FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fablehaven

Author Topic: Fablehaven
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm not necessarily the target demographic, but I just finished book 4 in this series (the 5th book in march of 2010 will be the last) and I must say I have enjoyed it so much.

Briefly described, Fablehaven is a world where magical creatures of all kinds definitely do exist, though some may have become a bit mythical due to oral tradition, and yet others are actually more fantastic than stories indicate. Because humans have subdued the world, what remains of these magical creatures are hidden inside preserves much like endangered species. Magical treaties govern what these magical creatures can and cannot due within the preserves as well as what their human caretakers can expect to happen if they break these rules. Introduce children into one of these preserves and you've got a volatile story. [Smile]

Brandon Mull's universe feels so intricately wrought and yet it feels so harmonious. I like that the brother and sister are normal siblings with some rivalries but ultimately they love each other. Every book has always had just enough intrigue to keep me interested at the beginning and then a steady increase of awesome that leaves you exhilarated by the end. I like that the character's plans feel planned. Occasionally the characters will even say what I am thinking like, "why don't we accomplish our objective this way?" promptly followed by an explanation.

It was kind of strange to be midway into the second book, only to find out that not only does the author live in Utah, but he is also a Mormon. I'll probably go to one of his book signings in the future.

But that's my two cents, I think the book series is fantastic, especially for children over the age of 10 maybe 12. I'll be getting the 5th book for sure, my only disappointment so far is that each book comes to an end.

I don't much care for the comparisons to Harry Potter, both series feel quite different to me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the first two. Haven't gotten any farther than that, but good YA lit.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the first one, and so did my 10 year old daughter. She's enjoying the second right now.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the first one was OK. For myself, I have no interest in reading more, but I will anyway so that I can talk about them with my kids, who have read them.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first two. My daughter has loved all 4. I'll probably get around to reading them someday.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the first one about 3/4 of the way through and then just didn't care if I kept reading anymore. But that's true of most fantasy I read these days, so I'm probably not a good one to go by. I don't even like Narnia.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I am committing thread necromancy, but I just finished book 5, "Keys to the Demon Prison." I was very pleased with the entire series as a whole. There's so much turning of tables in terms of plot but it works, I don't know how, but it does. I really like the dialogue, especially when the satyrs are talking. Each character really felt like they had their own voice. Book 5 wrapped everything up rather nicely, and while Mull has said that the series is concluded, he may tell other stories in the universe but as a stand alone book or series. I was impressed enough with the books that I'll probably read the first book of his next series, coming out next year without reading advanced reviews.

I honestly felt like since book 1, the stories have just gotten better and more enjoyable. I felt that there may have been just a titch too many characters by the end, and fortunately some of those extraneous characters are wiped out, but still there were still a few too many. But then again sometimes it's hard to predict if a new character will really take off or grow boring.

In any case, I think the entire series is worth reading once, I'll definitely read it with my children when they are old enough.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.