FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is it wrong for me to wish that my cell phone be stolen?

Author Topic: Is it wrong for me to wish that my cell phone be stolen?
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Darth_Mauve, we all have our temptations:

Is it wrong for me to wish that my cell phone be stolen out from under my work desk by the housekeeping staff? [Evil]

Little background: There have been a few strings in the past where folks in my office have had electronic devices and purses stolen if they forgot to lock them up. Obviously, they should have locked them up (or not left them behind at the end of the day at all).

So I wonder, would it be so wrong for me to purposefully leave my cell phone charging under the desk several nights in a row to see if someone steals it? I have a protection plan on it that would replace it with a similar phone in the event it is lost, stolen or broken. The battery has issues holding a charge for long, and for that reason alone I'd kind of like to replace it. I do not, however, want to upgrade because a) that would require upping my plan (the absolutely lowest) to one at least $15 more not to mention the difference in cost between the rebate and the new phone itself (easily $100) and b) I only plan to stay with this provider until the end of my contracted date (April '10) because by that point I will be switching to my future husband's provider and getting a new phone.

I left it here by accident last night, but it was still here come morning. [Cry]

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Throw it out, and lie. As soon as the operator tells you that you dont get your way demand a supervisor.
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just see about buying a replacement battery online (or even getting entire new phone from freecycle or craigslist or a friend)? It would very likely be cheaper than upgrading your plan and buying a new phone through your carrier.

[Edit - for random wrong punctuation]

[ August 27, 2009, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Stolen or lost really amount to the same thing I'd think, how could anyone prove one way or another? Intentionally letting it get stolen and lying about whether it was stolen don't seem any different to me morally.

You may want to consider that your replacement phone will be refurbished (I'm pretty sure) and so may develop it's own problems faster than an actual new phone.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I believe replacement policies cover damage or malfunction as well as loss. You might try calling them and asking if you can get a replacement since your battery doesn't hold a charge. See what they say. Mine replaced a phone that had one button not working, but I have to pay $50 (with my policy) when getting a phone replaced. Also there's a maximum of 2 per year that they will replace, so that used one replacement up. It was worth it, though. They sent me a brand new one for a replacement.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
If her phone is broken or stolen how can she call for a replacement? These phone people are devious.
Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Tatiana mentioned, you will likely have to pay a $50 deductible to actually replace the phone, whereas you could just buy a new battery off ebay or craigslist for as little as a few bucks depending on the model.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer, or wear fire proof clothing. [Wink]

My replacement batteries from ebay have been great, and cost less than a fourth of what the carrier charges for replacements. You might even be able to find a higher capacity battery [sometimes requiring an often-included new battery cover].

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
Being serious for a change, I think I will actually go over to the store around the corner during lunch to see if they can run a diagnostic. I stopped by one other time to ask about it, but the 45 minutes they said it would take was longer than the time I had. I've been lazy since. [Embarrassed]

A replacement battery is a good back up plan (fireproof clothing will be kept in mind).

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.