FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Science fiction song lyrics

Author Topic: Science fiction song lyrics
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
There are songs out there which have lyrics with a science fiction theme. Some are novelty songs, like "Purple People Eater" (Sheb Wooley), and some are explicit, like "Come Sail Away" (Styx), Starman (Bowie) and everything on Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds", and some are more subtle, like "39" (Queen). Some are borderline, like Bowie's "Space Oddity" and Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" and Elton John's "Rocket Man".

I'm trying to put together a playlist of songs like that. Can anyone think of some more?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Highway men, first time I heard that song I almost didnt believe it was Willy Nelson Johnny Cash and other country stars with that wierd ass ending.

As far as campy Dr. Demento- Star Trekkin, Marvin I Love You, Electro Boy (warning, its from The Mighty Boosh) and thats all I can remember right now.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to look into prog rock. Yes, Genesis, etc.

Yes actually did a song based on Starship Troopers, for example. I'm not as familiar with their canon as I should be, but they have fairly consistent Scifi/fantasy overtones. Emerson Lake and Powell did "Mars, Bringer of War" from Holtz's "The Planets"... not sure if that counts for you.

Rush has a bunch: Bytor and the Snow Dog, Rivendell, The Necromancer, The Fountain of Lamneth, 2112, The Twilight Zone, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres, Red Barchetta, Countdown, The Body Electric, and The Manhattan Project all tell SciFi/fantasy stories, and there are overtones of it in much more of their stuff.

I recall reading somewhere that all Coheed and Cambria's work is supposed to be one giant scifi story.

Iron Maiden and Dream Theater have a lot of scifi/fantasy influence as well.

Queensryche's concept album Empire is a scifi story.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wooden Ships by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. At least, on the Woodstock recording I have they say, "it's a bit of a science fiction song" so I would take that as evidence.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say Styx's "Mr. Roboto" is more sci-fi than "Come Sail Away". The latter only has one line in it that qualifies, but the former has a whole story behind it.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adenam
Member # 11902

- posted      Profile for adenam           Edit/Delete Post 
The Saga Begins by Weird Al.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
YO---DA YO YO YO DAAAA
Y O D A YODAAAAA

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Oh, I forgot about 905 by The Who. And Rush did a whole SF thing, too.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Emerson Lake and Powell did "Mars, Bringer of War" from Holtz's "The Planets"... not sure if that counts for you.

(Palmer, not Powell)
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
not the same genre, but a hip hop artist created an entire album set in the year 3030, with sci-fi,anime, and video games cited as his influence.

Album is Deltron 3030

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The Phoenix. "For my wings are made of tungsten / and my flesh is glass and steel..."
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogbreath
Member # 11879

- posted      Profile for Dogbreath           Edit/Delete Post 
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips is a great one.
Posts: 2222 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Humans Are Dead" - The Flight of the Conchords

"Fly Like an Eagle" (yeah, I know that's kind of stretching it)- Steve Miller Band or Seal

"Kryptonite"- 3 Doors Down

"Superman"- Five for Fighting
"100 Years"- Five for Fighting

"Virtual Insanity"- Jamiriquai
"Cosmic Girl"- Jamiriquai

"Wonderboy"- Tenacious D

"2040"- Spymob

"Bug Eyes"- Dredg

"The End of the World as We Know It"- REM

"Broken Toy"- Keane (yeah, it's not really scifi, but it has such a strange mood to it and makes me think of the movie Artificial Intelligence)

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

Gary Jules Mad World isnt really a science fiction song, but it deserves a spot on a syfy (theyre switching Im swytching) playlist. Between Donnie Darko and the Gears of War ads its always struck a mysterous chord with me.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all of Slipknot's album "MKFR" is about the RPG Werewolf: the Apocalpyse... not sure if that qualifies.

There's also "Fett's Vette" by MC Chris and "Yellow Lasers" by MC Frontalot.

Also, "Yoda", "Jurassic Park" etc. by Weird Al Yankovic.

And "Chewbacca" from the Clerks soundtrack.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
"100 Years"? Why?

Also, what about that Led Zeppelin song that mentions the Lord of the Rings?

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by AchillesHeel:
Gary Jules Mad World isnt really a science fiction song, but it deserves a spot on a syfy (theyre switching Im swytching) playlist. Between Donnie Darko and the Gears of War ads its always struck a mysterous chord with me.

Not to mention the fact that they're using it in previews for Flashforward. Still, I'm trying to find stuff where it's in the lyrics. Particularly if it's subtle, like "39".
Lisa
Member # 8384

Oh, "In the Year 2525".
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
"Fly Away" by Lenny Kravitz
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Radiohead? "Subterranean Homesick Alien" and "Paranoid Android" are kind of obvious choices.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ironman" by Black Sabbath has nothing to do with the Marvel comic character, but is a narrative about a time traveler who is metamorphised into an immobile robot during his journey, suffers the presence of future humans, then regains life and attacks them with his new internal weapons.

Ah, romance.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Fly Like an Eagle" (yeah, I know that's kind of stretching it)- Steve Miller Band or Seal
It might be stretching it from a lyrics standpoint, but the SMB version is one of the most sci-fi sounding things I've ever heard. Forget Seal.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
quote:
Emerson Lake and Powell did "Mars, Bringer of War" from Holtz's "The Planets"... not sure if that counts for you.

(Palmer, not Powell)
Nope. It's Powell on that song.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

Tara, I suggested "100 Years" because there's a line where the singer mentinons he and his lover "making [their] way back from Mars." It's only one line, but I figured I'd put it out there for consideration.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" by Leonard Nimoy?

oh. you said Music.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:

(Palmer, not Powell)
Doh! My apologies. [Smile] You are clearly much more educated about prog rock than I am. [Hat]

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Carmen Miranda's Ghost is Haunting Space Station Three by Leslie Fish

Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde by John Entwistle, "B" side of The Who's single "Call Me Lightning."

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a whole genre of folk songs that have an SF orientation. It's called filksinging. Apparently there are lots of songs with funny interesting lyrics. Check it out. Wikipedia article about filk.

[ August 03, 2009, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
There's "Planet called Zydeco" and "Truck Drivin' Vampire" by Michael Longcor, too, speaking of folk songs. He's got a bunch of fantasy songs on one of his albums writtena bout Mercedes Lackey novels.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

(Palmer, not Powell)
Doh! My apologies. [Smile] You are clearly much more educated about prog rock than I am. [Hat]

--Mel

Though the Karn Evil 9 trilogy by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer is quite definitely science fiction.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Cold Play?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:

--Mel

[Smile] we coo.

Or at least as cool as fuddy duddies discussing music that was uber-geeky 20-30 years ago when it came out can be [Cool]

daventor
Member # 11981

Oh, dur! I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Joss Whedon would be a good source of scifi-ish songs:

(1) Firefly Theme
(2) Anything from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

Flying Fish
Member # 12032

- posted      Profile for Flying Fish   Email Flying Fish         Edit/Delete Post 
Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" -- because history shows again and again how Nature points out the folly of Man....

"Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter group. No lyrics, but still an overall Frankenstein feel....

"Starship Trooper" by Yes

That Three Dog Night song "In the Country" ("before the breathing air is gone/ before the sun/ is just a bright star in the nighttime...."

And a group called Hawkwind supposedly did whole albums based on Michael Moorcock's writing, although I've never listened to them....

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

And "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden(?)
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

and "Grey Seal" by Elton John, Bernie Taupin
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

"Journey to the Center of Your Mind" by Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
"Martian Girl" by the Aquabats, as well as about 50% of their other songs have a SciFi vibe to them.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

Isn't there a Neil Young song in which he meets "a Man from Mars, who picked up my guitar, and played a traveling song...."

And doesn't Blondie's Debbie Harry meet a "Man from Mars," in "Rapture," and is that the first rap song ever, as some claim?

Flying Fish
Member # 12032

And when I was young I always thought "Roundabout" by Yes was a science fiction song because ".... marlins come out of the sky .... and they stand there!"

And the keyboard player for Yes, Rick Wakeman, did an entire concept album "Journey to the Center of the Earth," which I accidentally bought and listened to once.

Flying Fish
Member # 12032

If we may allow some fantasy to slide in there, Cream scores a neat trifecta with "Deserted Cities of the Heart," "Those were the Days" (set in Atlantis), and "Tales of Brave Ulysses."
Flying Fish
Member # 12032

"I'm a Boy" by The Who.

In a future where parents can select their offspring from a genetic menu, a man orders four daughters, but mistakenly gets 3 girls and a boy (who is pressured to become a transvestite).

Flying Fish
Member # 12032

"Telstar" by the Tornados (again, an instrumental, but a very moving and optimistic piece, taken in context of the cold war and space race, a tribute to one of America's first sattelites)

"Hypnotized" by Fleetwood Mac (a really weird flying saucer abduction/ interrupted journey thing)

"The Blob" by The Five Blobs

[ August 04, 2009, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Flying Fish ]

Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by daventor:
Oh, dur! I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but Joss Whedon would be a good source of scifi-ish songs:

(1) Firefly Theme
(2) Anything from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

I was at a Board Game Design/Sci-Fi meetup last night, and they said there's going to be a showing of Serenity here with Dr. Horrible shown on the big screen as well. But it's on a Saturday before Shabbat ends. Gah!
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

If we're goign to do media-inspired stuff:

Steve Hackett (of GTR/old Genesis) did a concept album for Narnia. When the movies came out there was a pretty good set of Christian music on a compilation inspired by the movie

Some Anime theme music is quite good... notably Witch Hunter Robin, Trigun, and Gunslinger Girl.

You might want to consider the Disco version of the Star Wars theme music...

Other thoughts:
"Rapture" is not a rap, but it would qualify as spoken word.

If we're counting songs that only have title references, we might add "Supermassive Black Hole" by Muse.

Filk is often hilarious. "Star Trekkin'" and "Existential Blues" are old faves.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.