FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BB in California once again. Come One Come All.

Author Topic: BB in California once again. Come One Come All.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been going back and forth on trying to get the California Hatrackers together. I suppose part of me thinks nobody REALLY cares, but I'm not sure why I believe that, I've always had a fantastic time every time I get together with you folks.

I'll be driving down to California on August 8th, and I'll be there until 15th, maybe even the 16th. I'll be in Los Angeles most likely the entire time, specifically Newport beach area.

I missed rivka and ketchupqueen last year, but I would like to make ammends. If any hatrackers would like to meet up for dinner or for games, post in this thread. I think we still have a good amount of time to work things out.

I'll have access to a car, and I'm willing to drive a fairly significant amount of time (two hours each way max?) to get to a meeting place.

[Smile]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T:man
Member # 11614

- posted      Profile for T:man   Email T:man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaving Cali on the eighth, woulda been fun tho'.
Posts: 1574 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be kidless and fancy-free on Sunday the 9th, so that would be my (fairly strong) preference. My place is certainly an option (none of the SoCal clump has even seen my new place, come to think of it!) or we can go to one of the many kosher restaurants in L.A. (the same one as last time or something Completely Different) or we could go somewhere for a picnic.

Wait, y'all can't do restaurants on Sunday, right? Ok, scratch that one (unless Sunday doesn't work for some other reason).

Looking forward to seeing you and your wife again! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The bay area is much nicer than so-cal. Especially San Jose. We put the Super Fun in Superfund!

You should come here next time.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I love the bay area. I live about 2 hours away from it but I would make the drive for a get-together.

[ July 30, 2009, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Nick ]

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pixiest: One of my best friends is getting married in about a year and she just moved to Frisco, so I imagine I'll be in the bay area for her reception, I'll definitely visit then.

rivka: I would love to see your new place, but yes Sunday is no good for eating out. If you'd like us to mess up your kitchen cooking a meal that's fine, or we can go out on another day in the week. [Wink]

Nick: thanks for being willing to make the drive, I know it's obnoxious, but I promise to be so awesome it's totally worth it.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
We will be driving to Palm Springs on the 9th and returning home on the 14th. Looks like we will miss you this trip as well.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Squirrel:
We will be driving to Palm Springs on the 9th and returning home on the 14th. Looks like we will miss you this trip as well.

This is becoming a tradition Mama Squirrel. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

I didn't volunteer my kitchen. [Wink] Anyway, it's the wrong size and shape for multiple people trying to be in there at once. In the past I have found that setting up a buffet (fruit, veggies, deli meats, bread, chips, salads and condiments, etc.) works well. That's what I was thinking.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, I think Nick was offering to drive to the Bay Area if you were there, rather than making the drive to SoCal.

And yes, you do keep showing up while we're away. What's up with you avoiding us?

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Papa Moose:
quote:
BlackBlade, I think Nick was offering to drive to the Bay Area if you were there, rather than making the drive to SoCal.
You just shattered my perfect use of ignorance to instill guilt.

quote:
And yes, you do keep showing up while we're away. What's up with you avoiding us?
Don't play your little mind games with me, I'm the one hurting here! [Big Grin]

rivka: I think a buffet would be a fantastic idea, it will probably be the one night while I'm in California that I eat any vegetables!

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time check dates before you make plans. Problem solved. ;-)
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Heh.

FYI, it turns out there is a small possibility that I may have kids. But if it's at my place, that's fine.

I noticed a week ago that kq hasn't posted much lately. I'll send her an email.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Mama Squirrel: I may not come with my family next year, if things pick up with my job and I move, but I'll make an effort to give you guys more advanced notice when I'm in town again.

rivka: Thanks a bunch! It wouldn't be as fun without the ketchup crew.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We can do the 9th, provided it's for the evening. (I'm teaching a lesson in church that day so I can't miss any; we get done around 2:00. It then takes time to get the kids fed and changed and such-like, and then would probably take about an hour to an hour and a half to get down there. So, late afternoon/evening.)

As per tradition, we will bring Martinelli's, if that's an okay time for everyone. [Smile]

Rivka, I'll e-mail you back.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Works for me.
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I could possibly trek over there with my family from Vegas. My wife has family in Long Beach, so maybe we can make a weekend out of it. I won't make any promises, but I'll check with the better half...

I've only previously met East-coast Hatrackers back, what... 4? 5? years ago. It'd be nice to see what the other side is like. [Smile]

Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That would be very cool. [Smile]
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

- posted      Profile for Godric 2.0   Email Godric 2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, pencil us in... Are our plans set to meet at rivka's place? If so, I'll send an email for directions.
Posts: 382 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The ketchups can't be there until at least 4:30, sounds like, but I'd suggest 3-ish, and people are welcome to come and go as they like.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The ketchups can't be there until at least 4:30, sounds like, but I'd suggest 3-ish, and people are welcome to come and go as they like.

You heard it here first folks, rivka's house is now a hospice. [Wink]
rivka
Member # 4859

Sure. Y'all can use the living room floor. Just keep in mind that it is not carpeted and you'll need to bring your own bedding. [Razz]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Sure. Y'all can use the living room floor. Just keep in mind that it is not carpeted and you'll need to bring your own bedding. [Razz]

Psh! You're hospice is not very hospitable. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

'Scuse me, but it's better than many hospices I know of.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I read a hilarious account of a hospice in Round Ireland with a fridge recently. He ended up sleeping in the doghouse rather than spending a second night in the hospice. [Razz]

So, we'll be there when we get there, we'll possibly head straight out from church, I'll see if I can get it together to pack a lunch beforehand...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

So it looks like the evening of the 9th is what we are going for, and we're meeting at rivka's funhouse. I'll probably get there hopefully as early as 6 but likely later than that.

What can Tiffany and I bring to the buffet rivka?

rivka
Member # 4859

Can you bring ice?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Can you bring ice?

That should be easy enough, it can be aquired at just about any gas station or grocery store. That it?
rivka
Member # 4859

That would be very helpful. [Smile]
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

We're still somewhat questionable, but I'd give it a 90% likelihood we'll make it... What can we bring?
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

rivka- also sent you an email from your profile for your address.
rivka
Member # 4859

Responded!
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well I'm on my way over, see you folks soon!

*slings bag of ice over back*

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Well, I had a fantastic time! Hope Mrs. BB didn't drive the ketchup brood into exhaustion. [Smile]

rivka: really liked your new place, also I shall strive to learn the subtle differences between ham and other sandwich meats. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Subtle differences" as in "one is eaten at Rivka's house, and one is not?" [Razz]
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
The Pixiest: One of my best friends is getting married in about a year and she just moved to Frisco, so I imagine I'll be in the bay area for her reception, I'll definitely visit then..

Just fyi: don't call it that. Please.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
"Subtle differences" as in "one is eaten at Rivka's house, and one is not?" [Razz]

That is pretty subtle. I mean, I've never tried to tell the difference between beef and veal based on location.

That was fun. [Smile]

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
The Pixiest: One of my best friends is getting married in about a year and she just moved to Frisco, so I imagine I'll be in the bay area for her reception, I'll definitely visit then..

Yeah, that has a very different meaning on this board.

And in the Dallas metro area, for that matter. [Wink]

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:

Yeah, that has a very different meaning on this board.

And in the Dallas metro area, for that matter. [Wink]

I'm always in the market for more definitions, care to indulge me?

------

Orincoro: I'm not particularly attached to the word, so sure thing.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Frisco is a member here.

Frisco is also a city north of Dallas. We used to go out there for minor league ball games (the "Roughriders" I think.) And I think the 7-Up/Dr. Pepper bottling plant is around there too.

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

So sorry we couldn't make it... But it was a great excuse to get away for the weekend. We went to the Getty museum, visited my wife's family and made it to the beach (Audrey's first time).

Sadly, that's probably the only "vacation" we'll have this year.

We'll take a raincheck for the next time.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Godric 2.0:
We'll take a raincheck for the next time.

We'll hold you to that. [Smile]
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Sorry I couldn't make it. I couldn't afford to go to SoCal AND Las Vegas this summer. [Frown]

Wait.. Have you been to Vegas already? That's my sad state of being (TM) at the moment. Feel free to drop me a line if you're visiting and I can hook you up with some Barry Manilow tickets... Or something else if that's not your style. [Big Grin]
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Papa Moose:
quote:
You just shattered my perfect use of ignorance to instill guilt.
[Frown] Sorry I couldn't make it, I can't afford a trip to SoCal and Vegas in one summer.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Why is my reply to Nick before his post??? Freaky...
Nick
Member # 4311

Sorry I deleted my post because I messed up the quotes.

I have not gone to Vegas yet. I'm going there for my soon-to-be-brother-in-law's bachelor party. 1-2 of October. [Smile]

Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Ha! Bachelor party in Vegas... How original. [Wink]

Yep... Manilow's in town those dates. If you want tickets, they're on me.

But if you're interested in anything else here, let me know...

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Godric 2.0:
Yep... Manilow's in town those dates. If you want tickets, they're on me.

You can get free Manilow tickets? Why didn't I know this when I was there last summer?
Godric 2.0
Member # 11443

Sorry... Wasn't very active here then. Actually, I'm still not, but I at least lurk consistently these days.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.