FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If you could have any car... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you could have any car...
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy with a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Not quite as good gas mileage as a Toyota Prius, but at least in the ballpark. And it is American made, which matters to me and a lot of others right now. Of course, the GM Volt might be better, but I'd want to wait and see if it is practical in common usage.

See, I figure the appeal of the sports car and the luxury car and the classic car are somewhat diminished if gas becomes rationed in the future, or you can't afford it. For me, the first purpose of a car is transportation. If it can't transport you, then it is worthless.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, the GM Volt might be better, but I'd want to wait and see if it is practical in common usage.
If your daily commute averages less than 40 miles, and you have access to an outside outlet for 8 hours a day, and you can afford the payments, then I'd say it's definitely practical - and a better value. Especially if we're going with initial cost not being an issue.

In fact, I suppose the Volt would actually be my "serious" answer to the question at hand.

I really want that car from The Wraith, though...

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You realize most Toyotas sold in the U.S. are made here, right, Ron?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
If money is truly no object, I want a custom-made plug-in-capable hybrid.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, Toyotas may be assembled in the U.S., but they still have a Japanese nameplate.

Now, I used to own a 1995 Chevy Geo Prism. Under the hood, it was a Toyota Corolla--also assembled in the U.S. But it had a U.S. manufacturer's nameplate.

In the near future, as more and more U.S. autoworkers lose their jobs forever, and some become embittered, perhaps to the point of violence and vandalism, driving a foreign made car--at least here in the Detroit metro area where I live--might involve increasing risk. I'm looking to the future.

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the near future, as more and more U.S. autoworkers lose their jobs forever, and some become embittered, perhaps to the point of violence and vandalism, driving a foreign made car--at least here in the Detroit metro area where I live--might involve increasing risk. I'm looking to the future.
I know Rivka already gave the eye-roll, but seriously...you're hoping for a future in which people are targeted for violence simply for the "crime" of purchasing a cheaper, better made car?
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ron wants to buy an America-made car from an American company. I personally don't see what's so eye-roll-worthy about that. And maybe I missed something, but I don't think he's actually hoping for a future where owners of foreign makes are targeted.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

So many people are like frogs in a skillet. Heat up the pan slowly, and they just sit there and get cooked. I've lived long enough to see an enormous change in the way people commonly behave. It is as if more and more restraints are being removed, and more and more people are freer to indulge the basest passions. It just takes a little intelligent extrapolation into the future to see what could easily become commonplace in a few years.
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have to weigh crash safety against safety from roving gangs of former UAW members.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Boy:
Ron wants to buy an America-made car from an American company.

That's actually not really what he said.

I actually don't particularly see the point of it being an American company, although I do see the point of preferring local manufacture. But regardless, that seems to me to have little to do with imaginary scenarios involving the mean Detroit streets.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.