FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » new ipod help (mayfly)

Author Topic: new ipod help (mayfly)
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, here's my problem. My old ipod stopped working about 4 months ago. it turns on and everything, it just wont make sound when i play it through headphones or the iHome. I caved in and got a new ipod today. the computer the old ipod's music was on got wiped before the start of the year. How the heck do I transfer my music from old ipod to new ipod?

I thought, being Apple and all, this would be really intuitive, but I'm having the worst luck figuring it out.

I tried googling an answer, and Yahoo! Answers, but both returned TONS of crummy advertising for scams, or demos that only transfer 10 songs unless you buy the full version, etc.

So if anyone can tell me a free way to do this,please help me! I miss my music, i caved and spent the $300 on a new ipod, and now i still can't get to my music. Very frustrating indeed.

Thanks in advance,

-krynn

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you transfer the music from the old iPod to your computer, and then from the computer to the new iPod?
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Music Rescue. If you're using the free version (which I use) you'll simply need to click the nag button every 100 files copied, somewhat irritating but rather mindless after a while.

This will put all the music onto your computer, which you can then upload to the new iPod via iTunes.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Threads
Member # 10863

- posted      Profile for Threads   Email Threads         Edit/Delete Post 
If I delete a song on my computer while it is still on my iPod then iTunes asks me if I want to copy it over the next time that I plug my iPod in. As long as your iPod is still registered with your iTunes installation then you shouldn't need a 3rd-party program.
Posts: 1327 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
But since he has a "new" installation of iTunes (due to the wipe), if he hooks up his old iPod to his new his computer without first backing up his music it will likely be wiped.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Threads:
If I delete a song on my computer while it is still on my iPod then iTunes asks me if I want to copy it over the next time that I plug my iPod in. As long as your iPod is still registered with your iTunes installation then you shouldn't need a 3rd-party program.

No, he's got a new installation of itunes, so the program isn't going to recognize the ipod, and he'll have to wipe it before connecting it to his new program.

There are a ton of programs for this, (actually you don't even need a program, just make the invisible files visible) but in future, realize that apple doesn't want to make ripping music from an ipod an easy part of the device's function. Back up your music if it is important to you.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.