FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Home Security Systems

Author Topic: Home Security Systems
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbor two houses down was recently robbed during the daytime in the middle of the week. Luckily, all that the thief stole was cash. This has got me a little bit shook. I thought I was in a decent town and neighborhood, but I suppose things like this can happen anywhere.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on installing a HSS? (Home security system) Any thing in particluar that I should look for, or any recommended companies? Good questions to ask or info to look for when I am shopping around?

Now I am a bit paranoid that someone for the security company has an inside track to break in.

Just you guys know, we have 3 doors to the house. The front door has a knob-lock and deadbolt on its own key, and so does the back garage door. The other back door is a sliding door the locks on the side and at the bottom with no key. All of the windows have standard locks.

Is there any other basic security upgrades I can install?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure all of your doors and windows (accesible upstairs windows as well) are locked when you leave. Take a walk around the outside of your house and look for any easy points of entry especially in the rear of the house. Don't leave ladders outside or anything like that.
Having a sign outside or in the window that is for a security system is a deterrent as well.
Many times these are fast crimes of opportunity so basic security goes a long way

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Any kids or pets?
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RivalOfTheRose
Member # 11535

- posted      Profile for RivalOfTheRose           Edit/Delete Post 
No kids or pets, where would I get a fake sign?
Posts: 468 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a Beware of Dog sign at a petstore like PetSmart, or you can normally find one in places like Lowe's or Home Depot.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly geese and goats make good guard animals.

Or you could be the "scary" neighbor. You know...put up pentacles and Blair Witch project type decorations, and sit out on the porch of an evening polishing your knives and guns. Talk to yourself constantly, and watch people coming and going with narrowed eyes.

Or, make sure you know your neighbors and have relationships with them. Look out for each other. Truly, the best thing you can do is be aware. Out here in the sticks where I live, neighbors gossip about unusual vehicles or the neighbor kids' activities. Sometimes that's annoying, but it's also really good to know if unusual things are happening in your neighborhood.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have kids or pets then my recommendation is to just slot for a real home security system.

90% of the benefit comes from the sign you get out front, but you want that backed up by a real system.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.