FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should I take a Java Programming class?

Author Topic: Should I take a Java Programming class?
Xann.
Member # 11482

- posted      Profile for Xann.   Email Xann.         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been slowly thinking about taking a programming class. My first thoughts were to buy a book and teach myself, but I don't think that would get me very far. Right now I am just wondering if the people of hatrack think that this would be a good place to start programming. I know that next year when I start college I will be taking one or a few of these classes and want to really see what it is like.

Class details.

Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If the instructor is the one who wrote the course description, I'm suspicious; using the word "subroutines" to describe anything in Java reveals a certain approach to programming, one that is rarely consistent with good java style.

A good class is certainly one approach to learning to program, though.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

This is another class I was able to find from the same school. C/C++ this time though. There is a few other schools in the area that have alot more credibility than this school though. I am looking into them now.
Posts: 549 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Given the duplication of "subroutines", I doubt the instructors are writing the descriptions (or they're mostly relying on a template). The Java class would probably be fine.

Something worth asking: what do you hope to get out of programming?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
The discussion of applets, at least as a major bullet point, seems a little anachronistic. No one really writes applets any more.
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

I really just want to see if I enjoy it. Right now I am enrolled in both my high school and a technical high school where I have and will be taking a computer systems class.
I like messing around with the hardware side of computers, I like messing around with tweaking and fixing computers and stuff. Right now I am planning on going into Computer Science in college, but I might want to shy away from that and go towards more hardware based things based on if I like and am any good at programming.

fugu13
Member # 2859

Yeah, you sound like more of a Computer Engineering/Electrical Engineering sort.
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to teach programming, and am a highly experienced Java developer. Not sure how well my teaching style would translate over the web though, as I am a white-board and marker kind of instructor.

I can't say how much my classes taught me about programming, but I suppose it can't hurt. Writing my own code (for fun and later for money) is what developed my skills. You do need to get your foot in the door, and a class could help with that.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get a listing of some past programming assignments from each class? In my experience, the best thing about programming classes were the assignments. A good course will have the assignments planned out just right so that they will push you into making good use out of new while still being structured so that you can roughly figure out what needs to be done to arrive at the solution.

So given two courses that you are unsure about, I'd say that the best determining factor would be to look at the quality of the assignments, rather than the material on the syllabus.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xann.
Member # 11482

I looked up the teacher to these classes, a software consultant to IBM for eleven years. Seems to be teaching for fun, since he still seems to work for IBM. I am going to go for the Java class for now since it will fit into my schedule.

I will keep you all updated on whether or not I am the programming type.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.