabberwocky. I really enjoyed the NBC version they did late nineties/early 2000's (?).

Anyways, I'm still not sure what to make of it. My first impression when I saw a picture of Johnny Depp's mad hatter was "Holy Crap! He's going to haunt my nightmares!" But I remember my first impressions of images from Burton's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" was that it looked freaky but then I saw it and was like, "Oh, ok, it's not creepy, just weird" (still didn't care much for it, though).

The visuals are neat, though I kind of wish they didn't always have overcast skies (I think the greyed-out color scheme's starting wear thin on me). But maybe that plays a part in the story.

The cast is great. I'm excited about Fry as the cat, Rickman as the caterpillar, Hathaway as the White Queen (it should be a different kind of role for her). I actually think I like the glimpses it shows of Depp's performance, though I wonder if the trailer overplays his part (what I mean is: will he be there onscreen with Alice pretty much the whole time or will he have a smaller supporting role, just popping in and out). Out of the two possibilities, I think I'd actually like him to have a smaller part. Sometimes less screentime actually makes a character more memorable and interesting.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everything daventor said. Well, except for the having grown up with some 1985 version. I was just being born so I happily missed those childhood nightmares.

I'm also excited for Fry, Rickman and Hathaway but am PRAYING that Depp's role is small and just being played up in the trailer for the star-power. However, I sadly doubt it. The only thing Burton loves more than Helana Bonham Carter is Johnny Depp.

Sort of off-topic, but I made the mistake of watching Burton's "reimagining" of my favorite movie "Planet of the Apes" and now I feel nothing but horrible things for the man. I hope Alice in Wonderland can win me over again.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by daventor:
I actually think I like the glimpses it shows of Depp's performance, though I wonder if the trailer overplays his part (what I mean is: will he be there onscreen with Alice pretty much the whole time or will he have a smaller supporting role, just popping in and out).

Depp as The Mad Hatter is probably one of the biggest selling points of this movie; everyone knows how he excels with far-from-normal characters.

As far as I can remember, the Mad Hatter doesn't have a whole lot of screen time in the whole story, but Depp's protrayal of him (as well as the collaboration with Burton) is a major draw.

And drawing in an audience is the purpose of the trailer, after all.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
... but a live action that starred Carol Channing as the White Queen. There were a lot of famous people in it from what I see on IMDB, for anyone wanting to look it up, it's the 1985 version of the story. I vividly recall running and hiding from the Jaberwocky when I was younger.

Oh my gosh, me, too! I'd run down the hall, turn the corner into my bedroom and taking a flying leap onto my bed because the Jabberwocky lived under it.

This is the same one with Sammy Davis, Jr. and Ringo Starr?? (looks up) Yes, that's it! I so badly want to find a good copy but don't want to have to pay an extravagant amount for it.

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.