FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Avatar" previews

Author Topic: "Avatar" previews
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/2778022/Breathtaking-glimpse-into-the-future/

Avatar had sneak 15 mniute previews in Wellington NZ yesterday. I didn't see it but it was featured on the news last night and the people who saw the preview were absolutely blown away!

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the trailer last night and it looked awesome.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sala
Member # 8980

- posted      Profile for Sala           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, it sure has captured my attention!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
looks like watching a cinematic in NWN2.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daventor
Member # 11981

- posted      Profile for daventor           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how to feel about Avatar just yet. James Cameron and others I think have definitely over-hyped it leading up to these final reveals. The visuals in the teaser trailer are pretty neat but not revolutionary to me, really (and I expected the alien forests to look more...alien). I haven't seen the visuals in 3D yet, though, and it is just a teaser so I can't pass full judgement yet. I really hope the movie's storyline is more nuanced than just "Boy, does the human race suck" and "Primitive peoples are always more noble and in harmony with nature than technologically advanced ones."
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just grateful there isn't any text saying, "Based on the..."

Original ideas, oh man oh man! Also how Cameron will nod to trucker culture in this movie is something I will be keeping an eye out for. I really want this movie to be everything he has said it will be. But if nothing else, I want it to expand what sorts of stories can be told on the screen.

edit: Oh snap! my post count is OVER 9000!!!!!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
As of now its just 9000, not over 9000. Just sayin'.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raymond Arnold:
As of now its just 9000, not over 9000. Just sayin'.

I actually scrambled about for a few minutes trying to find a place to post so nobody would say that, I couldn't bring myself to post frivolously. Well, at least this time I couldn't.

In any case it's clearly over 9000 now.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
New three and a half minute full trailer

I think it looks very impressive.

I've read some of the background, and it looks like Cameron has pulled out all the stops both technologically, and in an almost Tolkien like manner to try and create depth for his alien race. He hired a linguist from USC to create an entire language for the Na'vi, and hired an ethnomusicologist to create a musical profile for them, among many other touches.

What it looks like to me is yeah, another story in the vein of "natural primitive is better than technologically advanced but morally bankrupt." But I think it almost looks more directly like a Pocahontas remake. Advanced people come to untouched primitive land with natives living in harmony but come to blows because the newcomers want access to local resources? And there's some sort of love story involved with an outsider falls for an important girl in the native species? It's a sci-fi futuristic Pocahontas remake, though with, you know, a lot of differences and innovations.

I went from zero interest to can't wait to see this during that trailer. This should be pretty cool.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Lyrhawn: Well, the dangers of technology have always been a Cameronesque topic in his movies. I think True Lies may be the only one that doesn't deal with it.

I agree it's looking alot like Pocahontas. I have always been thrilled with Cameron's work, and hence I've been so excited to see this for a long time, I just hope he doesn't let me down this time.

The new trailer blew me away, it's hard to tell from a trailer but I hope he does a good job on integrating the CG with his actors/actresses.

Also I love that they brought Sigourney Weaver back into the fray.

jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I was feeling it until the main premise became apparent. Stupid "alternate perspective" movies, it's like those teen movies where the cool kid would go out with the nerd girl on a bet, but then finds out he actually likes her and woah isn't so weird how you can like people from different social groups and stuff. Meh.

Plus it's got Michelle Rodriguez in it, who is like a bad movie charm. S.W.A.T., The Fast and the Furious, Resident Evil, oh yes, you want generic tough latina devoid of personality well here's your girl!

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the plot does look a little generic. I'm not expecting the second coming or anything but it still looks good.
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
The new trailer blew me away, it's hard to tell from a trailer but I hope he does a good job on integrating the CG with his actors/actresses.
From what I've read, he's using a lot of technological innovations that advance on the techniques used for Gollum and Davey Jones.

He created a new method to use motion capture on facial expressions, so the CG characters can share the same facial expressions that the live actors make who wear the capture suits.

He's also using new cameras and computers that allow him to look at a screen that shows the CG background landscape while they are filming, rather than using a green screen to fill in the blanks later. It's basically a huge game engine that allows him to pan around the environment to see what the scene will actually look like. Sounds like a takeoff of some of the innovations that George Lucas and Peter Jackson first used and developed.

Even if I didn't find all that fascinating, the story itself, the visual appeal, and the richness of the whole thing looks really inviting. I hope it's 3 hours long.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Lyrhawn: Ha! Me too. I'll probably watch The Abyss and Terminator 2 just prior to watching Avatar. There's actually a fantastic article about James Cameron in The New Yorker. You should check it out.
The Black Pearl
Member # 11788

- posted      Profile for The Black Pearl   Email The Black Pearl         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously need to rewatch T2. One of my favorite movies.

Not a big fan of Titanic though, and hasn't made a movie in 15 years.

The locales, weaponry, monster designs all look cool. The aliens look alright.

Posts: 1407 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tara
Member # 10030

- posted      Profile for Tara   Email Tara         Edit/Delete Post 
So this is not the Avatar the Last Airbender movie...

...Well, now I know.

Posts: 930 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
As terrible as A:TLA is going to be, I prefer that "Avatar" over Cameron's.

I CANNOT understand the excitement. Special effects, which are not nearly as interesting as I was led to believe, do not make a boring plot watchable.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

For the sake of curiosity, what about it is such a turnoff?
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

You said it yourself: this is pretty much a remake of Pocohontas. Not only that, but a remake of Disney Pocohantas as opposed to actual history. While it is certainly possible to do that well (and I suspect Cameron will), the plot by itself is not anything new or particularly interesting.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by daventor:
I really hope the movie's storyline is more nuanced than just "Boy, does the human race suck" and "Primitive peoples are always more noble and in harmony with nature than technologically advanced ones."

Yeah, this is what is bothering me about the trailers I've seen for Avatar. Cinematically it looks awesome and I wanted to see it, until it became clear it was another "the human race is the evil bad guys" theme. [Frown]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
quote:
Originally posted by daventor:
I really hope the movie's storyline is more nuanced than just "Boy, does the human race suck" and "Primitive peoples are always more noble and in harmony with nature than technologically advanced ones."

Yeah, this is what is bothering me about the trailers I've seen for Avatar. Cinematically it looks awesome and I wanted to see it, until it became clear it was another "the human race is the evil bad guys" theme. [Frown]
I don't think Cameron will tell a story like that. Humans are always the bad guys either directly (The Abyss) or indirectly (Terminator) in his movies, but his heroes are also always humans.

A common theme in his films is that technology when unbridled destroys us. Having said that, his films always talk about how awesome technology can be. In The Abyss, nuclear weapons might destroy us, but look how cool submersible tech is. In Terminator we make machines that will destroy us as a race, and yet in Terminator 2 a machine is what saves the human race. In Aliens our technology makes us too confident in the face of a primitive savage alien race with more drive, but in the end we use a robot suit to bludgeon the thing to death. In Titanic our faith in technology makes us sneer at nature, but nature destroys the ship, the ship however is to be admired for the sheer craftsmanship that went into it.

If the main character in Avatar stays in his new alien body and lives with the aliens at the end, he still accomplished that through the use of technology.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The moral being, it's okay to use technology to make us more primitive.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Only if by "primitive" you mean "moral."

If half the message is that unrestrained use of technology leads to immoral actions, like the destruction of an innocent species/rape of a planet, then the other half of the message is that technology can also help bridge the divide between two species to bring us closer together. Technology in that case becomes an instrument of good and evil almost equally, depending on who uses it and how.

I don't necessarily see that message as having anything to do with making us more primitive. It's merely a tool of communication.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.