FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What should I do?

Author Topic: What should I do?
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on my genealogy over the past few months. Focusing in on tracing all the descendants of my grandfather's grandfather's grandfather, Mordechai Orens.

One of the branches of the family descends from Mordechai's son Tanchum (I'm descended from a different son). There was a guy I corresponded with about a decade ago who was descended from Tanchum, and when I started working on the genealogy stuff again, I tried getting in touch with him again.

After several failures, I Googled him and found that he'd passed away in June.

There were notices online in some of the groups he took part in, so I contacted them to see if they had any information on his relatives. They said that his friends were unable to locate any family at all.

Now... we're talking a fifth cousin or so. He lived in Maryland, and I can't afford to go out there. Not to mention the fact that it's been a few months already. I have no idea how he was buried, or where he was buried. I don't know if he was Jewish or not (a distressing number of my relatives aren't, mostly because of intermarriage), but if he was, I suspect he wasn't given a Jewish burial. Or possibly a burial at all. He may have been cremated, for all I know.

Now... I've never so much as spoken to this cousin over the phone. I only exchanged some e-mails with him. Is there something I should be doing that I'm not?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hire a P.I.?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

I think I'm more concerned about what my responsibility is than how to get the genealogy stuff (though I have an interest in that as well).
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of responsibility might you have? I really don't have any idea.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

He was family, albeit distant. Maybe I should be checking to see that he was buried properly and all...?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If he were not, would you be able to do anything about it? I doubt you'd have any legal standing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not familiar with the intricacies. If you can't find out/he wasn't buried properly, would praying for him do any good?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't sound as if you have any responsibility here. Or ability to change things.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
My personal opinion is that you don't have a responsibility here, because someone that distantly related is so distant as not to be 'family' at all, on that basis alone that is.

I mean, I'll bet neither you nor anyone you know ever met or even heard of this man outside any family research, and the same can be said of him and anyone he knew about you. To me, that's not family in the way family has rights and responsibilities regarding one another above and beyond friends and strangers. That's someone who shares perhaps a small portion more DNA with you than a complete and total stranger.

That's not to say you can't feel a responsibility here, but if it were me, it'd be a responsibility I decided to assume on my own, just to another human being. And even then, who knows if as Tante says that will amount to anything tangible.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth_Mauve
Member # 4709

- posted      Profile for Darth_Mauve   Email Darth_Mauve         Edit/Delete Post 
Check the local newspapers for any funeral notices. They usually mention where and under what type service the funeral was held.

I am unfamiliar with the Jewish Funeral rites to know if you can or should do anything as a distant relative.

Posts: 1941 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.